Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Drunk words - did he not mean this? Watch

I've been seeing a guy over the last few months, we're exclusive and really in to one another. Last night he texted me telling me he wants to spend the rest of his life with me. He doesn't normally express his feelings when sober as I don't think he has the courage to do so but he will usually tell me things like this when he's drunk. He was evidently drunk when he sent the text (early hours of the morning). I asked him if he meant it and he replied saying he was very drunk but that he does like me. Does this mean he didn't mean what he said? Or is he perhaps embarrassed?

in vino veritas

bump

??

ReputationRep:
      Why don’t you ask him?
      He’s more likely to know the answer than tsr
      • Community Assistant
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Anonymous)
      I've been seeing a guy over the last few months, we're exclusive and really in to one another. Last night he texted me telling me he wants to spend the rest of his life with me. He doesn't normally express his feelings when sober as I don't think he has the courage to do so but he will usually tell me things like this when he's drunk. He was evidently drunk when he sent the text (early hours of the morning). I asked him if he meant it and he replied saying he was very drunk but that he does like me. Does this mean he didn't mean what he said? Or is he perhaps embarrassed?
      Drunk mind speaks a sober heart.

bump

ReputationRep:
      What you need to ask yourself is do you really want to be with someone who’s going to always have you second guessing and fearing to express their feelings? That’s going to get irritating real fast and isn’t good for a healthy relationship.

That being said you usually speak your mind when drunk. I think you should talk face to face and actually discuss this and his lack of communication.
      Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
      You can't lie when your drunk, that's just a fact.
      What has a happened here is that he expressed his feelings since his senses were inhibited but he wasn't yet ready to express these feelings and as a result feels embarresed.
      It doesn't mean that he didn't mean what he said, he just regrets saying it when he wasn't ready to. Picture it this way, if you had a crush who you admitted your feelings to in a drunk text , yes you do like this person but you're very embarresed about the circumstances and you didn't feel ready to tell them you liked them yet so you might feel tempted to lie about it.

bump

??

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 14, 2017
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.