Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I sent in my application today and on track the PS paragraphing is messed up.

I was wondering whether the universities see the PS as structured in my application or the formatting is changed as the form is passed on.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Ahad27)
    Hi!

I sent in my application today and on track the PS paragraphing is messed up.

I was wondering whether the universities see the PS as structured in my application or the formatting is changed as the form is passed on.
    Are you referring to the paragraphs/spaces?

Universities should see your statement pretty much as you've written it. Any kind of formatting gets removed anyway so it's difficult to see how it could be changed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Are you referring to the paragraphs/spaces?

Universities should see your statement pretty much as you've written it. Any kind of formatting gets removed anyway so it's difficult to see how it could be changed.
    Yes,
    the PS structure looked as I wanted it to on the UCAS form. E.g. without sentences starting with one word in the line above.

On track the PS is squashed (53 lines) and there are some awkward looking paragraphs now.

I was wondering if the uni get the 45/46 lined PS or there is a chance the ones their receive may have a different number of lines, changing the structure.

I pressed 'enter' in some places where a new thought started and did not put it at every new paragraph (e.g where a normal space achieved the same objective.). Consider a space only takes one character, while pressing 'enter' uses two characters.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Yes,
    the PS structure looked as I wanted it to on the UCAS form. E.g. without sentences starting with one word in the line above.

On track the PS is squashed (53 lines) and there are some awkward looking paragraphs now.

I was wondering if the uni get the 45/46 lined PS or there is a chance the ones their receive may have a different number of lines, changing the structure.

I pressed 'enter' in some places where a new thought started and did not put it at every new paragraph (e.g where a normal space achieved the same objective.). Consider a space only takes one character, while pressing 'enter' uses two characters.
    The universities gets whatever you submit onto UCAS and how it looks on the UCAS application form as far as I'm aware.

I've heard of a couple of unis who choose to remove all spaces on receiving a PS, but most don't.

ReputationRep:
    The universities gets whatever you submit onto UCAS and how it looks on the UCAS application form as far as I'm aware.

I've heard of a couple of unis who choose to remove all spaces on receiving a PS, but most don't.
    That is very reassuring! Thank you so much for replying.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    That is very reassuring! Thank you so much for replying.
    Not a problem:hat2:

Because tomorrow is the Oxbridge and Medicine deadline, I am keeping an eye around here.:ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Not a problem:hat2:

Because tomorrow is the Oxbridge and Medicine deadline, I am keeping an eye around here.:ninja:
    I'm sure you have prevented some people from having heart attacks. The whole process is so stressing, it is always good to have people like you supporting us!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    I'm sure you have prevented some people from having heart attacks. The whole process is so stressing, it is always good to have people like you supporting us!

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.