Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am considering doing a course in Geophysics and I was wondering if there was anyone who could tell me a bit more about what the course is like, how much of it is maths:physics:geography and maybe any small bits of your own advice from studying it. What interest should I have to go into this and what would look good in an application that I can try to do within the year. Any advice would be so appreciated!! Thank you!!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by student32610)
    I am considering doing a course in Geophysics and I was wondering if there was anyone who could tell me a bit more about what the course is like, how much of it is maths:physics:geography and maybe any small bits of your own advice from studying it. What interest should I have to go into this and what would look good in an application that I can try to do within the year. Any advice would be so appreciated!! Thank you!!
    Geophysics is the application of physics to the Earth systems. Examples of things you might study include seismology (understanding earthquakes and using seismic waves to understand the earth's interior), geomagnetics (using the earth's magnetic field to understand the past), geodynamics (the large scale dynamics of the earth such as tectonics, mantle convection, crustal deformation) and geophysical fluid dynamics (e.g. atmospheric and oceanic physics).

Geophysics is a natural science so definitely do not view it as some subset of geography. It's basically a branch of physics applied to planetary problems. It's perfect if you've got a strong interest in physics and the natural earth.

If that sounds interesting but you'd rather do a slightly broader course rather than doing pure geophysics then perhaps consider applying for a Geology or Earth Sciences course that has a good range of geophysics modules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Geophysics is the application of physics to the Earth systems. Examples of things you might study include seismology (understanding earthquakes and using seismic waves to understand the earth's interior), geomagnetics (using the earth's magnetic field to understand the past), geodynamics (the large scale dynamics of the earth such as tectonics, mantle convection, crustal deformation) and geophysical fluid dynamics (e.g. atmospheric and oceanic physics).

Geophysics is a natural science so definitely do not view it as some subset of geography. It's basically a branch of physics applied to planetary problems. It's perfect if you've got a strong interest in physics and the natural earth.

If that sounds interesting but you'd rather do a slightly broader course rather than doing pure geophysics then perhaps consider applying for a Geology or Earth Sciences course that has a good range of geophysics modules.
    Thank you so much!! It sounds very specific, do you what types of careers can come out of it?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by student32610)
    Thank you so much!! It sounds very specific, do you what types of careers can come out of it?
    It is a specific degree but as with all degrees, you get out if it what you put in. If you work hard and get some good internships, you'll be fine. It's a numerate degree so you'll be able to apply for most jobs looking for physical science or maths-heavy degrees. In terms of jobs specifically related to Geophysics, you've got various research jobs, industry (O&G, mining, etc.), geophysical/geotechnical services, hydrogeology, GIS, and so on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    It is a specific degree but as with all degrees, you get out if it what you put in. If you work hard and get some good internships, you'll be fine. It's a numerate degree so you'll be able to apply for most jobs looking for physical science or maths-heavy degrees. In terms of jobs specifically related to Geophysics, you've got various research jobs, industry (O&G, mining, etc.), geophysical/geotechnical services, hydrogeology, GIS, and so on.
    Thank you so much that's amazing!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.