Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tutoring anxiety Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I did pretty crap in my chem AS (D) , so my parents found a Tutoring place for me.
    I was hoping it would be just me, but unfortunately there will be another person there too.
    My only previous experience with a tutor when I was 10 wasn't good at all. I feared going to that lesson every week for a year and a half. Whenever I couldn't compete any homework he gave ( which was a lot!) Or made a mistake he would usually give me options along the lines of : 50 punches, 50 pinches, or 50 extra homework sheets.
    I, obviously chose the homework sheets in fear of him hurting me ( which I now realise he wasn't actually going to do).
    My first Tutoring session is next week, and boi my anxiety levels are so freaking high right now. *cry*
    Any advice?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lia22)
    So I did pretty crap in my chem AS (D) , so my parents found a Tutoring place for me.
    I was hoping it would be just me, but unfortunately there will be another person there too.
    My only previous experience with a tutor when I was 10 wasn't good at all. I feared going to that lesson every week for a year and a half. Whenever I couldn't compete any homework he gave ( which was a lot!) Or made a mistake he would usually give me options along the lines of : 50 punches, 50 pinches, or 50 extra homework sheets.
    I, obviously chose the homework sheets in fear of him hurting me ( which I now realise he wasn't actually going to do).
    My first Tutoring session is next week, and boi my anxiety levels are so feeling high right now. *cry*
    Any advice?
    If you're being serious about that tutor then you were exceptionally unlucky and I'm not a lawyer but I wouldn't be surprised if that threat was illegal. A tutor is just a teacher who works with you outside of school, they're there to help you, not to terrorise you. Most tutors will be very nice. If for whatever reason you end up with a tutor who isn't behaving appropriately then tell your parents and stop attending lessons but that is very unlikely. Just think of the session as a normal lesson where the teacher is able to tailor lessons to what you need.

ReputationRep:
    Are you seeing a counsellor for you anxiety? If not I recommend it, I've been in counselling on and off for the past three years and it's helped a lot. Maybe see if your college has counsellors you could visit, or go to your local doctors surgery and ask if they have someone you could see.

Maybe you could speak to your tutor about how you feel? I'm sure they'd understand and take it into account when teaching you. Also, since you're older, they'll respect you a lot more and they won't punish you if you do stuff wrong or slack off. Being with another person will help too as you'll be in the same boat.

You should go and keep in mind that you're gonna prove your anxious feelings wrong, and that it's going to make you stronger and more tolerant. Once you start facing your fears and realising you can handle feeling anxious, it gets a lot easier to manage. You can do the hard stuff, it sucks, but you can do it.

If its any consolation, I had a maths tutor for my GCSE's and she was really cool, like we always had a laugh and she brought my mum plants from her garden and was generally just a nice lady. Remember that your past experience with tutors isn't the norm for how they all are, a lot of them are nice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lia22)
    My first Tutoring session is next week, and boi my anxiety levels are so freaking high right now. *cry*
    Any advice?
    That sounds like a horrendous experience and you have my sympathy for being subjected to it.

In my years of tutoring I have never heard from parents or students of anything like this from a tutor. I believe you have been very unlucky and will not have have such an experience again. As there is someone else going to be there too, there would be a witness to any inappropriate behaviour.
    It's natural to worry after a bad experience but I am sure it will be a more human approach from someone who wants to help you learn without fear.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TutorsChemistry)
    That sounds like a horrendous experience and you have my sympathy for being subjected to it.

In my years of tutoring I have never heard from parents or students of anything like this from a tutor. I believe you have been very unlucky and will not have have such an experience again. As there is someone else going to be there too, there would be a witness to any inappropriate behaviour.
    It's natural to worry after a bad experience but I am sure it will be a more human approach from someone who wants to help you learn without fear.
    It would be interesting to know the OP's home country.

In my experience with Indian students most were physically abused at some stage during their education. I had one student who was terrified to present homework because he thought I would punch him if something was missing. He was seriously relieved to find out that the contempòrary European philosophy does not engage with beatings..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.