Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

No clue what I'm going to do after leaving school. Need advice.... Watch

ReputationRep:
    So if I apply to uni the school want my personal statement by the 3rd of November...

But tbh I don't think uni is for me, kinda sick of education....

I quite fancy an apprenticeship in something like accounting mabye? But those are hard to get into. I have nothing relevant like work experience or relevant reading.

I got AAAAB in my highers (scottish AS equivalent) (B in maths)
    This year I'm doing advanced higher french, advanced higher spanish, higher history and higher biology.

So if i didn't get accepted into an apprenticeship which seems likely, wtf am I gonna do?

I could do accounting at uni.... but I'm sick of education and I got a B in maths and have nothing relevant to put on my personal statement.

Up until recently I wanted to study languages, and last year 4 of my subjects were English, French, German and Spanish so I have no variety....

I also quite fancy a career in the police, but these days they are recruiting less and less people...

So yeah what should I do? What other jobs are possible?

ReputationRep:
    It is clear that university is not the way forward (you have no interest in it). What interests you about accountancy? You could write to your local accountants office to ask for some shadowing or work experience to see if it would be something that you like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakelove)
    It is clear that university is not the way forward (you have no interest in it). What interests you about accountancy? You could write to your local accountants office to ask for some shadowing or work experience to see if it would be something that you like.
    The pay isn't bad ahhahaha. Apart from that i dont really know ....
    And it's too late for work experience the school want the personal statements in like 3 weeks
    No clue what I'm going to do lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gucci_)
    The pay isn't bad ahhahaha. Apart from that i dont really know ....
    And it's too late for work experience the school want the personal statements in like 3 weeks
    No clue what I'm going to do lol
    You can carry out the work experience in your own time, like the school holidays. There is nothing to stop you from doing so. Have you done work experience at your school before - what kind of things did you do?

The pay can be good, but there is also a lot of studying in accounting too! My friend is on an accountancy grad scheme and she is studying for exams at the moment! I guess the same would go for apprenticeship too? You really have to like the job field if you want to do well!

You could also see a careers advisor. Are you able to make an appointment with during through your school?

ReputationRep:
    DON'T study languages. Avoid the police force too, very bad pay and very dangerous.

Pursue maths. I know it seems boring but isn't it worth it for your future? 3 years of boredom will set you up for the rest of your life.

Have you thought about a degree with a year abroad? You can live abroad for your third year and pickup some knowledge/experience.

Studying languages means you'll be stuck in a dead end state school job for near minimum wage.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.