Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can I add "personal" experience to CV? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am applying to junior IT jobs as I have not undertaking any employer-based experience for technical IT roles.

But, I have modified my PC. I have fixed various advanced issues with my PC/laptop and for family and friend's computers. I have solved various technical issues both within the system as well as hardware. But, all of this is personal experience and support that I have provided.

How would I add that to my IT-based CV?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnEvolvedApe)
    I am applying to junior IT jobs as I have not undertaking any employer-based experience for technical IT roles.

But, I have modified my PC. I have fixed various advanced issues with my PC/laptop and for family and friend's computers. I have solved various technical issues both within the system as well as hardware. But, all of this is personal experience and support that I have provided.

How would I add that to my IT-based CV?
    Under Interests - in a section on IT, bullet pointed, being specific about the scope and scale of what you have done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Under Interests - in a section on IT, bullet pointed, being specific about the scope and scale of what you have done.
    That sounds like a good idea, but I would like it to be front-and-centre of my CV as my other experience might just instantly turn them away, since interests is usually at the end.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    That sounds like a good idea, but I would like it to be front-and-centre of my CV as my other experience might just instantly turn them away, since interests is usually at the end.
    You shouldn't be putting your other experience in your CV if it isn't relevant to this job application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    You shouldn't be putting your other experience in your CV if it isn't relevant to this job application.
    But then how'd I explain the gaps? Wouldn't that make my application less appealing?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    But then how'd I explain the gaps? Wouldn't that make my application less appealing?
    Put Relevant Experience rather than Experience as the title of the section - job done! No-one but the Security Services needs a continuous history for junior career roles.

ReputationRep:
    I list experience as "relevant experience" then follow it up with a "further experience" i.e for a science CV I put all my lab work under the first header and under the second put in my part time jobs in retail

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 15, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.