Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Humiliated in maths class ! Watch

ReputationRep:
    This was an occurrence on Thursday that I still cannot leave behind
    We had a maths lesson with a supply teacher and we were solving problems , A level and GCSE questions.
    One group decided to ask me for help in a question ( I’m seen as the smartest in the class because I’ve been getting highest scores in test)
    The problem is I did not know how to answer that maths question which was GCSE. So , I stared the paper and my brain couldn’t process anything , anything. I felt very awkward to give them the paper back .
    After I tell them I have nooooo idea . Then I hear people muttering. very mean comments like she ain’t smart after all , or let’s ask someone who knows their stuff.
    At that moment I felt sooo mad not at them but at myself . Like how do I know how to answers hard questions but not simple GCSE questions ?

I tried to let that incident go but it is still in my head

ReputationRep:
    Your avatar is Sec(c)
    :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    use this experience to learn... to learn about yourself, and math, and other people :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KillerCosine)
    We had a maths lesson with a supply teacher and we were solving problems , A level and GCSE questions.
    One group decided to ask me for help in a question ( I’m seen as the smartest in the class because I’ve been getting highest scores in test)
    The problem is I did not know how to answer that maths question which was GCSE. So , I stared the paper and my brain couldn’t process anything , anything. I felt very awkward to give them the paper back .
    After I tell them I have nooooo idea . Then I hear people muttering. very mean comments like she ain’t smart after all , or let’s ask someone who knows their stuff.
    At that moment I felt sooo mad not at them but at myself . Like how do I know how to answers hard questions but not simple GCSE questions ?

no need to be mad at urself jst dont over think it

ReputationRep:
    Damn those people sound like genuine asswipes. Not knowing how to answer just ONE question doesn't mean mean you're "not smart', but instead in mathematics you should view these problems as an opportunity to further your knowledge and learn something new. Besides, if THEY couldn't solve it why are getting at you for the same thing lol. Anyways, pay no attention to people like this, continue to better yourself everyday and remember that maths would be hella boring if you just knew everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ganjaweed Rebel)
    Your avatar is Sec(c)
    :sexface:
    lol

ReputationRep:
    Everyone has mind blanks, it's nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radioactivedecay)
    Damn those people sound like genuine asswipes. Not knowing how to answer just ONE question doesn't mean mean you're "not smart', but instead in mathematics you should view these problems as an opportunity to further your knowledge and learn something new. Besides, if THEY couldn't solve it why are getting at you for the same thing lol. Anyways, pay no attention to people like this, continue to better yourself everyday and remember that maths would be hella boring if you just knew everything.
    Thanks , you are right Maths would totally be boring!
    And yes I have to put up with them for two years I’ll show them who is goong to get that A*

ReputationRep:
    do you remember what the question was ?

:holmes:

ReputationRep:

If they judge your ability on one question that's ridiculous. Everyone gets confused sometimes, even the cleverest. And maths is a varied subject, some bits you may find easier than others

ReputationRep:

So they asked for help not knowing the question and still mocked you when you couldn’t do it? People are morons honestly, don’t take it to heart and work on bettering your downfalls
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    It's a hard thing to learn in life, to only care about your, and the people you hold dear opinion's regarding yourself. it just naturally gets easier the older you get, you learn to deal with that "judgement" feeling by simply not giving a crap anymore. that incident on Thursday will fade into obscurity pretty quickly i guarantee, most people just don't hold onto things like that when it's someone else who is at the receiving end. you sound like the sorta person who went home that night and looked up immediately the answer. if anything else like that happens again in the future (it probz wont) try and shrug it off with a little self deprecation, always put a smile on my face to steal the thunder from people who were about to say something venomous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    do you remember what the question was ?

:holmes:
    I don’t exacly remember . I don’t have the paper with me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Warm_G)
    It's a hard thing to learn in life, to only care about your, and the people you hold dear opinion's regarding yourself. it just naturally gets easier the older you get, you learn to deal with that "judgement" feeling by simply not giving a crap anymore. that incident on Thursday will fade into obscurity pretty quickly i guarantee, most people just don't hold onto things like that when it's someone else who is at the receiving end. you sound like the sorta person who went home that night and looked up immediately the answer. if anything else like that happens again in the future (it probz wont) try and shrug it off with a little self deprecation, always put a smile on my face to steal the thunder from people who were about to say something venomous.
    Oh thanks . I appreciate every word

ReputationRep:
    They're being childish in judging you based on that one question. At the end of the day, you're getting the highest scores in tests and you have nothing to prove to other students. I know how you're feeling like because people often come to me for help and I sometimes don't have anything useful to say. You'll get used to the fact that you won't always have the answer and that's completely fine. I did well in my GCSE and A level so it really doesn't matter to me what other people my age or people younger than me have to say about my academic abilities and you'll eventually decide on the same. The reason why they said the stuff that they did is probably because they're bitter about not being able to answer the question themselves with time and people to talk to and want to make themselves feel better by criticising you not being able to answer it on the spot.

ReputationRep:
    don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep 😉😉
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I had a similar issue which involved misreading dy/dx as dx/dy

ReputationRep:
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M451)
    They're being childish in judging you based on that one question. At the end of the day, you're getting the highest scores in tests and you have nothing to prove to other students. I know how you're feeling like because people often come to me for help and I sometimes don't have anything useful to say. You'll get used to the fact that you won't always have the answer and that's completely fine. I did well in my GCSE and A level so it really doesn't matter to me what other people my age or people younger than me have to say about my academic abilities and you'll eventually decide on the same. The reason why they said the stuff that they did is probably because they're bitter about not being able to answer the question themselves with time and people to talk to and want to make themselves feel better by criticising you not being able to answer it on the spot.
    you are definitely right.thanks

ReputationRep:
    I always used to hate getting mind blanks in maths! It's something about the subject for me, it doesn't happen in other things. It's worse when it's the teacher picking on you.

Ignore them. They won't remember it for long, so don't waste mental energy on them. Is the class (and more importantly the teacher) going to remember all your high test scores, or that time your brain went on strike over one thing? Remember all these people seem very important when you have to see them every lesson, but they won't forever.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.