Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If you do, prepare for difficult exams that gives your ACCA and ACA contemporaries a clear unfair advantage, And ultimately gives you a poorer salary and lower job prospect than those qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avicihk)
    If you do, prepare for difficult exams that gives your ACCA and ACA contemporaries a clear unfair advantage, And ultimately gives you a poorer salary and lower job prospect than those qualifications.
    Unfair advantage? How so?

ReputationRep:
    With a Acca and aca you can skip ATT and the final application exam (the hardest exam) in the CTA qualification. Essentially you will get the CTA just doing 3 written papers and 2 smaller online tests (rather than 7 written papers in ATT-CTA) If u do ATT-CTA, you will have 1 or 2 foundation level exemptions in ACA and ACCA which is ********.

Exempting the application paper in CTA may sounds like it's no big deal. But you have to do all the CTA exams in 7 sittings (used to be 5 sittings) and I have met multiple people who never passed the last paper in my career. Some of them are very smart. It is also a paper that is based on luck. If you get a good question, you may pass. If you get a bad paper, you will never pass.

By exempting Acca and aca from the worst paper (and the easiest 3 ATT exams), the CIOT are giving them unfair advantage.

And if u have met anyone who did the Acca-CTA and aca-CTA, they would tell you CTA is way harder (even though they have been exempted from the hardest exam)

So, just make your life easier and don't do the ATT-CTA.

ReputationRep:
    I did att-cta route a good few years ago. I love law and don't mind tax, hate accounting. Att was manageable. Cta...i failed like 3 times doing all 4 papers at once. I passed some but not all and you need all. You might think, why didn't I spread them over 4 years? Well you need all the study from awareness and the other two papers to pass the interaction paper. So it makes sense to do all and take your chances, plus the content changes each Nov so if you spread over two years you need to buy a whole new set of books.

I was around when the unfair aca-cta exemptions were beginning. I was so annoyed that my peers with academic could get cta by skipping out the hardest paper.

Cta requires everyone to have a prior professional qualification yet the pass rates for each paper are low like 30%

Aca does not require any prior qualification but the pass rates are 80%

So aca-cta route is much easier.

As a practitioner, att-cta does give you deeper more all round knowledge that your peers do not have. I don't think your client s will appreciate how much of a difference it makes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomas4321)
    The exemption is being dropped from 2018.

https://www.tax.org.uk/students-and-...its-exemptions
    Does this mean if I have only passed 10/15 ACA exams by 31/12/2017 I will not get any CTA exemptions?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.