Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am in the middle of an education switch.

I just got out of my 4th year MEng in Aerospace Engineering in a Russell Group uni and now transferring to an MSc in Robotics in the same uni. I did this last minute as I am passionate about machine learning/computer vision and not really on Aerospace. (I know.. a bit late to realise that.)
    For context, I did very good in my Aerospace degree. I got the best grades in my cohort averaging 84%, and know a lot of the staff from research projects and internships.

Anyway, my goal is to get into a prestigious PhD in Machine/Deep Learning and work in research within industry or in academia.

I am now applying for Masters programmes in Machine Learning/AI/Computer Science for next year but I am worried that my background (BEng Aerospace + MSc Robotics) is not ideal for these. I have started doing relevant online courses + coursework and reading some books. I would ideally want to study in UCL, Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, Edinburgh, ETH, EPFL or a similar world-leading university in the field.

Do you think that I have any chances of being accepted in these programmes or am I doomed?

ReputationRep:
    You absolutely stand a chance! You’ve been doing wider research as well, which is brilliant. Definitely give it a go :-)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Yes, actually with an aerospace engineering background you will very strong candidate as the mathematics in machine learning is no where near as difficult as what you’ve encountered in fluid mechanics etc so you should find the theory quite easy. You just gotta improve your programming skills
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the positive responses so far jemima2468 and bigboateng_, anyone else has any more insight?
    Also, I am not sure about what the admissions teams would think of going for a second masters. Is it strange?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cangurix)
    Hi, I am in the middle of an education switch.

I just got out of my 4th year MEng in Aerospace Engineering in a Russell Group uni and now transferring to an MSc in Robotics in the same uni. I did this last minute as I am passionate about machine learning/computer vision and not really on Aerospace. (I know.. a bit late to realise that.)
    For context, I did very good in my Aerospace degree. I got the best grades in my cohort averaging 84%, and know a lot of the staff from research projects and internships.

Anyway, my goal is to get into a prestigious PhD in Machine/Deep Learning and work in research within industry or in academia.

I am now applying for Masters programmes in Machine Learning/AI/Computer Science for next year but I am worried that my background (BEng Aerospace + MSc Robotics) is not ideal for these. I have started doing relevant online courses + coursework and reading some books. I would ideally want to study in UCL, Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, Edinburgh, ETH, EPFL or a similar world-leading university in the field.

Do you think that I have any chances of being accepted in these programmes or am I doomed?
    There are many outstanding libraries and projects for the implementation of machine/deep learning (like Tensorflow or Torch). So the amount of coding you need to know isn't huge. You could implement an impressive ML project with a few hundred lines of python for example.

Did you do much coding in your previous studies?

From my experience of deep learning, its much easier to teach some with a strong math/stats background coding skills than to teach a software engineer the stats skills they need for ML.

You would get in to Edinburgh no problem for a masters in CS or Informatics. If you do well you will have an excellent chance of getting a Phd position. I have no real experience with the other uni's I'm afraid.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.