Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How would I compare these two poems from the Power and Conflict section? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay so the question is 'Compare the way poets present the theme of Identity in 'checking out me history' and one other poem from the conflict section'.

I really wanted to do 'Tissue' by Imtiaz Dharker but i'm not quite sure how i'd go through with doing this exactly.

Any help would be appreciated - thank you in advance x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charl2000)
    Okay so the question is 'Compare the way poets present the theme of Identity in 'checking out me history' and one other poem from the conflict section'.

I really wanted to do 'Tissue' by Imtiaz Dharker but i'm not quite sure how i'd go through with doing this exactly.

I haven’t studied these poems yet but there is a whole page in my cGP power and conflict guide but I literally have no idea what it means as we’ve only done the first few poems!
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toastiekid)
    I haven’t studied these poems yet but there is a whole page in my cGP power and conflict guide but I literally have no idea what it means as we’ve only done the first few poems!
    Good luck!
    I don't have one of those - but thank you anyway. Sounds like we are in the same Year so Good luck with yours too when the time comes x

ReputationRep:
    It may help to look at BBC Bitesize https://www.bbc.co.uk/education/topics/zs43ycw

For the two poems you are comparing, what do the poets regard as creating their identity? For 'Checking Out Me History' there is an obvious answer: cultural heritage. Look at the importance of language as well though. Dialect and accent are used to assert identity.
    For 'Tissue', look at how many of the paper items also link to the past. How many are linked to Dharker's cultural heritage?
    To me, both poets seem to be saying that identity comes from your culture and history rather than necessarily where you are now.

(As a point of interest, think about images on banknotes. These are usually chosen to reflect a national identity. In the UK we have Winston Churchill and, after a lot of protesting, Jane Austen.
    Previous characters have been

• Charles Dickens (writer)
    • Sir Edward Elgar (composer)
    • Michael Faraday (scientist)
    • Sir John Houblon (first Governor of the Bank of England)
    • Sir Isaac Newton (scientist)
    • Florence Nightingale (nursing)
    • William Shakespeare (poet/playwright)
    • George Stephenson (engineer)
    • 1st Duke of Wellington (general/statesman)
    • Sir Christopher Wren (architect)
    • Elizabeth Fry (Philanthropist)

These are people chosen to represent what it is to be British. However, almost all are white, English men from a similar time period. On Euros the theme is bridges and gateways, suggesting that a European identity is one of people coming together. Other countries have animals on their banknotes, or famous buildings. )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charl2000)

It really depends on what perspective you look at tissue tbh. You could offer a whole other perspective and manipulate the poem into looking similar to checking out me history. Talk about how tissue portrays paper to be more powerful and prominent than people and compare it to how the history books only show the powerful white people of history. You could manipulate these ideas to make it seem as though checking out me history talks about the past and tissue implies that paper records the history and without it we wouldn’t know about historic figures

ReputationRep:
    Thank you to everyone who has responded! It's much appreciated x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.