Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Van der Waals forces Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My understanding:
    electrons fluctuate so a dipole can be induced momentarily if many electrons end up being on one side of the atom meaning one side is more negative than the other for a moment.I don't quite understand what Van der Waals forces are exactly.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and this induces a dipole in nearby molecules momentarily, this is a temporary dipole but the overall effect is permanent.

ReputationRep:
    So there are van Der Waal forces between virtually all molecules because of this temporary dipole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acetyl)
    So there are van Der Waal forces between virtually all molecules because of this temporary dipole.
    We are describing a phenomenon but what exactly are these forces?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    We are describing a phenomenon but what exactly are these forces?
    Be careful with using the phrase vdW as some exam boards used the phrase incorrectly on now out of date specification (for which there are lots of past papers still available).

Anyhoo, one side of a molecule/atom gets a small -ve charge which will induce a small +ve charge on another atom/molecule. These small charges attract electrostatically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    My understanding:
    electrons fluctuate so a dipole can be induced momentarily if many electrons end up being on one side of the atom meaning one side is more negative than the other for a moment.I don't quite understand what Van der Waals forces are exactly.
    Because the electrons move there is a chance they appear on the same side for a split second making strong d- this causes other nearby electrons to the other side because of repulsion and then just like chain reaction
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.