Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I applied for Tesco Festive colleague online a week ago and I have an interview on wednesday. I'm at college at the moment so I need to be able to work around my college hours. I've never had a job before so its been so difficult to get interviews because I get overlooked for lack of retail experience so i don't have much interview practice and I'm really worried about this interview. I've been reading up and realised it's most likely to be a group interview which i'm nervous about- im generally okay 1-1 but speaking in front of a group can be daunting to me so I want to be as prepared as possible. Has anyone been through this interview and knows/ remembers specific questions they were asked because I want to prepare some answers beforehand. And any other advice would be really great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmacassie)
    I applied for Tesco Festive colleague online a week ago and I have an interview on wednesday. I'm at college at the moment so I need to be able to work around my college hours. I've never had a job before so its been so difficult to get interviews because I get overlooked for lack of retail experience so i don't have much interview practice and I'm really worried about this interview. I've been reading up and realised it's most likely to be a group interview which i'm nervous about- im generally okay 1-1 but speaking in front of a group can be daunting to me so I want to be as prepared as possible. Has anyone been through this interview and knows/ remembers specific questions they were asked because I want to prepare some answers beforehand. And any other advice would be really great.
    wish I saw this earlier but how did the interview go ?!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    How did it go? I've got this interview tomorrow and i'm nervous as hell because people in my sixth form are also applying and they have experience and are way more outgoing compared to me. I have social anxiety and im really pushing myself here in hopes of overcoming it. I've never had a job before either. What did they ask you?

ReputationRep:
    How was it? Was it a group interview and what questions did they ask?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnC12321)
    How was it? Was it a group interview and what questions did they ask?
    Hi, I had my interview on Saturday the 21st. It was a group interview with 10 of us led by 3 managers. I was really nervous but there was no need to be, it was a really relaxed environment. There were no questions asked to us. Firstly we went into the training room and sat on two tables. These two tables were the two groups. Our first task was to build the tallest tower using papers, tape and straws within 20 minutes. It had to include a flag too. My team didn't listen to me as the oldest guy decided to ignore everyone's ideas and he built it wider rather than higher but i'm pretty sure a manager heard me giving the correct ideas (As i had researched this before going into the interview and watched a few videos on it). After that was done, the managers then checked our right to work documents and handed us availability forms which was basically a big table. Across the top was sun-sat and down the side were the times, all you had to do was tick the hours you could work. (Remember they don't give you all these hours, it's better to make yourself as available as possible for the higher chance of being hired). The second sheet involved a list of psychical and mental health issues which you had to tick yes or no as to whether you had them or not. Then the final sheet was a health and safety contract thing which you had to read and then sign. We then had 20 minutes to plan a presentation on "Service". We were a group of six, so we split it up into pairs and each pair came up with a subtitle. What is service, Good Service and Bad service. My pair ended the presentation with 'bad service', I ended it by stating (not as well written as this because i panicked) "By giving bad service it would affect the customers' views on the store. They wouldn't want to return to the store again. The customers are everything, if you lose customers you lose profit, if you lose profit then it affects your business. If you don't have customers then you don't have a business." and my partner said something like "The customer is everything" to end it off. Then the other group did their presentation, then it ended with the manager asking if anyone had any questions. The whole process took about an hour and a half. I was expecting 1-1 interviews afterwards but that wasn't the case.
    Today, i received an email offering me a job!! So did my partner in the presentation!

Remember to make eye contact with the managers if you have to present and just make sure you're really contributing to the team works. That's what they're looking for.

I hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cats-In-Space)
    Hi, I had my interview on Saturday the 21st. It was a group interview with 10 of us led by 3 managers. I was really nervous but there was no need to be, it was a really relaxed environment. There were no questions asked to us. Firstly we went into the training room and sat on two tables. These two tables were the two groups. Our first task was to build the tallest tower using papers, tape and straws within 20 minutes. It had to include a flag too. My team didn't listen to me as the oldest guy decided to ignore everyone's ideas and he built it wider rather than higher but i'm pretty sure a manager heard me giving the correct ideas (As i had researched this before going into the interview and watched a few videos on it). After that was done, the managers then checked our right to work documents and handed us availability forms which was basically a big table. Across the top was sun-sat and down the side were the times, all you had to do was tick the hours you could work. (Remember they don't give you all these hours, it's better to make yourself as available as possible for the higher chance of being hired). The second sheet involved a list of psychical and mental health issues which you had to tick yes or no as to whether you had them or not. Then the final sheet was a health and safety contract thing which you had to read and then sign. We then had 20 minutes to plan a presentation on "Service". We were a group of six, so we split it up into pairs and each pair came up with a subtitle. What is service, Good Service and Bad service. My pair ended the presentation with 'bad service', I ended it by stating (not as well written as this because i panicked) "By giving bad service it would affect the customers' views on the store. They wouldn't want to return to the store again. The customers are everything, if you lose customers you lose profit, if you lose profit then it affects your business. If you don't have customers then you don't have a business." and my partner said something like "The customer is everything" to end it off. Then the other group did their presentation, then it ended with the manager asking if anyone had any questions. The whole process took about an hour and a half. I was expecting 1-1 interviews afterwards but that wasn't the case.
    Today, i received an email offering me a job!! So did my partner in the presentation!

Remember to make eye contact with the managers if you have to present and just make sure you're really contributing to the team works. That's what they're looking for.

I hope this helps
    Thanks for the detailed info, much appreciated.

Could you link the video(s) that you watched, please and did you not get asked any sort of interview question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ze Witcher)
    Thanks for the detailed info, much appreciated.

Could you link the video(s) that you watched, please and did you not get asked any sort of interview question?

Hiya, honestly just google 6ft freestanding paper tower and you'll find loads i promise. And nope, there were no questions asked to us at all. Just make sure you're polite, make eye contact and you do get involved and speak up as much as possible, as long as you're not over-speaking anyone. Just be yourself and you'll be fine
    When's your interview?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.