Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I've just had my contraceptive implant taken out as it made me put on quite a bit of weight and now I'd like to lose it again.
    I don't understand why I'm not losing weight as I cycle an average of 3.5 hours a week, walk around 15k steps a day and swim for about 1.5 hours a week.

extra things:
    I'm a veggie if that changes anything and most of the weight I want to lose is on my legs/stomach
    I track my calories and I consume about 500 cal less than I burn

any tips/help would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rleah1998)
    Hi,
    I've just had my contraceptive implant taken out as it made me put on quite a bit of weight and now I'd like to lose it again.
    I don't understand why I'm not losing weight as I cycle an average of 3.5 hours a week, walk around 15k steps a day and swim for about 1.5 hours a week.

extra things:
    I'm a veggie if that changes anything and most of the weight I want to lose is on my legs/stomach

Sometimes you don’t think you’re losing weight but you actually are. Confide in a friend/co-worker and see what they say. Take pictures over time to see if you can inspect some changes. It can be a long process and it doesn’t just happen over night. Also, if you’re using a scale to weigh yourself, just because it’s the same weight doesn’t mean that it’s bad. You could be actually turning your fat into muscle, making you get skinner but still be the same weight.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

extra things:

you are losing weight if you're on a 500 calorie deficit. weight urself every couple of weeks you'll see the change, if a month down the line you're still the same then something your eating has A LOT more calories than you think.
    in my opinion a 500 calorie deficit is unhealthy, something around 200 is where you wanna be. slow but steady fat loss.
    make sure youre eating enough protein
    you'll reach your goal soon enough

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

extra things:

Excercise is great for health and fitness but it won't do much for weight loss. Cycling and swimming are good activities, but it's unlikely you'll be burning more than 600kcal/hour (and that's if you go quickly). Studies have shown that a lot of people subconsiously compensate for excercise by eating more. By all means keep doing it, but you need to look at diet as well.

If you're consuming 500kcal less than you use in a day, you should be losing about 1lb per week which is a good rate. However, calorie trackers and apps aren't perfect. Keep at it for a few weeks and see if you've lost weight. Perhaps you haven't been doing it for long enough to see results.

ReputationRep:
    It'll take a few months for the weight you gained to come off - after I came off the pill it took around 5 months for me to actually notice any weight loss at all - and then I lost a stone in about 8 weeks! Just eat a bit less, swap something you already eat for a lower calorie version, cut down on sugar and fats, eat lots of protein and keep exercising.

ReputationRep:
    Try to just eat clean, or maybe use myfitness pal and track your calories! Be sure to do it healthily though!

ReputationRep:
    Hey girl i get your pain i was exercising and tracking calories i didnt think i was losing any but then i weigh myself and my BMI was wrong i was so skinny my periods stop and that ant good so ima saying dont worry to much and be careful with calories, as i became obsessed. And regret losing the weight, so much. But i understand that you wanna like your self just be safe about it girl. Xx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.