The Student Room Group

Is there any difference in competitiveness between two joint courses?

For example Edinburgh offers these joint courses: Law & IR and Law & Social Anthropology. I used to think that the second is less competitive but given the very little difference between the two, would one being less popular change anything? Do universities have specific number of spots for each course

I am not exactly sure how to phrase that question but hope it's understandable.
Original post by goonhoon
For example Edinburgh offers these joint courses: Law & IR and Law & Social Anthropology. I used to think that the second is less competitive but given the very little difference between the two, would one being less popular change anything? Do universities have specific number of spots for each course

I am not exactly sure how to phrase that question but hope it's understandable.
It depends on the university the way that they allocate places. Newcastle don't have a cap on combined honours places (to my knowledge) and Edinburgh may run something similar, or different.

They might operate a system where both departments have to accept your application, meaning that there needs to be half a full students place available in both departments for you to be accepted.

Alternatively, they could operate a similar system to some Durham courses where one subject administers the joint course, and you are put through their application process.:smile:

Don't make your application decisions based on how likely you are to get an offer, base it on the course you wish to study which (in my opinion) should be derived from your career plan.:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending