Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I’m living in the UK and want to go to a Russel group university for medicine but I just don’t know how to choose which ones to apply to and which open days to go to bc obviously I can’t be running all over the country to visit 24 odd unis. What are your experiences and advice?

ReputationRep:
    All depends on your grades and stats, usually as medicine is so competitive you're better off applying to whichever unis that you best meet the requirements of rather than which unis are highest on league tables. Medicine is medicine so whichever uni you go to, you'll still be able to find a job whether it be Cambridge or Keele
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    you should probably first make a list of what universities meet your requirements, how close they are to home (or how far away depending on what you want), what makes them stand out etc. and use this list to pick the one you want best?? idk
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leverarch)
    So I’m living in the UK and want to go to a Russel group university for medicine but I just don’t know how to choose which ones to apply to and which open days to go to bc obviously I can’t be running all over the country to visit 24 odd unis. What are your experiences and advice?
    You need to apply smartly and tailor your application to the medical schools which are most likely to give you an offer. Think about the strengths and weaknesses of your application (things like GCSEs, UKCAT score, work experience, volunteering etc) and look specifically at medical schools which overlap with your strengths. For example, you should probably avoid GCSE-heavy medical schools if you didn't do 'well' in your GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leverarch)
    You need to look at the minimum entry requirements first. If you meet them, go to the next step and look at how they select applicants (e.g. might score GCSEs, score UKCAT/BMAT, personal statement etc) If you've got strong GCSEs but weak UKCAT then you'll need to apply to specific unis that are GCSE heavy, and vice versa. Once you have done your GCSEs, UKCAT and got your predicted grades, you can choose which universities you want to apply to based on your strengths.

It shouldn't matter whether the university is Russel Group or not. Wherever you go, you'll get the same qualification and you'll become a doctor. Foundation posts are blinded so they won't know what university you went to either. Medicine is highly competitive so you need to apply to your strengths, not based on a league table.

ReputationRep:
    There are no 'best' for Medicine - all Medical degrees in the UK are accredited by the GMC and they all qualify you as doctor as they all have to train you in the same stuff. Your future patients will never ask you where you trained - they just want to know that your are 'a doctor'.

So any choices are up to the individual - type of Uni/campus, where in the country, entry requirements, BMAT/UKCAT etc.

[Ps. its now too late to apply for 2018 entry - applications closed on Sunday]

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.