The Student Room Group

Tax credits and maintenance loan

Hi,

I started uni last month and had read up a lot before and was sure I read that maintenance loan wasn't counted as income for tax credits. I've now read that it is and I'm panicking slightly. I receive child tax credits, do I need to declare my maintenance loan and child maintenance grant to HMRC?

Thanks!
Original post by missy0817
Hi,

I started uni last month and had read up a lot before and was sure I read that maintenance loan wasn't counted as income for tax credits. I've now read that it is and I'm panicking slightly. I receive child tax credits, do I need to declare my maintenance loan and child maintenance grant to HMRC?

Thanks!

I think it has no affect on tax credits but does on every other benefit.
Reply 2
Thank you!!
Original post by missy0817
Hi,

Thanks!

Hi missy0817,

Benefits for students depend on your personal circumstances such as your income and any savings you may have. Your benefits may stop if the income you get through student finance is too high.

The Job Centre Plus (JCP) will take into account any loans and grants, both undergraduate and postgraduate, when calculating your entitlement to benefits. Most full-time students can't claim income related benefits but you may be able to claim if you:

are a single parent

have a partner who is also a student - and one or both of you are responsible for a child

have a disability, and qualify for the disability premium or income related Employment and Support Allowance

If you have a partner who is not a student and they're eligible for any income related benefits, your partner can claim on behalf of you both. The only grant that students are obliged to provide details of is Adult Dependents' Grant (ADG), as it is considered a declarable income for the purposes of Income-Related Benefits and Tax Credits. Certain types of benefits may be affected by an applicant being entitled to ADG. Part time students can apply for income related benefits if they're on a low income and meet certain conditions. You should ask your Jobcentre Plus or your local authority's Housing Benefit section how this will specifically affect your benefits. More information can be obtained from www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators or contact HMRC.I hope this helps.Thanks Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending