Turn on thread page Beta

Lou's Journey to Vet School (A*AA) watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luberry)
    Thank you! Have you been and looked around yet? The actual campus and facilities are amazing
    I went to the October the 14th open day and it's just wow! I loved everything about it and it felt amazing to just be there.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the tag, i was reading this anyway so don't feel bad at all being tagged just makes it easier
    also it's kind of made me want to do one of these myself.......

congrats on the interview, see you there maybe?????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redonks)
    thanks for the tag, i was reading this anyway so don't feel bad at all being tagged just makes it easier
    also it's kind of made me want to do one of these myself.......

congrats on the interview, see you there maybe?????
    haha okay 😂 go for it! it's definitely motivating to see the progress already.

thank you, you too! yes maybe, mine is at 10.45???

ReputationRep:
    haha okay 😂 go for it! it's definitely motivating to see the progress already.

thank you, you too! yes maybe, mine is at 10.45???
    ah mines at 2 so prob not :sad:
    though i might have to rearrange for a different day anyway because i won't have any photo ID for like 4 weeks :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redonks)
    ah mines at 2 so prob not :sad:
    though i might have to rearrange for a different day anyway because i won't have any photo ID for like 4 weeks :/
    oh that's annoying :/ good luck anyway!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    09/11/2017

What is this? Another timely update?! :ahhhhh:

I mean, I do kind of have an ulterior motive because I have some good news - yesterday I received an invitation for interview from Surrey! It's on the 25/11 so it gives me a bit of time to prepare, but I'm now in a state of nervous excitement...

Other than that, it's been pretty much business as usual. I'm feeling a lot better which is good, so hopefully I'm over the really bad cold I had. Cracking on with the kidneys in biology which means fun dissections (universal cry of 'yay!' and I've discovered in chemistry that a) I really like benzene and phenol for some reason (who knows?) and b) amines smell really, really terrible.

Attachment 702652

Biology notes!! (Sorry for the terrible lighting, evening study session was occurring)

I also got my results back for my most recent ancient history essay, which was.. an A!! Obviously I'm really happy with this, the feedback I received was great - basically I just missed out a few things because I ran out of time towards the end otherwise I would've got those full marks. So moving forwards that's definitely (as always) something to work on.

Til next time

Spoiler:
    Show

brainzistheword Fox Corner redonks Little Tail Chaser VictiniCup Protostar OrangeArcher Scitty
    (I feel terrible tagging people but unfortunately it seems like shameless self-promotion is the way to go )

Hey! :wavey: Have just had a read through of this and I'd love to be kept updated on how things go for you!
    Congratulations on your interview invite! :woo: And the A in your history essay, I was always absolutely useless at history
    Keep it up and let's hope for more interviews/offers eh?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    also, you have really nice handwriting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protostar)
    Hey! :wavey: Have just had a read through of this and I'd love to be kept updated on how things go for you!
    Congratulations on your interview invite! :woo: And the A in your history essay, I was always absolutely useless at history
    Keep it up and let's hope for more interviews/offers eh?
    Spoiler:
    Show

also, you have really nice handwriting
    Thank you!! :ta: I was super inspired by your GYG last year so, like I said, shameless tagging
    Yes, fingers crossed for more interviews and so on, eek

Spoiler:
    Show

Haha thanks! It seems to change pretty regularly though?? :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    11/11/2017

So I guess I'll start with a kind of positive? I had a slow morning at the stables which made a nice change

Attachment 703000
    Max still doesn't understand photos

Which leads onto the not so good side... I got my chemistry test back on Friday. After completing it on Monday, I felt good about it (which should have been my first sign of warning) and the topic itself - arene compounds - is one I really ended up enjoying. And then, inevitably, I got the test back and all I could see was that big, fat C on it. It's really hard then to slow down and take something away from it because all you really want to do is crumple up those sheets of paper, stomp on them a few times and possibly (probably) set it on fire. Or at least, you know, that's how I felt. :banghead:

Instead I found myself going through the test with a green pen, trying to figure out where it all went wrong. What it came down to really was that I had dropped a couple of marks on pretty much every single question. It was frustrating to say the least - but I'm trying to learn from it. Which means that, today at least, I've done a lot more chemistry than I would usually do outside of class in the hopes that it pays off for the next test. I'm also trying, rather than just re-writing my notes, to do a lot more practice questions (which is tricky for the new spec) as I feel that will be a lot more beneficial.

And, after all of that, I got my report from my teachers for the first term. :facepalm:
    • Chemistry - Academic Grade: B, Effort Grade: 1 (where 1 is the best and 5 is the worst)
    • Ancient History - Academic Grade: A, Effort Grade: 1
    • Biology - Academic Grade: A*, Effort Grade: 1
    • EPQ - Academic Grade: A, Effort Grade: 1

I'm really happy with (most of) my report, especially biology :groovy: but it looks like chemistry is still my nemesis!

I'm at work again tomorrow 8-5 but I'll try and get some revision slotted in there.. somewhere.

Til next time! :hoppy:

ReputationRep:
    luberry Don't worry about your test grades that much, they don't really matter that much until you sit your proper exams in summer. If you do terrible the best thing that you can do is focus on where you went wrong and how to fix them.

ReputationRep:
    11/11/2017

So I guess I'll start with a kind of positive? I had a slow morning at the stables which made a nice change

Attachment 703000

Which leads onto the not so good side... I got my chemistry test back on Friday. After completing it on Monday, I felt good about it (which should have been my first sign of warning) and the topic itself - arene compounds - is one I really ended up enjoying. And then, inevitably, I got the test back and all I could see was that big, fat C on it. It's really hard then to slow down and take something away from it because all you really want to do is crumple up those sheets of paper, stomp on them a few times and possibly (probably) set it on fire. Or at least, you know, that's how I felt. :banghead:

Instead I found myself going through the test with a green pen, trying to figure out where it all went wrong. What it came down to really was that I had dropped a couple of marks on pretty much every single question. It was frustrating to say the least - but I'm trying to learn from it. Which means that, today at least, I've done a lot more chemistry than I would usually do outside of class in the hopes that it pays off for the next test. I'm also trying, rather than just re-writing my notes, to do a lot more practice questions (which is tricky for the new spec) as I feel that will be a lot more beneficial.

And, after all of that, I got my report from my teachers for the first term. :facepalm:
    • Chemistry - Academic Grade: B, Effort Grade: 1 (where 1 is the best and 5 is the worst)

I'm really happy with (most of) my report, especially biology :groovy: but it looks like chemistry is still my nemesis!

I'm at work again tomorrow 8-5 but I'll try and get some revision slotted in there.. somewhere.

Don't worry about it, everyone is meant to not do as well in the first test. It's impressive than you got an As and A*s in everything else.
    Take UnJaded Jade for example, a youtuber who got 4As in her first year. She only got Cs at the start of the year in Chemistry.

Also you could check out my revision blog as well

ReputationRep:
    28/11/2017

Guess who's back..

Sorry it's been so long - lots of stuff has been happening. I did actually write a reasonably long post this time last week but then of course my computer went to sleep and I lost the draft. Unfortunately last Wednesday we had to say goodbye to the wonderful Ollie boy; he's been ill for the last two years or so but it doesn't really make it any easier.
    Between that and my interview on Saturday at Surrey Uni, it's been a difficult few weeks. I literally have no idea how that went, so we'll just have to see how it turns out. The campus was lovely (if very cold!) and everyone, especially the current students I spoke to, was very friendly so that was very positive anyway. Still haven't heard from any other unis but at the moment no news is good news I suppose!

The one piece of good news I did have is that I got an ancient history essay back that I wrote on Friday. I was convinced that I'd completely flunked, due to everything else that was going on, but it turned out to be a solid A grade. Still finding timings tricky - which might be due to me trying to fit a bit too much information into my essays - but I'm working on it.

That's all I've really got right now. I've got a chemistry test on analytical techniques on Friday so I'm off to get a head start on some revision for that. Hopefully next time there'll be a slightly longer post

**EDIT: I've just received an email this evening to invite me to an interview at RVC on 13/12/2017!! Good news finally!**

ReputationRep:
    28/11/2017

Guess who's back..

Sorry it's been so long - lots of stuff has been happening. I did actually write a reasonably long post this time last week but then of course my computer went to sleep and I lost the draft. Unfortunately last Wednesday we had to say goodbye to the wonderful Ollie boy; he's been ill for the last two years or so but it doesn't really make it any easier.
    Between that and my interview on Saturday at Surrey Uni, it's been a difficult few weeks. I literally have no idea how that went, so we'll just have to see how it turns out. The campus was lovely (if very cold!) and everyone, especially the current students I spoke to, was very friendly so that was very positive anyway. Still haven't heard from any other unis but at the moment no news is good news I suppose!

The one piece of good news I did have is that I got an ancient history essay back that I wrote on Friday. I was convinced that I'd completely flunked, due to everything else that was going on, but it turned out to be a solid A grade. Still finding timings tricky - which might be due to me trying to fit a bit too much information into my essays - but I'm working on it.

That's all I've really got right now. I've got a chemistry test on analytical techniques on Friday so I'm off to get a head start on some revision for that. Hopefully next time there'll be a slightly longer post

I'm sure you did fine in your Surrey interview well done on your history essay (I couldn't deal with history even before GCSE as I found it was way too much memorisatio.n of facts that I didn't have any interest in) and good luck on your chem test! I had a chem test on Bonding today and I'm hoping it's gone better than the past tests

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrangeArcher)
    I'm sure you did fine in your Surrey interview well done on your history essay (I couldn't deal with history even before GCSE as I found it was way too much memorisatio.n of facts that I didn't have any interest in) and good luck on your chem test! I had a chem test on Bonding today and I'm hoping it's gone better than the past tests
    I hope so! I've literally just got an email to say I've been invited to an interview at RVC too, so that's good news thank you! I've always loved history, but it's definitely a tricky subject. The crazy battles in ancient history tend to keep me interested though! I'm sure it went well, let me know how you're getting on

ReputationRep:
    I hope so! I've literally just got an email to say I've been invited to an interview at RVC too, so that's good news thank you! I've always loved history, but it's definitely a tricky subject. The crazy battles in ancient history tend to keep me interested though! I'm sure it went well, let me know how you're getting on
    Good luck with your RVC interview (don't think I'm gonna apply there) and I will update you when I get my results (I'm hoping to get at least a D on this one) and I also have a bio test on Friday which I'm stressing out about.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with your RVC interview (don't think I'm gonna apply there) and I will update you when I get my results (I'm hoping to get at least a D on this one) and I also have a bio test on Friday which I'm stressing out about.
    It's not my favourite because of its location (I'm more of a country girl) but still thrilled to be considered for interview chemistry is difficult, but I'm sure you'll get there. Good luck for Biology
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    11/11/2017

Attachment 703000

Don't worry too much about grades, I got in with a B in chem I also got an E in my AS level and when I resat it the following year I got it up to an A so anything is possible!. You quite often don't try as hard for mocks as you would for the real thing and you haven't covered all of the material yet- its possible that you'll learn something after christmas that you find easier and this might pull your mark up in the real thing.
    Congrats on your RVC interview!

ReputationRep:
    I got a C on my bonding chemistry test however, I was two marks off a B which is a bit annoying but it's still better than the E and the U I got on my last tests.

ReputationRep:
    I got a C on my bonding chemistry test however, I was two marks off a B which is a bit annoying but it's still better than the E and the U I got on my last tests.
    That's great

ReputationRep:
    08/12/2017

Back again! I swear I meant to make the breaks between updates shorter, but life keeps getting in the way whoops.

Ancient History :sparta:

We've moved onto Rome (last unit of A levels! :eek4:) in Ancient History. I love all the strange things that the politicians get up to and we get to look at Augustus this time - currently we're looking at the Social War though. I've also started revising AS content, starting with Sparta, and I'm hoping to start practicing AS essays again soon.

Name:  IMG_4291.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  524.8 KB

Biology

There is.. so much to photosynthesis? So many terms? Pretty cool though, although (if I'm completely honest) I can't wait to move on from plants and get back to animals :teehee: I also got my homeostasis test back which I was convinced I had done badly on because it was a difficult one. I got an A* though so I'm thrilled! Just need to be a bit more specific in places and watch the time more carefully.

Chemistry

I'm definitely not a fan of analytical techniques, especially NMR but my lab partner and I made aspirin and it went well for once? Our melting point was actually close to where it was supposed to be so I'm pleased to have gotten another core practical out of the way. :thumbsup: I've also done my analytical techniques II test which I got a B on.. getting there slowly! I've got a mock on all the A2 stuff we've done so far on the 15/12/2017 so lots of reaction maps currently

EPQ

Making headway with research, yay! I've decided to focus on the risk of disease associated with artificial breeding which is really interesting Need to get my intro done before Christmas hols so working on that!

In other news, I was invited to an interview at Nottingham yesterday! So excited :woo: I was getting really nervous because I hadn't heard from them yet hehe. It's not til the end of January but - my RVC interview is on Wednesday so I'm super nervous :zomg: Still nothing from Bristol, or anything after my interview at Surrey, but no news is good news at the moment I guess! :unsure:

Attachment 709332709340
    Relaxing and having some fun with Max :grin:

Until next time!

Attached Images

• TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Yooo well done on some great grades recently Keep up the good work!

Congrats on hearing from Nottingham and best of luck for the RVC on Weds! I'll be working that day so I might see you around :ninja:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.