Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Economics Model Essay Answers [A2 LEVEL - ALL EXAM BOARDS - ESPECIALLY AQA] Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys,

I am a Year 13 student and I'm currently studying A2 AQA Economics and I feel that past papers are essential to getting the top grade. The content in the book is fairly easy to learn (maybe not to retain) but the hard part is past papers where it's not generalised and in context and students often fail to answer the questions or use inappropriate concepts and get inadequate marks in exams.

The essays will be posted here and we can decide as a group where to combine them all e.g. word document on dropbox, google docs massive document etc. Regardless, I'll always make a folder with the individual essays so people can scan through and pick and choose which ones they need. Essentially, I want to focus on the AQA exam board as that's what I do at school but if this becomes popular and people from different exam boards contribute and the demand really hits high for other exam boards too, we will start writing essays for Edexcel, OCR etc too. Most essays will overlap in terms of topics just the style of the question will be different, but that's the best practice - answering those styled questions that you haven't seen before.

Information written when posting an essay (AQA only atm):

Year/Exam Series:
    Micro or Macro:
    Question #:
    Marks available:
    Topic:

How to write the actual model essay:

Context (what the extract is about):
    Topic:
    Link to topics in the news: e.g. Income Inequality in the UK

Start off the essay by writing the key points in the mark schemes and extending them slightly, so write a few lines about the areas of discussion that could be talked which are written in the mark scheme. Then we can start writing the actual answer - as some people ignore the bullet points in the mark scheme because they don't often know how this can be used to answer the question. The more ways you know to answer the question, the better. In Economics, if you run out of ideas and links - it's not a good sign.

Intro/Important Definitions:

Talk about the key terms or definitions given in the question or talk about the definitions that link the most to the question.
    Talk about the issue of the question briefly in a few lines showing the examiner you understand what the question is about. This should be a good start to the essay, getting into brief detail about what you are going to be writing in the next few paragraphs.

Areas of discussion with extended logical chains of reasoning:

Talk about both sides of the discussion and different policies that could be used to deal with the issue in the question. Use in-depth analysis using concepts you've learnt in the specification content, use application from the real-world to talk about the uses of these policies and their effectiveness (helps with evaluation). Use diagrams to help with the analysis and possibly with the real-world application you talked about (if you can). Evaluate the effectiveness of the policies or measures taken to deal with the issue in the question. This is essential for the top marks, you will be capped heavily without evaluation hence why you do it within each paragraph and not all at the end.

Conclusion/final evaluation:
    Answer the question in clear and detailed matter, leaving no doubt for the examiner - talk about the best policy and why the others wouldn't be the best. Justify this by weighing your points and focussing your arguments. Sometimes a policy on its own won't work - talk about why and why it's better to use policies in tandem. Provide balance in the conclusion and don't just talk about why this is the best policy only, talk about why the others are not the best equally. Talk about the short run/long run effects (most important and critical EV point in the conclusion - can be talked about anywhere). Use evidence in your final conclusion through application again and talk about recent successes or failures for the policies talked about.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timif2)
    Thanks so much
    No worries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chittesh14)
    Hello guys,

I am a Year 13 student and I'm currently studying A2 AQA Economics and I feel that past papers are essential to getting the top grade. The content in the book is fairly easy to learn (maybe not to retain) but the hard part is past papers where it's not generalised and in context and students often fail to answer the questions or use inappropriate concepts and get inadequate marks in exams.

The essays will be posted here and we can decide as a group where to combine them all e.g. word document on dropbox, google docs massive document etc. Regardless, I'll always make a folder with the individual essays so people can scan through and pick and choose which ones they need. Essentially, I want to focus on the AQA exam board as that's what I do at school but if this becomes popular and people from different exam boards contribute and the demand really hits high for other exam boards too, we will start writing essays for Edexcel, OCR etc too. Most essays will overlap in terms of topics just the style of the question will be different, but that's the best practice - answering those styled questions that you haven't seen before.

Information written when posting an essay (AQA only atm):

Year/Exam Series:
    Micro or Macro:
    Question #:
    Marks available:
    Topic:

How to write the actual model essay:

Context (what the extract is about):
    Topic:
    Link to topics in the news: e.g. Income Inequality in the UK

Start off the essay by writing the key points in the mark schemes and extending them slightly, so write a few lines about the areas of discussion that could be talked which are written in the mark scheme. Then we can start writing the actual answer - as some people ignore the bullet points in the mark scheme because they don't often know how this can be used to answer the question. The more ways you know to answer the question, the better. In Economics, if you run out of ideas and links - it's not a good sign.

Intro/Important Definitions:

Talk about the key terms or definitions given in the question or talk about the definitions that link the most to the question.
    Talk about the issue of the question briefly in a few lines showing the examiner you understand what the question is about. This should be a good start to the essay, getting into brief detail about what you are going to be writing in the next few paragraphs.

Areas of discussion with extended logical chains of reasoning:

Talk about both sides of the discussion and different policies that could be used to deal with the issue in the question. Use in-depth analysis using concepts you've learnt in the specification content, use application from the real-world to talk about the uses of these policies and their effectiveness (helps with evaluation). Use diagrams to help with the analysis and possibly with the real-world application you talked about (if you can). Evaluate the effectiveness of the policies or measures taken to deal with the issue in the question. This is essential for the top marks, you will be capped heavily without evaluation hence why you do it within each paragraph and not all at the end.

Conclusion/final evaluation:
    Answer the question in clear and detailed matter, leaving no doubt for the examiner - talk about the best policy and why the others wouldn't be the best. Justify this by weighing your points and focussing your arguments. Sometimes a policy on its own won't work - talk about why and why it's better to use policies in tandem. Provide balance in the conclusion and don't just talk about why this is the best policy only, talk about why the others are not the best equally. Talk about the short run/long run effects (most important and critical EV point in the conclusion - can be talked about anywhere). Use evidence in your final conclusion through application again and talk about recent successes or failures for the policies talked about.
    Isn’t the highest mark question in econ 15 marks? That’s not really an essay

ReputationRep:
    I do WJEC AS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reece.W.J)
    Isn’t the highest mark question in econ 15 marks? That’s not really an essay
    In most exam boards it's 20/25 marks.

ReputationRep:
    In most exam boards it's 20/25 marks.
    Oh yeah I just looked at past papers and AS the highest is 10 some 8 markers then same A unit 1 but A level unit 2 is technically 30 but split into 20 and 10 3 of those in that paper and that’s it (rip me next year)

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah I just looked at past papers and AS the highest is 10 some 8 markers then same A unit 1 but A level unit 2 is technically 30 but split into 20 and 10 3 of those in that paper and that’s it (rip me next year)
    Lol no worries, you are very lucky then.
    It's fine, next year will be fine if you work hard.

ReputationRep:
    Lol no worries, you are very lucky then.
    It's fine, next year will be fine if you work hard.
    Yes I want to do economics or accounting and finance at uni

ReputationRep:
    Yes I want to do economics or accounting and finance at uni
    I'm sure you'll get there. I wish you all the best, good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you'll get there. I wish you all the best, good luck.
    Ty. Do you think this is good even though I do WJEC? https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/Student/b...ook.book_MHN71

ReputationRep:
    Ty. Do you think this is good even though I do WJEC? https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/Student/b...ook.book_MHN71
    Np. Yes, Maths is the same - just the style of the questions are different. I'd still recommend another exam board-specific textbook as well. This can be used as an additional revision guide for further questions to be practised.

ReputationRep:
    Np. Yes, Maths is the same - just the style of the questions are different. I'd still recommend another exam board-specific textbook as well. This can be used as an additional revision guide for further questions to be practised.
    Well this isn’t exam board specific but I’ll look at OCR MEI because we use resources from there quite a lot

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.