Turn on thread page Beta

Brexit poll shows rising number of people regret UK decision to leave EU watch

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a8000156.html

An increasing number of people believe voting to leave the European Union was a bad idea, according to a new poll.

It shows the highest proportion of people regretting the result since the referendum in June 2016, with 47 per cent of respondents saying it was wrong for the UK to vote Leave compared with 42 per cent who believe it was the right decision.

The YouGov poll has been seized on by a number of Labour MPs who claim it suggests public opinion is turning against Brexit. The survey found almost two-thirds of the public think Brexit negotiations are going badly, compared with just over a third in March this year.

The findings come days after Theresa May refused to say whether she would vote for Brexit if another referendum was held immediately, telling listeners of an LBC radio phone-in on Thursday that she would have to “weigh up the evidence”.

In a speech on Saturday Jeremy Corbyn is due to warn that Theresa May is “failing Britain” in the Brexit negotiations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninja Squirrel)

An increasing number of people believe voting to leave the European Union was a bad idea, according to a new poll.

It shows the highest proportion of people regretting the result since the referendum in June 2016, with 47 per cent of respondents saying it was wrong for the UK to vote Leave compared with 42 per cent who believe it was the right decision.

The YouGov poll has been seized on by a number of Labour MPs who claim it suggests public opinion is turning against Brexit. The survey found almost two-thirds of the public think Brexit negotiations are going badly, compared with just over a third in March this year.

The findings come days after Theresa May refused to say whether she would vote for Brexit if another referendum was held immediately, telling listeners of an LBC radio phone-in on Thursday that she would have to “weigh up the evidence”.

In a speech on Saturday Jeremy Corbyn is due to warn that Theresa May is “failing Britain” in the Brexit negotiations.
    no ****

ReputationRep:
    I think there should be a second and third referendum, best of two wins, it's the most logical solution.

ReputationRep:
    You love the same EU who calls Catalan's vote for independence illegal?

ReputationRep:
    So 53% still want to leave or don't care either way?

ReputationRep:
    Ezisola - "47 percent" and "42 percent"...add together and 100 - ans is???

z

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh the same polls that predicted the referendum results? Thanks for the info

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sulaimanali)
    Ezisola - "47 percent" and "42 percent"...add together and 100 - ans is???
    z
    ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninja Squirrel)

I remember similar polling showing that Remain would win, Trump would lose, Cameron wouldn't form a majority and that May would thump Corbyn. I'm starting to wonder if pollsters have a vested interest...

ReputationRep:
    It's not what I see when I speak with people. Although what I do mostly see is people have just become more divided in both directions. Whether that would sway the vote is another thing.

UKIP has fallen from grace a little, and their influence in politics is decreasing since the Brexit vote. Seeing that they were a very major factor in swaying the vote towards Brexit... a referendum now might indicate a preference to remain in the EU.

On the other hand, it might just mobilize UKIP into action all over again, which I think is more likely. Anne Marrie Waters has also broken off from UKIP and set up her own party, which I imagine would benefit a lot from the publicity a 2nd referendum would generate.

Frankly it's impossible to predict. The vote was very close in the first place, so most predictions were going to be based of individual or group-biases in favor of leave or remain... which I think will still be the case the 2nd and 3rd times.

We also don't know what Europe will do in the meantime either, and if Merkel chooses to let another 2 million non-EU migrants into the continent... which I think would tilt the vote back in favor of Brexit. I think it would do much worse than that in fact. Italy had started getting restless as well as Hungary will all the induced social problems of this crisis. And other countries. Germany itself even. It would be a colossally stupid move at this point in time.

If Trump in America screws up and gets impeached, I think it would favor the UK staying in the EU.

If Poland leaves or gets kicked out (very unlikely lol), then I think it would favor the UK staying... although on the other hand if the UK chooses to grant existing Polish people in the UK citizenship, their sheer numbers and voting power in opposition to the EU in such a scenario would wreck any reliable predictions. But this is a bit far out anyway. I think it's more likely North Korea will fire a nuke at someone.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.