Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    anyone know any good places to call up/email?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mez_merising)
    A lot of hospitals etc. won't take you before you're 16, although you can always ask your local one(s)
    If people on here know anywhere, chances are it won't be near you though (definitely not suggesting you share your location).
    For now, see if you can find anywhere such as a care home which would take you on and then once you turn 16 you can concentrate on more clinical work experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemur14)
    A lot of hospitals etc. won't take you before you're 16, although you can always ask your local one(s)
    If people on here know anywhere, chances are it won't be near you though (definitely not suggesting you share your location).
    For now, see if you can find anywhere such as a care home which would take you on and then once you turn 16 you can concentrate on more clinical work experience.
    cool, thanks for letting me know!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    cool, thanks for letting me know!
    No problem

ReputationRep:
    you can volunteer at a carehome or a chemist

ReputationRep:
    This is the time where you should start looking at caring areas such as carehomes etc - just try and see if you like medicine.

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't worry about work experience until sixth form, seeing as most hospitals will have a minimum age requirement of 16+. It would be valuable to find some volunteering - some possible places are a care home, special school, nursery, anywhere which you can gain experience in a caring role. If you continue this the end of A levels then it'll demonstrate commitment. When you start your AS year, start contacting hospitals or GPs to see if you can get any experience. It doesn't matter if you don't, most of the medical schools won't have any work experience requirements, they just want to see you have experience caring for the disadvantaged.

ReputationRep:
    Local gp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khookie)
    You shouldn't worry about work experience until sixth form, seeing as most hospitals will have a minimum age requirement of 16+. It would be valuable to find some volunteering - some possible places are a care home, special school, nursery, anywhere which you can gain experience in a caring role. If you continue this the end of A levels then it'll demonstrate commitment. When you start your AS year, start contacting hospitals or GPs to see if you can get any experience. It doesn't matter if you don't, most of the medical schools won't have any work experience requirements, they just want to see you have experience caring for the disadvantaged.
    thank you so much!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laboromniavincit)
    Local gp
    thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Most have a minimum requirement of 16+ but in my work experience last year, I applied to a dentist and pharmacy (got the pharmacy job) and just work shadowed for a while lol.

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much!!
    No problem! Wish you all the best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_miah)
    Most have a minimum requirement of 16+ but in my work experience last year, I applied to a dentist and pharmacy (got the pharmacy job) and just work shadowed for a while lol.
    what did you do in the pharmacy?

ReputationRep:
    what did you do in the pharmacy?
    You see, I worked in a Pharmacy that runs a bit different to your typical walk in one. Ours worked over internet and provided monthly/weekly prescriptions foir those people who needed it. So for example, if NHS would diagnose someone with asthma, and say they needed a new inhaler every month, the pharmacy would deliver a new inhaler every single month for that person until the (compulsory) prescription was cancelled.

But anyway, I work shadowed, separated pills into their following boxes and separated them into a system/timetable for certain people, check if the prescribed pills/medicine for the consumers were correct, sorted out boxes into shelves and other typical manual stuff. The pharmacy also had an eBay store, so I had to pack certain medicines into packages etc, total up costs and stuff. I also went out with the delivery guy and delivered packages/prescriptions to the customers.

ReputationRep:
    When I was in year 10 I did work experience at a local GP surgery You could try somewhere like that or like a local pharmacy?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.