Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Psoriasis Support Thread Watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys :hugs:

I thought I'd set up a thread for fellow sufferers to discuss their experiences with the illness, share some tips and as a place to vent about the illness.

Lesions are painful, itchy (so itchy, I've never felt another itch like it), unsightly and that's only the stuff going on on the surface, there's more happening inside. So many people think it is nothing more than a skin condition when in actual fact its an autoimmune disease which can also affect your joints, nails, immunity as well your mood and overall wellbeing.

What is your experience with this illness?
    I've had it since I was about 12. Almost everyone in my close family has it too other than my mum. It came and went over the years all over my body but since last year, its been constant and has never left and has started spreading from where it began and now my nails and joints are showing changes and I am in the process of getting tested and referred for suspected psoratic arthritis, which 2 of my close family members already have. The lesions are on my scalp atm. Started off with just a small red bump smaller than a 5p coin last year and now its as big as my fist and is spreading all over my scalp. I use Calcipotriol which does help but takes weeks to show improvement and as soon as you stop using it, it grows back, sometimes even worse than before. I also use Nizoral and Polytar shampoo and used Daktacort in the past as well.

Everything seems to make it worse - tiredness, stress, the weather/temp, hormonal changes etc. I haven't noticed it gets any better or worse with anything I eat or drink

I have psoriasiform dermatitis on my scalp

Sometimes i just wonder what it's like to have a normal, healthy scalp

it's really itchy sometiimes and annoying, although mine isnt too bad

washing my scalp makes it kind of go away, but it always comes back

I wish a cure can be found in the near future

atm, you can't see that i have any scalp problems because of my thick, black hair

but once that hair goes (which it probably will in the future), it's all going to be exposed for the world to see
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have psoriasiform dermatitis on my scalp

Sometimes i just wonder what it's like to have a normal, healthy scalp

it's really itchy sometiimes and annoying, although mine isnt too bad

washing my scalp makes it kind of go away, but it always comes back

I wish a cure can be found in the near future

atm, you can't see that i have any scalp problems because of my thick, black hair

but once that hair goes (which it probably will in the future), it's all going to be exposed for the world to see
    Sorry to hear you are in the same boat as me mine doesn't go no matter how much I wash it. I use calcipotriol cream that helps flatten the scales but it still grows back. For now my hair can cover it too but it's spreading to the top of my head where my side fringe pattern is so I'm scared it's going to keep spreading all the way down to my forehead like it did with my gran

I hope one day there is a cure. The illness is so much more than people think it is
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 15, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.