Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lou's Journey to Vet School (A*AA) Watch

ReputationRep:
    My Journey to Vet School

Well, where to begin.
    I'm Lou and I'm in year 13, just about to do my A levels. My dream is to be studying Veterinary Medicine at university next year. Scary, right?
    What else.. I have a particular interest in large animals and am currently the carer of three lovely - if sometimes troublesome - horses. My baby, who is often more troublesome than lovely, is a big grey called Max.

Name:  IMG_4178.JPG
Views: 64
Size:  132.9 KB

I'm studying Biology, Chemistry and Ancient History at A level alongside EPQ. I also work Saturdays at a local clothes shop and the occasional Sunday at a riding stables, plus I'm learning to drive. Fun, fun, fun.

This is an attempt to keep me motivated and track my progress as I work towards my A levels. Over the summer, I would also like to learn a language and travel a bit, maybe to Italy and the Mediterranean.

Predicted Grades
    Biology (OCR) - A*
    Chemistry (Edexcel) - A
    Ancient History (OCR) - A
    EPQ (Edexcel) - A
    (Achieved C in Maths AS)

Exam Dates
    • Chemistry: Paper One - 05/06/2018; Paper Two - 12/06/2018; Paper Three - 20/06/2018
    • Biology: Paper One (Biological Processes) - 07/06/2018; Paper Two (Biological Diversity) - 11/06/2018; Paper Three (Unified Biology a.k.a everything plus some extra "synoptic" stuff) - 18/06/2018

Plus driving test on 20/12/2017

Work Experience
    12 weeks +
    • Small Animal Vets - 3 weeks
    • Equine Vets - 1 week
    • Mixed Practice Vets/Referral Hospital - 1 week
    • Cattery and Kennels - 2 weeks
    • Dairy/Beef Farm - 1 week
    • Sheep, alpacas and miniature horse farm - 1 week (plus 2 days helping with premature lambs)
    • Alpaca Farm - 1 week
    • Riding Stables/Livery Yard - 2 weeks(-ish)

Plus some volunteering at agricultural shows and horse events, and some taster days.

Application (last updated: 09/11/2017)
    • University of Bristol - applied, acknowledgement received, questionnaire completed
    • University of Surrey - applied, acknowledgement received, references uploaded, questionnaire completed invitation for interview received 08/11/17!!
    • University of Nottingham - applied, acknowledgement received, questionnaires completed
    • RVC, London - applied, acknowledgement received, questionnaire completed

Now the waiting game begins!

That's all for now I guess folks. Hopefully should update soon

ReputationRep:
    21/10/2017

Busy, busy, busy! I was originally thinking of doing weekly updates but I might have to do something closer to daily in order to get everything in!
    This week I've mostly been working on getting all the questionnaires I've been sent by universities done, which has certainly been interesting.

Name:  IMG_4187.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  510.5 KB

Wednesday meant it was driving lesson time, which thankfully all went well - and I didn't even stall! I helped out at my college open evening on Thursday as I'm subject ambassador for biology, which was suprisingly fun as I was really able to promote the subject and have a nice chat to some prospective students at the same time. This was followed by an inset day on Friday, which meant I could get cracking on some questionnaire questions, eek!

Oh, plus this week I got results back from my biology and chemistry tests. Drum roll...
    A* in biology, yay! Really pleased with this one, only dropped a couple of marks on some details here and there
    B in chemistry - still pleased with this as I was convinced I had completely flunked this test, but frustrating as I definitely feel I could do better than this.

Over half term I need to get all my questionnaires done for their deadlines so that will definitely be a priority! That's all for now - hopefully more regular updates, but we'll see how manic things get

Spoiler:
    Show

I have no idea why the photo is upside down and I can't get it to change so that's how it'll stay! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    i'm not too far off, i'm doing biology chemistry and history (+ french, but dropping that at AS)

i love having the mix, but definitely feel quite behind in history.. it's my only essay subject, but other people in my class usually do 2/3 essay subjects (english lit, psych, english language...) so i always feel like my essay technique is so much worse than everyone elses. love biology, and a very love-hate relationship with chemistry. so much maths :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kilner)
    i'm not too far off, i'm doing biology chemistry and history (+ french, but dropping that at AS)

i love having the mix, but definitely feel quite behind in history.. it's my only essay subject, but other people in my class usually do 2/3 essay subjects (english lit, psych, english language...) so i always feel like my essay technique is so much worse than everyone elses. love biology, and a very love-hate relationship with chemistry. so much maths :'(
    Definitely the same for me - I'm one of only two students in my history class who isn't taking all humanities! Just means I have to do extra practice for history, but I don't mind that too much. Biology is almost definitely my favourite, despite the huge amount of content, and I get what you mean about chemistry :/ unfortunately I also have a really bad teacher which doesn't help, but fingers crossed I'll get there in the end
    Best of luck with your subjects! I adored French gcse but wasn't too keen on taking it at AS as I wasn't sure what the workload would end up being like, Any ideas what you want to study at uni and so on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luberry)
    Definitely the same for me - I'm one of only two students in my history class who isn't taking all humanities! Just means I have to do extra practice for history, but I don't mind that too much. Biology is almost definitely my favourite, despite the huge amount of content, and I get what you mean about chemistry :/ unfortunately I also have a really bad teacher which doesn't help, but fingers crossed I'll get there in the end
    Best of luck with your subjects! I adored French gcse but wasn't too keen on taking it at AS as I wasn't sure what the workload would end up being like, Any ideas what you want to study at uni and so on?
    French workload hasn't really kicked in yet but I feel it coming, plus it feels so hard to revise for!! After my GCSEs I was pushed to apppy for medicine, but I think I'm going to apply for Pharmacy or Biomed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kilner)
    French workload hasn't really kicked in yet but I feel it coming, plus it feels so hard to revise for!! After my GCSEs I was pushed to apppy for medicine, but I think I'm going to apply for Pharmacy or Biomed
    Ooh okay, best of luck with that!

ReputationRep:
    Glad to see I'm not the only one who is complaining about the workload. Hoping to start to do well in tests and get high grades but that hasn't happened yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VictiniCup)
    Glad to see I'm not the only one who is complaining about the workload. Hoping to start to do well in tests and get high grades but that hasn't happened yet.
    It is a huge workload - good luck!

ReputationRep:
    02/11/2017

So I know I said I would try and update more often but unfortunately life keeps happening.
    I will try and do some more regular updates though otherwise this will end up really quite long! Mostly I didn't update because I was doing lots of questionnaires and so on for universities (not fun). All of that is finished now, so I'm just waiting patiently (not) to find out what will happen next. I did have some fun and went to see 'Thor: Ragnarok' for my dad's birthday which was great.
    Back to college on Monday - all seems to be going pretty well so far, although I have the following coming up:
    • Ancient History A2 In-Class Essay - Monday 06/11
    • Chemistry Test on Arenes - Monday 06/11
    • Biology Test on Homeostasis - Tuesday 14/11

This means I will mostly be revising for these over the next few days and weeks. I'm also working quite a bit on my EPQ to try and get ahead - finding it tricky to research and find appropriate sources at the moment, but hopefully should get round that soon.
    I'm working 8am - 5pm on Sunday which will be a longgg day but gotta earn those dollars 💵Hopefully I'm also going to a fireworks party on Saturday evening so that should be fun.
    That's all for now - like I said, I'll try and update with some slightly more exciting stuff! And pictures maybe?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    My Journey to Vet School

Well, where to begin.
    I'm Lou and I'm in year 13, just about to do my A levels. My dream is to be studying Veterinary Medicine at university next year. Scary, right?
    What else.. I have a particular interest in large animals and am currently the carer of three lovely - if sometimes troublesome - horses. My baby, who is often more troublesome than lovely, is a big grey called Max.

Name:  IMG_4178.JPG
Views: 64
Size:  132.9 KB

I'm studying Biology, Chemistry and Ancient History at A level alongside EPQ. I also work Saturdays at a local clothes shop and the occasional Sunday at a riding stables, plus I'm learning to drive. Fun, fun, fun.

This is an attempt to keep me motivated and track my progress as I work towards my A levels. Over the summer, I would also like to learn a language and travel a bit, maybe to Italy and the Mediterranean.

Predicted Grades
    Biology (OCR) - A*
    Chemistry (Edexcel) - A
    Ancient History (OCR) - A
    EPQ (Edexcel) - A
    (Achieved C in Maths AS)

Exam Dates
    • Chemistry: Paper One - 05/06/2018; Paper Two - 12/06/2018; Paper Three - 20/06/2018
    • Biology: Paper One (Biological Processes) - 07/06/2018; Paper Two (Biological Diversity) - 11/06/2018; Paper Three (Unified Biology a.k.a everything plus some extra "synoptic" stuff) - 18/06/2018

Plus driving test on 20/12/2017

Work Experience
    12 weeks +
    • Small Animal Vets - 3 weeks
    • Equine Vets - 1 week
    • Mixed Practice Vets/Referral Hospital - 1 week
    • Cattery and Kennels - 2 weeks
    • Dairy/Beef Farm - 1 week
    • Sheep, alpacas and miniature horse farm - 1 week (plus 2 days helping with premature lambs)
    • Alpaca Farm - 1 week
    • Riding Stables/Livery Yard - 2 weeks(-ish)

Plus some volunteering at agricultural shows and horse events, and some taster days.

Application (last updated: 28/10/2017)
    • University of Bristol - applied, acknowledgement received, questionnaire completed
    • University of Surrey - applied, acknowledgement received, references uploaded, questionnaire completed
    • University of Nottingham - applied, acknowledgement received, questionnaires completed
    • RVC, London - applied, acknowledgement received, questionnaire completed

Now the waiting game begins!

That's all for now I guess folks. Hopefully should update soon
    Nice blog! Pictures of cute animals and horses ALWAYS welcome :emog:

ReputationRep:
    06/11/2017

Oh wow look an update that's almost on time?! (Almost.)

What's new? Well, today was chemistry exam and ancient history essay day so I've been preparing for that in over the last week or so.

Name:  history.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  120.8 KB
    Lots of pink in this one for some reason

At the weekend, I went to a fireworks show on the Saturday which was good fun and I saw a lot of friends I hadn't met up with in ages. I worked Sunday 8-5 which was a long day but good fun again.

Attachment 701802
    Fox Corner said about cute animals so have some more This was Fiji at work deciding she wanted a lie-in...

I also managed to read an entire book - "Our Dark Duet" by V.E. Schwab, and I'd highly recommend any of her books because she's amazing - in about 2 hours because I was determined not to let it distract me long-term from studying whoops. (It was very sad though so kind of good and bad distraction.)

EPQ is finally going in the right direction (yay!) so now I'm just busy trying to juggle learning new A2 content and revising last year's content at the same time. I'm really enjoying biology at the moment as we're learning all about the liver and it's role in homeostasis so that's pretty interesting. I am also ill so that is less fun, as I just feel generally tired and achy all the time but I'm trying to stay upbeat.

That's all for now! I know I keep saying this, but I will actually try and update this more regularly as I feel like it allows me to be more specific

ReputationRep:
    06/11/2017

Oh wow look an update that's almost on time?! (Almost.)

What's new? Well, today was chemistry exam and ancient history essay day so I've been preparing for that in over the last week or so.

Name:  history.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  120.8 KB
    Lots of pink in this one for some reason

At the weekend, I went to a fireworks show on the Saturday which was good fun and I saw a lot of friends I hadn't met up with in ages. I worked Sunday 8-5 which was a long day but good fun again.

Attachment 701802
    Fox Corner said about cute animals so have some more This was Fiji at work deciding she wanted a lie-in...

I also managed to read an entire book - "Our Dark Duet" by V.E. Schwab, and I'd highly recommend any of her books because she's amazing - in about 2 hours because I was determined not to let it distract me long-term from studying whoops. (It was very sad though so kind of good and bad distraction.)

EPQ is finally going in the right direction (yay!) so now I'm just busy trying to juggle learning new A2 content and revising last year's content at the same time. I'm really enjoying biology at the moment as we're learning all about the liver and it's role in homeostasis so that's pretty interesting. I am also ill so that is less fun, as I just feel generally tired and achy all the time but I'm trying to stay upbeat.

That's all for now! I know I keep saying this, but I will actually try and update this more regularly as I feel like it allows me to be more specific
    Hi, I'm in year 12 and a hopeful veterinary medicine applicant with a GYG thread. I was wondering what were your GCSE results? as I know vet med is extremely competitive and every part of your application is important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrangeArcher)
    Hi, I'm in year 12 and a hopeful veterinary medicine applicant with a GYG thread. I was wondering what were your GCSE results? as I know vet med is extremely competitive and every part of your application is important.
    Hiya, I got 3A*s and 8As - at the time I was really disappointed because I was predicted all A*s but our school had a really bad year for GCSEs so all you can really do is move on and make the best of A levels good luck with your application!

ReputationRep:
    09/11/2017

What is this? Another timely update?! :ahhhhh:

I mean, I do kind of have an ulterior motive because I have some good news - yesterday I received an invitation for interview from Surrey! It's on the 25/11 so it gives me a bit of time to prepare, but I'm now in a state of nervous excitement...

Other than that, it's been pretty much business as usual. I'm feeling a lot better which is good, so hopefully I'm over the really bad cold I had. Cracking on with the kidneys in biology which means fun dissections (universal cry of 'yay!' and I've discovered in chemistry that a) I really like benzene and phenol for some reason (who knows?) and b) amines smell really, really terrible.

Name:  IMG_4237.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  508.1 KB

Biology notes!! (Sorry for the terrible lighting, evening study session was occurring)

I also got my results back for my most recent ancient history essay, which was.. an A!! Obviously I'm really happy with this, the feedback I received was great - basically I just missed out a few things because I ran out of time towards the end otherwise I would've got those full marks. So moving forwards that's definitely (as always) something to work on.

Til next time

Spoiler:
    Show

brainzistheword Fox Corner redonks Little Tail Chaser VictiniCup Protostar OrangeArcher Scitty
    (I feel terrible tagging people but unfortunately it seems like shameless self-promotion is the way to go )

ReputationRep:
    09/11/2017

I mean, I do kind of have an ulterior motive because I have some good news - yesterday I received an invitation for interview from Surrey! It's on the 25/11 so it gives me a bit of time to prepare, but I'm now in a state of nervous excitement...

Other than that, it's been pretty much business as usual. I'm feeling a lot better which is good, so hopefully I'm over the really bad cold I had. Cracking on with the kidneys in biology which means fun dissections (universal cry of 'yay!' and I've discovered in chemistry that a) I really like benzene and phenol for some reason (who knows?) and b) amines smell really, really terrible.

Biology notes!! (Sorry for the terrible lighting, evening study session was occurring)

I also got my results back for my most recent ancient history essay, which was.. an A!! Obviously I'm really happy with this, the feedback I received was great - basically I just missed out a few things because I ran out of time towards the end otherwise I would've got those full marks. So moving forwards that's definitely (as always) something to work on.

Til next time

Spoiler:
    Show

brainzistheword Fox Corner redonks Little Tail Chaser VictiniCup Protostar OrangeArcher
    (I feel terrible tagging people but unfortunately it seems like shameless self-promotion is the way to go )

Well done with Surrey (it's my favourite so far).
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Don't feel bad for tagging! I'd love to see what you get up to :awesome:. I read Scitty's blog with great interest last year and now that he's made it and got a place of vet school I need new baby vetlings to follow

Congrats on getting an interview and for your A on your most recent history essay, it sounds as if you've really got things going for you at the moment! Your post made me miss A2 chem as well, I have forgotten so much of it now which is a real shame but I can't say that I didn't enjoy it at the time :moon:
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    09/11/2017

Til next time

Spoiler:
    Show

brainzistheword Fox Corner redonks Little Tail Chaser VictiniCup Protostar OrangeArcher

Definitely keep me tagged! And well done on your interview with Surrey, it looks like things are going well for you

Keep up the good work!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrangeArcher)
    Well done with Surrey (it's my favourite so far).
    Thank you! Have you been and looked around yet? The actual campus and facilities are amazing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    Don't feel bad for tagging! I'd love to see what you get up to :awesome:. I read Scitty's blog with great interest last year and now that he's made it and got a place of vet school I need new baby vetlings to follow

Congrats on getting an interview and for your A on your most recent history essay, it sounds as if you've really got things going for you at the moment! Your post made me miss A2 chem as well, I have forgotten so much of it now which is a real shame but I can't say that I didn't enjoy it at the time :moon:
    Haha thank you! It was reading Scitty's blog that made me want to do this in the first place actually

Thank you, hopefully I can keep it up now.. I really didn't enjoy chemistry last year but so far this year seems to be going a lot better!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brainzistheword)
    Definitely keep me tagged! And well done on your interview with Surrey, it looks like things are going well for you

Keep up the good work!
    Thank you!

Submit reply
Updated: November 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.