Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Don't know if this is the right place to ask this. If not, sorry.

I'm applying for Computer Science and am a bit confused with the 'options within the course' question.
    It's currently giving me 4 options to choose from: CompSci(75% option), CompSci with Mathematics, CompSci with Natural Sciences and CompSci with Social Psychology.
    I just wanted to clear some stuff up.

First of all, do these options only affect the papers you take at the end of the first year of studying Computer Science?
    Secondly, what is the CompSci(75% option)?
    Lastly, I'm guessing each option has different entry requirements depending on what you choose?

Thanks for the help
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wubbs)

I'm applying for Computer Science and am a bit confused with the 'options within the course' question.
    It's currently giving me 4 options to choose from: CompSci(75% option), CompSci with Mathematics, CompSci with Natural Sciences and CompSci with Social Psychology.

First of all, do these options only affect the papers you take at the end of the first year of studying Computer Science?
    Lastly, I'm guessing each option has different entry requirements depending on what you choose?

Thanks for the help
    Hiya:hi:

This sounds like it's asking you about whether you're doing a joint/combined honours course or not.:yep:

If there is no option for simply compsci then my inclination would be that ComSci (75% option) is for the course where 75% of your degree was to be with CompSci stuff but the rest can be taken up by electives or languages or something. Not that I'm an expert.

Entry requirements largely shouldn't changes as far as grades go.:nah: The Maths course for instance would (I imagine) have an A Level Maths requirement though.:yes:

Don't worry about this being in the wrong forum. I've request it is moved to the Cambridge forum where someone more knowledgeable than me can assist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wubbs)

Thanks for the help
    For Computer Science, everyone takes 4 papers in the first year. Between 2 and 3 of these papers are Computer Science, the other 1 or 2 papers are what you're deciding here.

The 75% option is taking 3 CS papers in the first year, and the 4th is a mathematics paper (the same maths paper that people doing natural sciences take).

CompSci with Mathematics is taking 2 CS papers and 2 maths papers (half of the maths papers a maths student would take in the first year). Most colleges will ask for you to do STEP papers as part of your offer for this option, but let you do one of the other CompSci options if you miss the STEP part of your offer.

CompSci with Natural Sciences is doing 2 CS papers, 1 maths paper (the natural sciences maths paper), and 1 natural sciences paper (e.g. Physics). This option will require A Levels in the relevant science for the natural sciences option.

CompSci with Social Psychology is doing 2 CS papers, 1 maths paper (NatSci maths paper) and 1 Psychology paper. I don't believe there are any other A Level requirements for this.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wubbs)

Thanks for the help
    It's all spelled out in the entrance requirements
    https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....course-outline

Only the "with Maths" generally has a specific requirement (i.e. STEP), but double check individual colleges if necessary.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.