Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i’m currently in year 11 and i need to choose my A-Levels. I would like to pursue a career in medicine, my predicted GCSE results are:

Biology - 8
    Chemistry - 8
    Physics - 8
    German - 8
    Mandarin - A*b
    English Lit/Lang - 8
    RE - 8
    Maths - 8
    Geography - 8
    Business Studies - A*b

I’m aware I would need to at least choose Chemistry and Biology as A-Level subjects, but I don’t know which other one / two subjects i should choose. Honestly maths is one of my weaker and unfavored subjects, and physics is a subject i’d rather avoid for A-Level , it combines well with maths but it’s not something i feel id enjoy as much.

Also i’m indecisive on whether to take 3 or 4 A-Levels. I know the pros and cons of each, but I was wondering what do universities think of EPQ’s ? Especially imperial / kings if anyone here knows.

Which a level subjects would be best to choose (aside bio/chem) for applying for medicine at uni? would taking a language look better on an application? EPQ yes/no?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hey, you say one of your weaker areas is maths, yet you are predicted an 8?
    Can you learn to love either physics or maths?
    You don't have to take them but ideally if you want top pick of medicine courses you should take one of them.
    Many people I know, even though they are highly smart have dropped their fourth subject. You could apply for 4, then drop out of the one you aren't enjoying as much, if where you decide to go allows this.
    In regards to the EPQ, I would email the universities you are considering.

Hope this helped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lalliboo)
    Hey, you say one of your weaker areas is maths, yet you are predicted an 8?
    Can you learn to love either physics or maths?
    You don't have to take them but ideally if you want top pick of medicine courses you should take one of them.
    Many people I know, even though they are highly smart have dropped their fourth subject. You could apply for 4, then drop out of the one you aren't enjoying as much, if where you decide to go allows this.
    In regards to the EPQ, I would email the universities you are considering.

Hope this helped.

Hi, thanks for your reply, with maths, it’s just a subject I really don’t enjoy, regardless of the grade. I feel like by taking a subject I don’t enjoy, I won’t have the same outlook / effort as with one i do, like chemistry/biology. Although I’ve been told by a few people that it’s better to take maths with chemistry because content wise they combine well, so i’m torn with what to do. I’d rather take a more diverse subject that would stand out on an application, still a facilitating one though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspiring-student)
    Hi, i’m currently in year 11 and i need to choose my A-Levels. I would like to pursue a career in medicine, my predicted GCSE results are:

Biology - 8
    Chemistry - 8
    Physics - 8
    German - 8
    Mandarin - A*b
    English Lit/Lang - 8
    RE - 8
    Maths - 8
    Geography - 8
    Business Studies - A*b

I’m aware I would need to at least choose Chemistry and Biology as A-Level subjects, but I don’t know which other one / two subjects i should choose. Honestly maths is one of my weaker and unfavored subjects, and physics is a subject i’d rather avoid for A-Level , it combines well with maths but it’s not something i feel id enjoy as much.

Also i’m indecisive on whether to take 3 or 4 A-Levels. I know the pros and cons of each, but I was wondering what do universities think of EPQ’s ? Especially imperial / kings if anyone here knows.

Which a level subjects would be best to choose (aside bio/chem) for applying for medicine at uni? would taking a language look better on an application? EPQ yes/no?
    Maybe you’d enjoy a subject like psychology? - ur 3rd choice won’t matter as long as you have biology and chemistry
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspiring-student)
    Hi, thanks for your reply, with maths, it’s just a subject I really don’t enjoy, regardless of the grade. I feel like by taking a subject I don’t enjoy, I won’t have the same outlook / effort as with one i do, like chemistry/biology. Although I’ve been told by a few people that it’s better to take maths with chemistry because content wise they combine well, so i’m torn with what to do. I’d rather take a more diverse subject that would stand out on an application, still a facilitating one though?
    Yeah, I understand. I could have chosen physics or maths and although I got a 7 in maths, I really didn't enjoy it and would have been constantly stressed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.