Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been given a question on radioactive decay for uni and I have no clue how to do it! Any help would be greatly appreciated.In the equation for radioactive decay, Nt/N0 = e^-kt where N0 = starting amount of radio activity (at t =0) , Nt = radioactivity at time t, and k is a constant to each particular radioactive isotope.A radio active isotope decays to 50% of it initial radioactivity in 37.35 hours. Calculate the value of k for this isotope. I am really stuck and can’t seem to work it out any help is hugely appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhockeymorley317)
    I have been given a question on radioactive decay for uni and I have no clue how to do it! Any help would be greatly appreciated.In the equation for radioactive decay, Nt/N0 = e^-kt where N0 = starting amount of radio activity (at t =0) , Nt = radioactivity at time t, and k is a constant to each particular radioactive isotope.A radio active isotope decays to 50% of it initial radioactivity in 37.35 hours. Calculate the value of k for this isotope. I am really stuck and can’t seem to work it out any help is hugely appreciated
    I'm assuming t is taken in hours, so t=37.35. We know that N_t is half N_0, so how can we set up an equation to be solved?

ReputationRep:
    why are you stuck , doesn't what you said in the title pretty much solve it ? isn't it easy if you use ln ?

ReputationRep:
    I have to find k, I don’t understand how to solve the equation to find k?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhockeymorley317)
    u know the half life so u can use the half life equation to find the constant value.
    half life=ln2/k
    that's what I would do-if the question is more than two marks then that's not the way

ReputationRep:
    isn't this correct ?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndreiMiron)
    x
    Best not to post full solutions We prefer to give the OP hints towards the correct solution, with full solutions you run the risk of the OP copying the answer without understanding how it was reached. You might be interested in checking out the posting guidelines

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Best not to post full solutions We prefer to give the OP hints towards the correct solution, with full solutions you run the risk of the OP copying the answer without understanding how it was reached. You might be interested in checking out the posting guidelines
    Didn't know about that I am new on this forum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndreiMiron)
    Didn't know about that I am new on this forum
    No worries

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.