Turn on thread page Beta

Grow Your Grades - Smileygirl12 watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    This is my first time ever really posting on TSR but I thought doing this challenge would help me keep track of my progress throughout the year as well as helping my use some English skills occasionally as I now do no English work. I almost miss it... So I've now been going to my college for just over a month and I take:
    ~ A Level Maths
    ~ A Level Biology
    ~ A Level Chemistry
    ~ A Level Music
    ~ EPQ

In my GCSEs I got:
    ~ Maths - 8
    ~ English Literature - 8
    ~ English Language - 6
    ~ Biology - A*
    ~ Chemistry - A
    ~ Physics - A
    ~ Further Maths - A*
    ~ French - A*
    ~ Geography - A
    ~ Psychology - A
    ~ Music - B
    ~ Religious Philosophy - B

Which I was super happy with. As well as getting my Grade 5 (Merit) in Acoustic Guitar.

By the end of the school year, I hope to have my Grade 6 in Electric Guitar and at least Bs in all of my subjects. So far, I've gotten results from my first Chemistry and Biology tests and I got Bs in both and I will get my Music and Maths test results back. I need to decide on my EPQ topic by the start of the next half term and I would like to make it Music themed as I would like to be a professional musician and aim to either take Music as a degree or do an apprenticeship.

Thanks for reading, I'll update soon xx

ReputationRep:
    Heya!
    So I decided to talk about my supplies for each subject and how I keep organised for anyone who's interested.

General Equipment
    Scientific Calculator - For Maths, Chemistry and Biology (this was a special calculator specifically for Maths but can also be used for Science)
    Pens - For writing notes and answering questions
    Coloured Pens - For writing notes and marking questions
    Mechanical Pencil - For Maths and writing on scores in Music
    Ruler - For Maths
    Flashcards - For revision notes
    Lined Paper - For notes
    Squared Paper - For working in Maths
    Poly-Pockets - To store notes and booklets in

Biology
    1 Pink Plastic Wallet - To carry what I need to class
    1 Pink Lever Arch Folder - To store my notes and booklets from class

We were also given copies of the specification and a general Year 1 Biology workbook.

Chemistry
    1 Black Plastic Wallet (I couldn't get purple )
    1 Purple Lever Arch Folder

Maths
    1 Black Plastic Wallet
    1 Black Lever Arch Folder

Music
    1 Blue Plastic Wallet
    1 Blue Lever Arch Folder

We were also given a book of Manuscript paper and a copy of the scores we are studying.

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

I've labelled each of my Lever Arch Folders and Plastic Wallets with the subject they are for and hope to only need one Lever Arch Folder per subject (a girl can dream) so I can keep them colour coordinated by subject.

That was just a quick update on my Equipment for class, thank you for reading xx

ReputationRep:
    Helloooooooooo there and (almost) Happy Halloween!
    So, I got my results for my Maths and Music tests and I'm pretty happy honestly; I got a B in Music and a D in Maths. Overall my current grades look like this:
    ~ Maths - D
    ~ Biology - B
    ~ Chemistry - B
    ~ Music - B

Obviously though, I have just started college - though I'm already a 12th of the way through 0.0 . This means two things about my results.
    They are only based on a small amount of content so were easier in that aspect HOWEVER, they were also based on skills which I've only just began to learn and develop meaning I should improve over time.

In terms of my work over half term, it isn't too bad. For Biology, I need to complete my folder so it is completely updated with all of Topic 1 and make a few revision resources so I don't have too much to do when I actually need to revise. For Chemistry, I have to finish some Mole calculations booklets which I've luckily already done. For Maths, I have a booklet on the topics covered I need to finish and for Music, I have no homework! I also have some homework for my EPQ which is just to start writing my initial ideas so I am ready to start when we get back.

That's all I have for this time but thanks for reading

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!
    This is just a small update on my college experience, not my actual grades.

I decided to try to run for Student President at my college and there are currently 8, I think, nominees. Over half term, until the 30th, we have to write a Personal Statement on why we would be the best Student President and so should be put on the ballot paper. These statements will be voted on to get the 6 people who will get to run for Student President and so will be on the ballot paper. If we get through this stage we will have to make videos, manifestos and posters etc. I am super excited to see if I get through as I think that I would be able to really improve the college if I was elected as President/Vice President.

Thanks for reading
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    So I'm currently writing this on "T2 day", not a clue what it stands for, but it's the day where we have a 1-2-1 meeting with our form tutors to discuss how we're doing and think about our future career paths. I also attended a lecture on Student Finance and Apprenticeships. My form tutor seemed pretty happy with how I'm doing so far and was super nice just saying I needed to practice Maths a bit more so I would do better (than a D) next time.

After looking into it a bit more I think I would like to study music at University, possibly as a flexible honours which is where you do extra subjects as part of the degree. I'm hoping to potentially study at Manchester University as it is reasonably near to where I live (more home cooked food), but also has good options for the course. To study there, I will need a Grade 8 in my instrument (Guitar) as well as an A in my Music A Level. I am also trying to get a Theory Grade (8) before applying to University to improve my application as well as the fact I enjoy theory.

In other news, I have got through to be a Student President candidate at my college meaning I will get to campaign to be the Student President of the Student Union. This means I will get to create posters, manifestos and videos to hopefully win the role.

Thanks for reading x
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Smileygirl12)
    Hi
    So I'm currently writing this on "T2 day", not a clue what it stands for, but it's the day where we have a 1-2-1 meeting with our form tutors to discuss how we're doing and think about our future career paths. I also attended a lecture on Student Finance and Apprenticeships. My form tutor seemed pretty happy with how I'm doing so far and was super nice just saying I needed to practice Maths a bit more so I would do better (than a D) next time.

After looking into it a bit more I think I would like to study music at University, possibly as a flexible honours which is where you do extra subjects as part of the degree. I'm hoping to potentially study at Manchester University as it is reasonably near to where I live (more home cooked food), but also has good options for the course. To study there, I will need a Grade 8 in my instrument (Guitar) as well as an A in my Music A Level. I am also trying to get a Theory Grade (8) before applying to University to improve my application as well as the fact I enjoy theory.

In other news, I have got through to be a Student President candidate at my college meaning I will get to campaign to be the Student President of the Student Union. This means I will get to create posters, manifestos and videos to hopefully win the role.

Thanks for reading x
    Great blog! Hope you can get your Grade 8 theory. I've always wanted to do music theory and sit the exams but I've never got round to it.

Best of luck with the Student Presidential campaign too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brainzistheword)
    Great blog! Hope you can get your Grade 8 theory. I've always wanted to do music theory and sit the exams but I've never got round to it.

Best of luck with the Student Presidential campaign too!
    Thanks! You should definitely try learning some theory as it's really interesting to look at how music is created and fits together. I recommend the website MyMusicTheory
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Thanks! You should definitely try learning some theory as it's really interesting to look at how music is created and fits together. I recommend the website MyMusicTheory
    No problem - and thank you! I'll definitely take a look. I worked towards my Grade 3 piano by the time i left school but it's now become something I find very little time to do anymore which is a shame...

All the best!

ReputationRep:
    Heya.
    So, this week I've been moving house so obviously life is pretty hectic. Unfortunately, that has affected my college work. I've missed writing up notes and homework and I'm pretty behind in almost all of my subjects. Right now I feel pretty rubbish as I have notes of several weeks to catch up, homeworks due and posters to finish/print as well as unpacking and trying to not get too stressed. I'll let you know how I'm doing in a bit though currently it's not so great.
    Thanks for reading x

ReputationRep:
    Hi there
    So, this week I've been doing a lot better. My notes are almost completely up to date and I managed to do a tiny bit of revision for my Biology test which was today. Unfortunately I really needed to do more but at least I managed to do some and hopefully by Christmas, I'll have a lot less to think about and will be able to relax a bit more. Currently, I have to prepare for the Christmas Show, the Talent Show, the Presidential Election debate, my guitar grades, my exams in music, chemistry and maths and continue to do homework as well as keeping up my social life and general life. Luckily, I know what I need to do so I just need to work hard and I can manage it all! (Hopefully...)
    Thanks for reading x

ReputationRep:
    Hiiiiiiiiiii!
    Ok so maybe I missed a literal month of updates 0.0 ooooops. Sorryyyyyy!
    Honestly, the reason is I've been super busy and not feeling ~that~ great. Anyway, onto the actual update.

Student President
    So, I didn't win Student President which is a shame cause I think I would have done a great job but I'm also kind of glad because otherwise I would have had even more work to do which could have ended up being overwhelming. However, the debate did go super well and I actually won out of the six candidates so there is definitely a positive sign there.

Christmas and Talent Shows
    These both went awesomely. I had a great time doing both of them and even though I didn't win the Talent Show (my super talented friend did) and there were a few technical difficulties, I enjoyed performing loads especially as I haven't done any shows for months.

Grades
    Sooooo, since the last update I had a set of tests in each of my subjects and I got ABBB:
    A - Biology
    B - Chemistry
    B - Maths
    B - Music
    However, as I didn't revise too much, I know that this is positive as I can definitely work more to try and get As in everything and possibly A*s if I work super hard.

Guitar
    I currently have quite a bit of practice to do but I'm pretty sure that by the Spring or Summer exam periods, I'll be ready to do my Grade 7 so I have plenty of time to get ready for Grade 8 and any auditions I need to do to get to do Music at University.

~General Stuffs~
    I've found college super difficult recently due to struggling to keep motivated and I know lots of people feel the same so just make sure to take so time to yourself and rest and relax when you need to. I've personally taken the time between college ending and Christmas to kinda reset, sort out my room from moving, get ready for Christmas and just feel a lot better so that after Christmas, I'm ready to work super hard again.

Remember you're awesome, have an amazing Christmas, Hannukah, or festive period, thanks for reading x

ReputationRep:
    Hiya guys 😊,
    Since the last update, not too much has happened (luckily). I've just been getting homework and general work to do which I am definitely able to do. The problem now is also being motivated enough to do the extra work I need to do. After going out with friends, I tend to not be bothered to do extra work such as writing notes or making flash cards which I need to get into the habit of soon. I am definitely going to work on putting in that little bit of extra work to help bring the Bs up to As in my next exams (in February). My target for these exams is AAAA and I should be starting to get work on my EPQ done by then. (My current title idea is Is A Third Wave Of Feminism Necessary In Western Society?). In other news, I got a violin today which is totally awesome! I now have 6 instruments which is a lot but I take Music A Level so I have an excuse for spending all of my money on music related things. That's it for now, sorry it's such a short update, not a lot has happened, but I'll talk to you all soon.
    Thanks for reading xx

ReputationRep:
    Hi! You have a good blog! I am also a music student. What exam board are you doing? Also I'm studying for my grade 8 theory, i found 6, 7 and 8 very different to 5!
    Anyway good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrumpetCrumpet)
    Hi! You have a good blog! I am also a music student. What exam board are you doing? Also I'm studying for my grade 8 theory, i found 6, 7 and 8 very different to 5!
    Anyway good luck!
    I'm doing RGT for my Guitar Grade 7 but I may switch to ABRSM for Grade 8. I've found that Grade 6 theory is a lot harder than Grade 5 haha

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing RGT for my Guitar Grade 7 but I may switch to ABRSM for Grade 8. I've found that Grade 6 theory is a lot harder than Grade 5 haha
    Sorry I meant what exam board for A level music. However I would really recommend the switch, ABRSM is such a higher standard and it's looked upon better by unis.
    Where theory is concerned it's all about reading the questions when you get to higher grades. If you find a question and it's easy you've probably missed something as I noticed they do really try and trick you!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Edexcel for Music. And I'm aiming to do ABRSM as I'm interested in the RNCM courses which require a high standard.
    (Original post by TrumpetCrumpet)
    Sorry I meant what exam board for A level music. However I would really recommend the switch, ABRSM is such a higher standard and it's looked upon better by unis.
    Where theory is concerned it's all about reading the questions when you get to higher grades. If you find a question and it's easy you've probably missed something as I noticed they do really try and trick you!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!
    So, since the last update, things have been getting along a little better. I'm working to write up notes on all my subjects in time for my exams and hopefully manage to actually have some time to revise. I'd like to get AAA (we're not doing a music exam this time) as it would help me to feel more confident, however, I've struggled to find time to revise with everything else going on in my life.
    I've decided to start my EPQ and should finish it by the end of March with my current title being Is A Third Wave Of Feminism Necessary In Western Society. So far I have looked at some of the laws involved, a couple of book about feminism in the past and currently, as well as some articles, videos and TED talks. I should start writing my EPQ after February half term.
    I'm also currently looking at entering my Grade 7 RGT guitar exam which would be in March or April. I need to get a good grade in this exam as it will be on my UCAS so I need to decide whether to postpone it until the Summer.
    I have found the past few weeks difficult as I have lots to do with lots of different deadlines which I need to think about however I'm slowly working on everything and definitely getting there.
    Thanks for reading x

ReputationRep:
    Heya guys!
    So, since last time, quite a bit has happened (which is what tends to happen when you don't update for weeks, oops).
    I am currently preparing for my Grade 7 acoustic guitar exam which is this Sunday and I'm only sort of ready, oh no.
    I've also got my EPQ deadline for 2 weeks from now which is when my production log, essay and presentation are all due so I'm going to be a very busy bee.
    I've got all my marks back for this set of exams and unfortunately it isn't looking as good as I had hoped, however I didn't manage to revise much so I did decently well. I got B - Maths, C - Biology and D - Chemistry. I also have parents evening on Thursday so I am looking forward to being told to work harder even though I already know, oh well.
    As I said, I'm quite busy so that is all for now,
    Thank you for reading xx

ReputationRep:
    Heya guys!
    So, since last time, quite a bit has happened (which is what tends to happen when you don't update for weeks, oops).
    I am currently preparing for my Grade 7 acoustic guitar exam which is this Sunday and I'm only sort of ready, oh no.
    I've also got my EPQ deadline for 2 weeks from now which is when my production log, essay and presentation are all due so I'm going to be a very busy bee.
    I've got all my marks back for this set of exams and unfortunately it isn't looking as good as I had hoped, however I didn't manage to revise much so I did decently well. I got B - Maths, C - Biology and D - Chemistry. I also have parents evening on Thursday so I am looking forward to being told to work harder even though I already know, oh well.
    As I said, I'm quite busy so that is all for now,
    Thank you for reading xx
    good luck!! :rave:

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!
    So, as I'm talking, my guitar exam is tomorrow! (It was postponed due to the snow.) I feel a lot more prepared which is good as I'm also a lot more confident and less stressed.
    I've handed in my EPQ essay and done my presentation, both of which I feel went well. I have my Production Log due in a few days but I will make sure that I finish that quite soon as it is a large percentage of the grade.
    After the Easter holidays, although I haven't done as much college work as I had hoped, I have done a lot of work outside of college which has been useful. I hope that throughout the next term I can be more productive as the grades I get will be sent to UCAS and so will affect my university application.
    I have also completed my iDEA award, similar to an online DofE, I can put this on my UCAS and my CV which is super useful.
    I have managed to get a job (at MacDonalds, of course, haha) during the holidays which is great as it allows me to get some more money to fuel my concert habit.
    Thanks for reading xx

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.