Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to get extra gcses Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am currently doing my A-levels at college, but coming from the Netherland I don’t have as much gcses as british students have.

Does anyone know a way to gain extra gces, so basically can I sit a gcse exam outside of a secondary school or maybe with a secondary school?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Prsc)
    I am currently doing my A-levels at college, but coming from the Netherland I don’t have as much gcses as british students have.

Does anyone know a way to gain extra gces, so basically can I sit a gcse exam outside of a secondary school or maybe with a secondary school?
    You can ask them to take into account your Dutch education/ qualifications.

If you need additional GCSEs i.e Maths and English, then you can:

Ask school/ college.
    Find a college.
    Do them online/ distance learn
    Teach yourself.

The amount levels tend to be

GCSE Maths and English

So some research on the unis you will apply to as to what you will need.

ReputationRep:
    How many GCSEs do you have/why do you want more? - -If you moved here for 6th form then you may only need Maths and English Language.

Have you any idea what subjects you are interested in taking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    You can ask them to take into account your Dutch education/ qualifications.

If you need additional GCSEs i.e Maths and English, then you can:

Ask school/ college.
    Find a college.
    Do them online/ distance learn
    Teach yourself.

The amount levels tend to be

GCSE Maths and English

So some research on the unis you will apply to as to what you will need.
    Thank you I will surely look into that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    How many GCSEs do you have/why do you want more? - -If you moved here for 6th form then you may only need Maths and English Language.

Have you any idea what subjects you are interested in taking?
    I want to apply to medicine which most unis require like 8-10 gces and I’ve got just 8(one D which i don’t count along so actually 7) so I would like to add some more to have more chance of getting in. And id go for subjects any subject to be honest (like double science ect). And what do you mean i may need only english and maths...to get into uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prsc)
    I want to apply to medicine which most unis require like 8-10 gces and I’ve got just 8(one D which i don’t count along so actually 7) so I would like to add some more to have more chance of getting in. And id go for subjects any subject to be honest (like double science ect). And what do you mean i may need only english and maths...to get into uni?
    Many universities will accept equivalent foreign qualifications if you have those. However, few medical schools will accept extra GCSEs taken after 16 to try to make up for poor performance earlier so I would check very carefully before bother. YOu may just jeopardise your chances of getting top grades at A level by focussing on too many different things. Also, I don't think any university expects more than 8 GCSEs - i certainly know someone who got into Med School with 8 this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    Many universities will accept equivalent foreign qualifications if you have those. However, few medical schools will accept extra GCSEs taken after 16 to try to make up for poor performance earlier so I would check very carefully before bother. YOu may just jeopardise your chances of getting top grades at A level by focussing on too many different things. Also, I don't think any university expects more than 8 GCSEs - i certainly know someone who got into Med School with 8 this year.
    Hmm, do you know what university they got into?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prsc)
    Hmm, do you know what university they got into?
    I remember he had a very good UKCAT score and got 3 offers but I'm afraid I can't remember where they were from.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.