Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I'm confused with electronic structure.

Indium has the config [Kr] 4d10 5s2 5p1

How do I work this out? Indium is in the p block but why isn't the 4f shell filled before the 5s2 and the 5p1? Does it have more energy?

ReputationRep:
    bumpedty bump bump

ReputationRep:
    It's just that the atomic number of indium is 49. F shell starts at cerium, atomic number of 58.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    If you google Aufbau principle you can see the order that orbitals fill.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amaraub)
    Hey guys I'm confused with electronic structure.

Indium has the config [Kr] 4d10 5s2 5p1

How do I work this out? Indium is in the p block but why isn't the 4f shell filled before the 5s2 and the 5p1? Does it have more energy?
    As a rule electrons are filled in pairs before the next orbital comes up. 5s2 and 5s1 are before 4f, that is why they comes first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    As a rule electrons are filled in pairs before the next orbital comes up. 5s2 and 5s1 are before 4f, that is why they comes first.
    Oh ok thanks

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok thanks
    As already mentioned, this is just another example of how the orbital filling order is different for multielectron atoms (the first case of this is the fact 4s fills before 3d).

Luckily for you the elements are arranged in a super handy way that shows you exactly what order the orbitals fill in, ie The Periodic Table!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok thanks
    Here you go, but mind there are exceptions for orbital fillings. As MexicanKeith said above, there are periodic tables which show the fillings exactly, even the ones which are not filling in pairs, so the exceptions too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    Here you go, but mind there are exceptions for orbital fillings. As MexicanKeith said above, there are periodic tables which show the fillings exactly, even the ones which are not filling in pairs, so the exceptions too.
    I have tried to research* this, but do you have any links to what you refer to? Or names of creators of alternative PTs that I can look for?

*Googled
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    I have tried to research* this, but do you have any links to what you refer to? Or names of creators of alternative PTs that I can look for?

*Googled
    Here are links to the eclectron configurations of single atoms:
    Link #1
    Link #2
    Link #3

Was hope to find the page with energy level depiction, but I can't.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.