Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing my A-levels right now and I am having a crisis because most of the subjects I have chose are useless without maths according to everyone, especially the boys in my class lmao.

I'm doing...

Physics
    Electronics
    Biology
    Philosophy, Religion and Ethics

I really enjoy physics and electronics and would like to do something with these subjects, hence my interest in EEE but I know i NEED maths. Does anyone know of any universities that would possibly take my subjects on? Or is that impossible? My second choice is radiography if EEE is impossible for me to do.

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by over.it)
    I'm doing my A-levels right now and I am having a crisis because most of the subjects I have chose are useless without maths according to everyone, especially the boys in my class lmao.

I'm doing...

Physics
    Electronics
    Biology

I really enjoy physics and electronics and would like to do something with these subjects, hence my interest in EEE but I know i NEED maths. Does anyone know of any universities that would possibly take my subjects on? Or is that impossible? My second choice is radiography if EEE is impossible for me to do.

Thanks in advance
    I've just looked at the entry requirements for a few unis (Manchester, Cardiff, Bristol, Loughborough, Swansea) and they all require maths A-level.

Even less highly-ranked unis like Man Met require maths A-level.

So realistically, if you want to do EEE, you either need to pick up maths A-level, and do it instead of philosophy or electronics (seriously, you don't need that at A-level to do it at uni).

Or if you're in year 13, then you'll have to take a gap year and do maths A-level.

ReputationRep:

I'm doing...

Physics
    Electronics
    Biology

Thanks in advance
    You are asked to do Maths A level at pretty much every uni that I have looked at that offers EEE. The unis that I looked at are in the russel group, (e.g Manchester, Southhampton UCL, imperial, and Oxbridge).

According to other users on TSR who mave have done EEE at uni, Electronic engineering has loads of maths.

Like you, I am also considering of doing EEE and uni. I am doing Physics, Maths, Further maths and Computer Science; however, I believe another popular subject combination is Chemistry, Physics and Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeapingLucy)
    I've just looked at the entry requirements for a few unis (Manchester, Cardiff, Bristol, Loughborough, Swansea) and they all require maths A-level.

Even less highly-ranked unis like Man Met require maths A-level.

So realistically, if you want to do EEE, you either need to pick up maths A-level, and do it instead of philosophy or electronics (seriously, you don't need that at A-level to do it at uni).

Or if you're in year 13, then you'll have to take a gap year and do maths A-level.
    Yeah, I only took PRE because I enjoyed it at GCSE. I really enjoy my subjects I've chosen and are predicted alright grades in them (AABB/C) so I don't think I'll change now. Radiolography is it haha.

Thank you for your reply though If you can recommend me anything I can actually do with my subjects of choice I'd appreciate it lmao

ReputationRep:
    Almost all of the concepts you'll cover in EE are going to be underpinned by maths, whether it is signal processing (eg modulation, filters etc) or larger scale stuff such as electrical grids, you'll be knee deep in formulas, series and complex numbers a lot of time. It would probably not really be advised to actually study the subject without maths at least to AS-level.

That said, you are an ideal candidate for a foundation year (basically just a year before you move into first year to get up to speed with the maths). Most top engineering schools offer these, eg Soton, Manchester, Durham, Lboro, Sheffield etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stoyfan)
    You are asked to do Maths A level at pretty much every uni that I have looked at that offers EEE. The unis that I looked at are in the russel group, (e.g Manchester, Southhampton UCL, imperial, and Oxbridge).

According to other users on TSR who mave have done EEE at uni, Electronic engineering has loads of maths.

Like you, I am also considering of doing EEE and uni. I am doing Physics, Maths, Further maths and Computer Science; however, I believe another popular subject combination is Chemistry, Physics and Maths.
    To be honest, even if I did have maths A-level, i don't think I'd enjoy any engineering as much as I would doing something like heathcare. I was just trying to explore options.

Thanks for your reply though! Good luck on your A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Et Tu, Brute?)
    Almost all of the concepts you'll cover in EE are going to be underpinned by maths, whether it is signal processing (eg modulation, filters etc) or larger scale stuff such as electrical grids, you'll be knee deep in formulas, series and complex numbers a lot of time. It would probably not really be advised to actually study the subject without maths at least to AS-level.

That said, you are an ideal candidate for a foundation year (basically just a year before you move into first year to get up to speed with the maths). Most top engineering schools offer these, eg Soton, Manchester, Durham, Lboro, Sheffield etc
    Thank you, I'll have a look at the foundation year courses requirements!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    OP: to be perfectly frank, you will not get onto a respected EEE course without maths A-Level.

Maths pervades literally everything from day 1. Unless you have a good solid grounding, you will simply fail to understand your lectures, will start falling behind from the end of week 1 and by week 4, you will most likely be a drop-out statistic.

So you had better love maths or you will hate engineering because it never let's up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    OP: to be perfectly frank, you will not get onto a respected EEE course without maths A-Level.

Maths pervades literally everything from day 1. Unless you have a good solid grounding, you will simply fail to understand your lectures, will start falling behind from the end of week 1 and by week 4, you will most likely be a drop-out statistic.

So you had better love maths or you will hate engine engineering because it never let's up.
    Yeah... I don't think engineering is for me anyway. I'm just panicking because I have no idea what I'm going to do after my sixthform in regards to uni haha. I'm not bad at maths and enjoy parts of it, such as mechanics in physics ect.., but I don't love maths haha.

thanks tho

ReputationRep:
    You can do a foundation year which extends the normal degree course by one year.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

I'm doing...

Physics
    Electronics
    Biology

Thanks in advance
    To secure a place on an EEE degree, you will need A-level maths/equivalent. A foundation year is an option, and worth a look, because if you really do like electronics and physics, to pursue those subjects at a higher level you are going to need maths. You don't need to love maths to be an engineer, but you need to like it enough to be good enough at it to get through the degree.

You could also look into apprenticeships. If you do an apprenticeship, it is also possible that, upon completion of the apprenticeship, your employer may sponsor you through a degree.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.