Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking about pursuing a career in law, I was wondering how hard it is to get a training contract if I go to universities such: UCL, KCL, Leeds or York.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Très difficile.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bkr32)
    I am thinking about pursuing a career in law, I was wondering how hard it is to get a training contract if I go to universities such: UCL, KCL, Leeds or York.
    Your chances will not be defined by the university you go to, but how well you do at that university and whether you build up the necessary evidence on your skill set and motivation on your CV. Some universities will support you better with that process than others though (although ultimately it is your responsibility, not theirs), but all those you have listed do a pretty good job in that respect.

It is a difficult career to get into, but by no means the most difficult by any means. Standards and expectations tend to be high, but each year over 5,500 people secure training contracts and many others go into other legal work.

ReputationRep:
    There are hundreds of law graduates being churned out by universities every year- most firms have limited training contracts which is why the competition is so high. It's hard but persistence is key. I didn't go to a Russell group university, in fact I studied drama and theatre at Goldsmiths college and got my BA before doing the law conversion at the University of Westminster. For me, I didn't want a london based career and opted for regional firms but the competition was still incredibly high. Instead, I got a paralegal job in my current firm before choosing to study the LPC part-time. Getting a paralegal role was equally difficult as most places want you to complete the LPC before hand or have a certain amount of years experience before they consider taking you on. But a year into my job I applied for a training contract, attended the assessment day and was offered the job for the 2018 intake. I've completed stage one of the LPC and I'm currently doing my electives on weekends. Giving up the time is also difficult but it's worthwhile to get me to where I need to be. It's never an easy journey whichever way you do it. I always thought my drama degree would hold me back but putting it plainly, it's competitive no matter what your background is. I hope this helps, and good luck!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.