Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do these three a levels subjects offer me different career choices at uni? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I’m thinking about choosing 3 different subjects for a levels to give me the chance of having different career choices at uni. Would psychology: help me study law or psychology at uni?, biology : something in health and maths: engineering or accounting .
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Cherrycheryl)
    I’m thinking about choosing 3 different subjects for a levels to give me the chance of having different career choices at uni. Would psychology: help me study law or psychology at uni?, biology : something in health and maths: engineering or accounting .
    It makes no difference to Law, its acceptable but they are more interested in the grade.

Its ok for psychology , but they tend to be more interested in maths in the event they express a preference.
    1. Law no real preference just grades.

2. For Engineering, then Maths is your key one for the other subjects. They might also ask for Physics.

https://university.which.co.uk/advic...me-an-engineer

3. Maths for Accountancy.if they express any preference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherrycheryl)
    It's a tough one, physics would be very useful for engineering and psychology wouldn't be required for anything but then you have three full science subjects which isn't ideal for law.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The short answer: no.

Law and Psychology have no specific requirements. Engineering virtually always requires Physics, and usually prefers a third STEM subject if possible (Further Maths being the ideal outside of some specific disciplines like Chemical, Materials, Biomedical etc).

Physics, Chemistry, Maths, and Further Maths would allow you to pursue any engineering or Physics course, any Maths or CS course, any Chemistry course, many Medicine and a few Bioscience courses. It would also be suitable for anything with no specific subject requirements, including Psychology or Law.

Students often think taking a "split portfolio" adds flexibility but in reality it usually just limits you in the STEM subjects and is no better for others.

ReputationRep:
    Psychology is good as not only is it good for law/psychology degree, but most unis except it as a life science, so it saves you going through the torture of Biology or Chemistry (BTW it’s horrendous!)
    Maths is also good as it is multi usable for engineering, teaching, physics, so it’s also ideal.
    But also choose something you’ll enjoy, as you’ll spend two years doing it, and you’re more likely to get a higher grade doing something you’ll enjoy!
    If not you can’t go wrong with English, that can go with anything really!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meggy99)
    Psychology is good as not only is it good for law/psychology degree, but most unis except it as a life science, so it saves you going through the torture of Biology or Chemistry (BTW it’s horrendous!)
    Maths is also good as it is multi usable for engineering, teaching, physics, so it’s also ideal.
    But also choose something you’ll enjoy, as you’ll spend two years doing it, and you’re more likely to get a higher grade doing something you’ll enjoy!
    If not you can’t go wrong with English, that can go with anything really!
    Very few universities accept Psychology as a science by itself, and of those that do it is never acceptable in lieu of Biology and/or Chemistry where those are required. It's misleading to suggest otherwise.

It is perfectly acceptable for continuing to either of those subjects, as any other academic A-level. The advice about choosing what you enjoy is also worth considering, since if you hate sciences and maths, you are just going to hate it at degree level as well most likely - thus there is no benefit to taking those to keep those course options open.

ReputationRep:
    I think artful_lounger is right. If you’re genuinely considering engineering then you really should take maths and physics and further maths is useful, though mostly not required. If you’re interested in something medical, then chemistry and maths would be helpful as well as biology. I think your best bet is to consider whether you can genuinely see yourself doing a heavy science degree (and what type of science degree this would be) and go from there. If not then it doesn’t matter so much what you choose.
    - Maths would probably be useful for accounting/finance/business. If you wanted to do economics then maths is normally required, and fm and/or economics would be useful at the very top universities though not required.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.