Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how long until I get bigger arms Watch

I'm 16 and once I get a job I will be joining the gym, sticking by a protein diet and will take creatine and whey etc.

my natural build is skinny, my older brother is not skinny but isn't fat but that was always his natural build and he's been at the gym for a few years now and has big arms (not big giant muscly arms, they are just bigger) whereas mine are really skinny.

I have no muscle at all, my ten year old sister is stronger than me which is making me self conscious and embarrassed, I really don't like it.

I want to get a better strength and bigger arms in appearance, I know that to look like some giant body builder would take years but how long would it take for mine to look a bit bigger and less skinny?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your genetics. Some muscle groups tend to respond better to training than other groups in many people. For example, I gained 2-3 inches in my arm circumference within the first 6 months of training, whereas areas like my chest and back took a lot more time to respond; whereas, I know guys who took a couple of years to add a couple of inches to their arms but their chests really thickened up within 6 months. All you can do is train hard, eat to grow, be consistent and over time your physique will change, it'll just take some people longer than others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm 16 and once I get a job I will be joining the gym, sticking by a protein diet and will take creatine and whey etc.

my natural build is skinny, my older brother is not skinny but isn't fat but that was always his natural build and he's been at the gym for a few years now and has big arms (not big giant muscly arms, they are just bigger) whereas mine are really skinny.

I have no muscle at all, my ten year old sister is stronger than me which is making me self conscious and embarrassed, I really don't like it.

I want to get a better strength and bigger arms in appearance, I know that to look like some giant body builder would take years but how long would it take for mine to look a bit bigger and less skinny?
    you'll notice gains in the first six months for sure-especially with the diet and going often enough.
    in the grand scheme of things your arms will still be small but take advantage of the wave of confidence you'll have for a while- before you realise you're still a stick and need to get bigger-the day you join the gym is the day you're always small
    that's the grind of the gym anyways
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    All depends on your diet and workout. I do calisthenics and I can tell you that my chest and shoulders responded much better to me working out than my arms. My arms are still not that big neither are my legs. However, I have gained strength in my entire body. All you need to do is focus on your diet and train properly. Get plenty of rest in between. Also stretching before and after workouts is key so make sure to do that and you will be on the right path.

I really need to get a meal planner. i dont want to be making the same meals every single day. i take it weetabix/porridge would be ok for breakfast?

How often and when do you take creatine and whey? And do you take them at the same time or only take one of the two in one day?

(Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
    Depends on your genetics. Some muscle groups tend to respond better to training than other groups in many people. For example, I gained 2-3 inches in my arm circumference within the first 6 months of training, whereas areas like my chest and back took a lot more time to respond; whereas, I know guys who took a couple of years to add a couple of inches to their arms but their chests really thickened up within 6 months. All you can do is train hard, eat to grow, be consistent and over time your physique will change, it'll just take some people longer than others.
    I'm kinda embarrassed going to the gym with such skinny arms, I know that's the whole point in going but everyone else there will have big/muscly arms then there will be me with skinny arms looking like im 10 again

ReputationRep:
    i wouldn't advise you to take creatine at your age, just stick to natural protein sources through your diet. Work on your core as well as your arms

ReputationRep:
    I'm kinda embarrassed going to the gym with such skinny arms, I know that's the whole point in going but everyone else there will have big/muscly arms then there will be me with skinny arms looking like im 10 again
    No one is going to give a s***, you'll be fine - that's a major reason for going to the gym anyway.

Just don't be one of those people who thinks they can lift 50kg just for curls and has an atrocious form.

ReputationRep:
    No they won't. Especially not if you go to a fitness chain gym. I'd say at least have the people that go to these kinds of places have no muscle mass to speak of and the ones that do, are there to train. They won't be paying you any mind.

ReputationRep:
    When you start eating spinach

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 14, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.