Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllieCeeJay)
    Again, true, but I think getting a First from Bangor is more valuable than a Third from Oxford. You are true about the jobs - that is, sadly, the world we live in right now. The rest of the Russell Group universities count as recognised universities, too, though, in the same class as Oxford and Cambridge. Places like York, Imperial, Kings and Birmingham are exceedingly well respected in the academic community, for example.

People place Oxford and Cambridge on a pedestal - me myself included, which means they become devastated if they don't get a place. However, I think everything happens for a reason. If you don't get in, you don't get in. I know people who got all A*s in every exam and got rejected from Oxford. In the end, it is the way you learn, as well as your intellect, that gets you a place.
    Whatever uni you think is great for your degree, just make sure you go to one of the more recognised ones at some point. This could be for postgraduate study
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AOA_)
    I'm retaking the year too and hope to end up with really good predicted grades next year like you
    Thanks, you will do! Just make sure you actually do your homework 100% I'm telling ya, it's one of the best ways to revise!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VirgoStrain)
    Whatever uni you think is great for your degree, just make sure you go to one of the more recognised ones at some point. This could be for postgraduate study
    Yeah, any Russell Group university at any point looks great on a CV. I'm probably going to try and do my Masters at Oxford if I don't get onto the BA, but I'm content with another good, high-quality teaching Russell Group university for my undergraduate degree.

I was actually speaking to a woman who did her undergraduate degree at Oxford who now lectures at Birmingham for English - just an example of the kind of people who teach at Russell Groups. Just as high a standard as Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllieCeeJay)
    Yeah, any Russell Group university at any point looks great on a CV. I'm probably going to try and do my Masters at Oxford if I don't get onto the BA, but I'm content with another good, high-quality teaching Russell Group university for my undergraduate degree.

I was actually speaking to a woman who did her undergraduate degree at Oxford who now lectures at Birmingham for English - just an example of the kind of people who teach at Russell Groups. Just as high a standard as Oxbridge.
    Another common switch was going from Cambridge medicine to UCL medicine, which had a much better quality or research and courses in that field.

ReputationRep:
    Not a single person with less than 6 A*'s got an offer, don't even bother.
    What are you basing that on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *pitseleh*)
    What are you basing that on?
    Oxford medicine entry stats
    https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/me...cal/statistics

I assume that if this is the case for medicine applicants, then someone without a single A* and mostly B's and C's doesn't stand a chance, no matter how irrelevant the course they apply to it.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford medicine entry stats
    https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/me...cal/statistics

I assume that if this is the case for medicine applicants, then someone without a single A* and mostly B's and C's doesn't stand a chance, no matter how irrelevant the course they apply to it.
    Perhaps I'm being really myopic, but where does that page make mention of GCSE grades? As it goes, Oxford does suggest a benchmark figure for GCSEs at A* for medical applicants, but not for English Language and Literature, which is what the OP was thinking of applying for. Besides which, Medicine is a strange fish; its admissions requirements can't really be extrapolated to other degrees anywhere else, either.

As it goes, I know a number of people who got in with fewer than six A*s at GCSE, so the suggestion that 'Not a single person with less than 6 A*'s got an offer' is incorrect. I agree that it's not all that likely the OP would get an offer; competition is very stiff, and most applicants will have higher grades than that, but it's possible to say as much without dragging irrelevant stats into the picture.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps I'm being really myopic, but where does that page make mention of GCSE grades? As it goes, Oxford does suggest a benchmark figure for GCSEs at A* for medical applicants, but not for English Language and Literature, which is what the OP was thinking of applying for. Besides which, Medicine is a strange fish; its admissions requirements can't really be extrapolated to other degrees anywhere else, either.

As it goes, I know a number of people who got in with fewer than six A*s at GCSE, so the suggestion that 'Not a single person with less than 6 A*'s got an offer' is incorrect. I agree that it's not all that likely the OP would get an offer; competition is very stiff, and most applicants will have higher grades than that, but it's possible to say as much without dragging irrelevant stats into the picture.

Look at the graphs...

Unis want to see consistency and an ability to do well all round, especially at GCSE level. If you can't do well enough to get straight A*'s and A's and GCSE (which let's be honest isn't too hard considering most people in the country do terribly and the pass marks are less than 50% in almost all cases) then even if you've got stellar A-level predictions can the Uni trust that you will continue that good attainment, or that you're just a one trick pony who happened to do well in their AS exams?

ReputationRep:
    If you take a gap year and do really get those results then it's unlikely but it's possible.Have you thought about any unis outside of Oxbridge? If you go to a uni like Durham no one will think lower of you at all, it's a very respectable university with a similar kind of feel, it even has separate colleges.

ReputationRep:
    Look at the graphs...

Unis want to see consistency and an ability to do well all round, especially at GCSE level. If you can't do well enough to get straight A*'s and A's and GCSE (which let's be honest isn't too hard considering most people in the country do terribly and the pass marks are less than 50% in almost all cases) then even if you've got stellar A-level predictions can the Uni trust that you will continue that good attainment, or that you're just a one trick pony who happened to do well in their AS exams?
    There is no need to look at a graph for medicine applicants when the original poster is applying for English.

You should have a read of the original post as well as the replies from two people who actually work at Oxford and know a lot more about Oxford admissions then you do.

ReputationRep:
    Look at the graphs...

Hm, looks like the bottom half of that page didn't load for me yesterday; the last thing I could see on the page was the 'interviews and offers' bit. Fair enough, no-one got an offer for Medicine at Oxford with fewer than six A*s in 2016. The pertinent point of that, though, is that those admissions statistics are for Medicine. Medicine admissions statistics can't be extrapolated to other subjects. Are you trying to suggest that no-one gets in for any other subjects with fewer than six A*s? If not, why do you think that page is relevant to what the OP is asking?

ReputationRep:
    Hm, looks like the bottom half of that page didn't load for me yesterday; the last thing I could see on the page was the 'interviews and offers' bit. Fair enough, no-one got an offer for Medicine at Oxford with fewer than six A*s in 2016. The pertinent point of that, though, is that those admissions statistics are for Medicine. Medicine admissions statistics can't be extrapolated to other subjects. Are you trying to suggest that no-one gets in for any other subjects with fewer than six A*s? If not, why do you think that page is relevant to what the OP is asking?
    The OP doesn’t even have 6 A’s (or even B’s for that matter), much less 6 A*’s.

I don’t think Oxford’s other courses are so undersubscribed that they would consider offering a place to someone with these GCSE results...

His results are exactly the requirements needed. He doesn’t stand out and as a consequence doesn’t stand a chance against others that meet the requirements AND have good GCSE’s to offer.

ReputationRep:
    The OP doesn’t even have 6 A’s (or even B’s for that matter), much less 6 A*’s.

I don’t think Oxford’s other courses are so undersubscribed that they would consider offering a place to someone with these GCSE results...

His results are exactly the requirements needed. He doesn’t stand out and as a consequence doesn’t stand a chance against others that meet the requirements AND have good GCSE’s to offer.
    You seem to be making the mistake of assuming that if an applicant doesn't 'stand out' in terms of their GCSEs, that it's impossible to stand out in any other way. I don't know what stage of education you're at, but GCSEs simply aren't weighted that highly by a lot of universities. If the OP were to apply with, say, 3A* in the bag at A-level, a great personal statement and a stellar ELAT, who knows? GCSEs are just one component of an application.

That said, I did mention earlier that I don't think it's likely that the OP will get an offer.. but that doesn't mean it's impossible. I'm not sure why you're continuing to argue the opposite when two official college admin accounts have already stated these GCSEs wouldn't automatically rule anyone out.

ReputationRep:
    You seem to be making the mistake of assuming that if an applicant doesn't 'stand out' in terms of their GCSEs, that it's impossible to stand out in any other way. I don't know what stage of education you're at, but GCSEs simply aren't weighted that highly by a lot of universities. If the OP were to apply with, say, 3A* in the bag at A-level, a great personal statement and a stellar ELAT, who knows? GCSEs are just one component of an application.

That said, I did mention earlier that I don't think it's likely that the OP will get an offer.. but that doesn't mean it's impossible. I'm not sure why you're continuing to argue the opposite when two official college admin accounts have already stated these GCSEs wouldn't automatically rule anyone out.
    You say most unis don’t weight GCSE’s that much but we’re talking about Oxford here...

ReputationRep:
    You say most unis don’t weight GCSE’s that much but we’re talking about Oxford here...
    Oh good grief.. read the comments by LMH and Brasenose admins. They've both said that the OP's GCSEs are not an automatic barrier to admission. No-one is disputing that her application might be less competitive than some of the others, just that she's not unequivocally out of the running with those grades.

Look at the selection criteria for BA English Language and Literature on the English Faculty website - they stipulate no particular GCSE requirements, but they do note that there are five major components of the application, of which prior and predicted grades are only one. You're arguing with two Oxford admins and (currently) one Oxford grad who studied the subject in which the OP is interested, who (shock, horror) was accepted with fewer than six A*s, or even a majority of A*s. Of those candidates I met via TSR the year I applied, I recall two successful applicants, one of whom had only one A* and the other of whom had none. Yes, of course a huge number of people had better results than that, and plenty had a clean sweep of top grades. Still doesn't mean it's impossible to get an offer with less-than-perfect (or even mediocre) GCSE grades. Besides which, Oxford would only be one choice out of five.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.