Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dealing with mental health problems whilst on holiday Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am writing this from my hotel room in NYC. I am here until Wednesday evening.
    I am a gay teenager and being in the closet has affected my mental health. I have told a few people, and the social aspect of school does help, but I am on holiday with my parents and younger sister.

The depression has been affecting my academic performance, as I had an anxiety attack during a History test a couple of days ago.

I am clearly depressed, as I feel isolated, moody, tired and have went off anything that I enjoy. I was at my favourite restaurant in the city tonight, and had almost no appetite.

So my question is: How do I deal with these issues for the next 5 days? My parents think something is up with me, but I can't tell them, and having no one else to talk to. I just can't deal with being in NYC and feeling so bad, not least because I feel that it would be a waste of a holiday.

ReputationRep:
    try and force yourself to go out as much as possible. maybe a little alcoholic help. ONLY suggesting these as temporary fixes but when you go back home, definitely try and see a professional for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe2001)
    I am writing this from my hotel room in NYC. I am here until Wednesday evening.
    I am a gay teenager and being in the closet has affected my mental health. I have told a few people, and the social aspect of school does help, but I am on holiday with my parents and younger sister.

The depression has been affecting my academic performance, as I had an anxiety attack during a History test a couple of days ago.

I am clearly depressed, as I feel isolated, moody, tired and have went off anything that I enjoy. I was at my favourite restaurant in the city tonight, and had almost no appetite.

So my question is: How do I deal with these issues for the next 5 days? My parents think something is up with me, but I can't tell them, and having no one else to talk to. I just can't deal with being in NYC and feeling so bad, not least because I feel that it would be a waste of a holiday.
    is it major depressive disorder or just general sadness?

we cant tell unless you see a professional ....

my advice would be to enjoy your holiday , not many people have the luxury of travelling like you do

ReputationRep:
    I know this might sound scary and a friend of mine went through something similar but you could come out to your parents. They might even suspect. You should feel no shame, being gay is not a choice, its how we are biologically wired before birth. (not that you should feel shame if it were a choice.) Your parents may well be relieved, knowing that you are not yourself because of this rather than the other stereotypical parent thoughts (is he on drugs etc) If they have a problem well its 2017 and they really shouldnt!

Having said that, they might go through the usual denial, anger, acceptance cycle of anybody being told 'big news.' As you are 16(?) your parents might say 'its a phase' but you probably know your own body/feelings by now.

I would tell your parents first before your sister though.

ReputationRep:
    Hello all. I'll give a quick update.
    Got through the holiday, and managed to have some fun in NYC. I was happy to get home and be able to spend more time online looking at things that are helpful to me as an LGBT person.
    I am still struggling academically as a result, and don't feel happy. I have gotten to the point where I need a new start: I don't have any true friends, and feel that I am living a life that someone else wants me to live, and that isn't helping my happiness.
    I think I am going to talk to my head of year tomorrow, who knows I am gay and is supportive.
    My main fear at the moment is coming out to my parents. It is something that I want to do, but I am frightened of how they will react. They are Catholic, and my dad has made some homophobic "jokes" in the past. Another thing is that I feel isolated, as I have basically been brought up in an exclusively heterosexual world, which means I have no one to relate to or look up to.

I don't think I am depressed, certainly felt it at that moment, but this ordeal has had an effect on my mental health for sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe2001)
    Hello all. I'll give a quick update.
    Got through the holiday, and managed to have some fun in NYC. I was happy to get home and be able to spend more time online looking at things that are helpful to me as an LGBT person.
    I am still struggling academically as a result, and don't feel happy. I have gotten to the point where I need a new start: I don't have any true friends, and feel that I am living a life that someone else wants me to live, and that isn't helping my happiness.
    I think I am going to talk to my head of year tomorrow, who knows I am gay and is supportive.
    My main fear at the moment is coming out to my parents. It is something that I want to do, but I am frightened of how they will react. They are Catholic, and my dad has made some homophobic "jokes" in the past. Another thing is that I feel isolated, as I have basically been brought up in an exclusively heterosexual world, which means I have no one to relate to or look up to.

I don't think I am depressed, certainly felt it at that moment, but this ordeal has had an effect on my mental health for sure.
    Giving you hugs sweetheart! You don't have to be unhappy. Just be yourself and don't be afraid to let it out. If your parents deserve your love, they will accept you unconditionally.
    Let me ask you, are you familiar with online psychiatrists? Maybe you can go for online support like betterhelp (this is where I go to when I have my AD episodes)
    You are not alone and you will never be alone. A lot of other teens are like you, but know that when you go to this site, you have someone to talk to and listen to you!

ReputationRep:
    Honestly mate , everything your feeling is nothing to be ashamed of , if there’s anything I know it is that no matter what you say , your parents will accept you , because for the most part , parents love their kids unconditionally which means what ever happens they will love their child , I hope your okay ! And I hope to hear how this went 👍🏻

ReputationRep:
    So, I am live at school (currently on lunch break).
    I am feeling an urge to come out, but every time I actually watch someone come out online, it always makes me cringe and feel really nervous. I have lived for almost 16 years, and have never really had the opportunity to ever be myself. It needs to change. Does anyone have any tips on how to do it?

ReputationRep:
    Name:  METOO CASTING.jpeg
Views: 13
Size:  413.2 KBbbc 3 are casting

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 24, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.