Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I didn't do A level maths, can I still get into Dentistry Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am currently studying Chemistry, a Biology and History as well as an EPQ for A levels. I'm in y12 and got 10A*s, 2As and a B (in further maths) at GCSE. I appreciate that most of the university entry requirements say that you only need Biology and Chemistry plus any other subject, but I also know how competitive dentistry can be. I would really like to go to Newcastle and I am currently doing work experience once every two weeks hopefully for the next year, and plan to do lots of volunteering etc. Should I be worried that I don't have Maths at A level, or will it not affect my application?

ReputationRep:
    Nah maths isn't necessary at all, even biology isn't funnily enough! As long as you get the grades you will be fine!!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    It shouldn't affect your application as long as you get predicted and achieve the minimum entry requirements. My brother is doing dentistry at university and he studied Biology, Chemistry and Russian at A level, so the 3rd subject doesn't matter to most universities

ReputationRep:
    I get that Newcastle is where you really want to go but, you have four other uni's that you need to put on your application! On average, they want you to have studied biology, chemistry and physics OR maths. However, some universities like English (similar to history), and others may look at your UKCAT score above everything. You just need to be sure of your priorities, but i personally wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket by not taking the average A levels required. But move on from that because you've already made that decision, so focus on getting the grades, and make you taking history a big deal on your personal statement, say what skills you learnt and possibly why it makes you a unique candidate. Be aware that universities picking their students is always a ranking process, and they set these required subjects to help you adjust to their course easier, so maybe research some correlations lool. Do you have any other universities in mind? Just do primary/secondary research because the universities are soo open, they're not there to trick you, so if you call them and they say you still have an equal chance, you still have an equal chance!
    In regards to WEX, just do as much as required, there's no need to go overboard unless you are still not sure about dentistry, or it's not teaching you enough about the proffesion. Your personal statement should be weighted with more of what you learnt as opposed to the quantity of what you did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aknwsfg)
    I get that Newcastle is where you really want to go but, you have four other uni's that you need to put on your application! On average, they want you to have studied biology, chemistry and physics OR maths. However, some universities like English (similar to history), and others may look at your UKCAT score above everything. You just need to be sure of your priorities, but i personally wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket by not taking the average A levels required. But move on from that because you've already made that decision, so focus on getting the grades, and make you taking history a big deal on your personal statement, say what skills you learnt and possibly why it makes you a unique candidate. Be aware that universities picking their students is always a ranking process, and they set these required subjects to help you adjust to their course easier, so maybe research some correlations lool. Do you have any other universities in mind? Just do primary/secondary research because the universities are soo open, they're not there to trick you, so if you call them and they say you still have an equal chance, you still have an equal chance!
    In regards to WEX, just do as much as required, there's no need to go overboard unless you are still not sure about dentistry, or it's not teaching you enough about the proffesion. Your personal statement should be weighted with more of what you learnt as opposed to the quantity of what you did.
    Thank you for taking the time to reply! I'm also thinking about Leeds and I think I would probably apply to Manchester as well, I don't really want to move too far away from home haha. I might phone some universities and see what they say, and maybe speak to some of the dentists when I next go for work experience. Thanks for letting me know about the work experience thing, I guess I just presumed the more the better haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurenspence7)
    Thank you for taking the time to reply! I'm also thinking about Leeds and I think I would probably apply to Manchester as well, I don't really want to move too far away from home haha. I might phone some universities and see what they say, and maybe speak to some of the dentists when I next go for work experience. Thanks for letting me know about the work experience thing, I guess I just presumed the more the better haha.
    O np. I just realised that my 'eggs in one basket' theory sounded really dramatic lmao, because it's great that you're actually taking biology and chemistry or you might've had to do dentistry with a preliminary year! Honestly, i think you're fine+ Yes, i mentioned the WEX thing because i was speaking to a student at Kings who said Universities are extremely aware that dentistry WEX especially is getting harder to get because of this new insurance policy thing, so they'll really be pleased if you even get in two weeks!
    Good luck, i wish you the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aknwsfg)
    O np. I just realised that my 'eggs in one basket' theory sounded really dramatic lmao, because it's great that you're actually taking biology and chemistry or you might've had to do dentistry with a preliminary year! Honestly, i think you're fine+ Yes, i mentioned the WEX thing because i was speaking to a student at Kings who said Universities are extremely aware that dentistry WEX especially is getting harder to get because of this new insurance policy thing, so they'll really be pleased if you even get in two weeks!
    Good luck, i wish you the best.
    Thank you! I have family connections with a dental practice so they're letting me do some work experience which I'm really thankful for

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.