Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2018 applicants: Please do not post your personal statement online Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolto)
    So I basically have to redo the whole statement? Even though it wasn’t online for a min, I can certainly change it with different words and different sentence and it wasn’t my completed ps I’m constantly updating it and changing how I kept words together
    Its your future, not mine. You can either rewrite it or run the risk that each of the universities to which you have applied, see your application as being plagiarised (UCAS doesn't make the decision, the universities do. UCAS merely tips them off).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolto)
    So I basically have to redo the whole statement? Even though it wasn’t online for a min, I can certainly change it with different words and different sentence and it wasn’t my completed ps I’m constantly updating it and changing how I kept words together
    Basically no one can tell for sure if anyone did copy parts of your statement while it was up, so I would be safe and re write it anyway, if your satisfied that you've been changing it enough anyway then that's a choice you have to make when you submit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milky_Way)
    Basically no one can tell for sure if anyone did copy parts of your statement while it was up, so I would be safe and re write it anyway, if your satisfied that you've been changing it enough anyway then that's a choice you have to make when you submit
    Hopefully no one copied parts of it, my personal Statement was tailored for me I don’t see why someone will copy it and yh I have been updating and adding new lines
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolto)
    Hopefully no one copied parts of it, my personal Statement was tailored for me I don’t see why someone will copy it and yh I have been updating and adding new lines
    People may have copied things like sentence structure or the general vocabulary, if that happens both of you may be flagged but if they submitted first your PS might have a higher similarity, UCAS won't do anything unless it's 10% or more

ReputationRep:
    People may have copied things like sentence structure or the general vocabulary, if that happens both of you may be flagged but if they submitted first your PS might have a higher similarity, UCAS won't do anything unless it's 10% or more
    Can I dispute anything at all? Do I have a chance to prove myself or show it was legit mine?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Changing words won’t help. Ucas run a similarity detector. If you substitute words or change the sentence structure slightly it would still be flagged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolto)
    Can I dispute anything at all? Do I have a chance to prove myself or show it was legit mine?
    I think you can if the statement on the google doc was in an email made in your name, since you didn't post the actual statement here that works in your favour, if the similarity thing does come up you request the similarity report to see what exactly triggered it.

ReputationRep:
    I think you can if the statement on the google doc was in an email made in your name, since you didn't post the actual statement here that works in your favour, if the similarity thing does come up you request the similarity report to see what exactly triggered it.
    Ohk yeah I have the proof so hopefully it won’t be flagged in the first place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Changing words won’t help. Ucas run a similarity detector. If you substitute words or change the sentence structure slightly it would still be flagged.
    I didn’t paste the plain text in here and the actual draft was in google docs, I think even if someone decided to steal it, he wouldn’t steal it word for word
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by wolto)
    I didn’t paste the plain text in here and the actual draft was in google docs, I think even if someone decided to steal it, he wouldn’t steal it word for word
    They could.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.