Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Debate: Would you dump your partner if he/she got fat? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend told me that he'd leave me if I got fat. He claims that he isn't shallow because even though personality prevails, there has to be physical attraction in a relationship. Do you agree?

ReputationRep:
    The question is, would you leave him if he got fat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by euphonious)
    My boyfriend told me that he'd leave me if I got fat. He claims that he isn't shallow because even though personality prevails, there has to be physical attraction in a relationship. Do you agree?
    In my opinion thats the thing about liking someone for their personality - if he does like your personality as he claims he does then he would still be attracted to you no matter your weight - i think attraction from personality just makes you find your partner more attracctive regardless of their appearance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishax)
    The question is, would you leave him if he got fat?
    No, I would not at all. I'd encourage him to diet, of course, simply because I wouldn't want his health to be at risk.

ReputationRep:
    If he, out of the blue, said, "You're too fat, you're dumped." Then that would be abgn*

If he gives you some time to do something about it, "You're getting fat, if you don't do something about it, then I'll dump you." Then that, at least, would be fair. It would then be your choice whether you wanted to do something about that. Do you want to be with him? Someone who ranks your size over all of your other qualities?

*bang out of order.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BionicPinkyBear)
    In my opinion thats the thing about liking someone for their personality - if he does like your personality as he claims he does then he would still be attracted to you no matter your weight - i think attraction from personality just makes you find your partner more attracctive regardless of their appearance.
    But according to him, he'd still leave me if I got fat regardless of my personality. So, what are you saying? He must not like my personality enough to stay with me if I did gain weight? Lmao.

ReputationRep:
    Depends how fat and how much I value the relationship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    If he, out of the blue, said, "You're too fat, you're dumped." Then that would be abgn*

If he gives you some time to do something about it, "You're getting fat, if you don't do something about it, then I'll dump you." Then that, at least, would be fair. It would then be your choice whether you wanted to do something about that. Do you want to be with him? Someone who ranks your size over all of your other qualities?

*bang out of order.
    Just a bit of context: he didn't just say to me "oh, by the way, if you get fat I'm leaving you." I asked him if he would leave me if I gained weight, and he said yes. According to him "most guys would do the same thing", but I'm not so sure.

ReputationRep:
    But according to him, he'd still leave me if I got fat regardless of my personality. So, what are you saying? He must not like my personality enough to stay with me if I did gain weight? Lmao.
    Atm yeah seems he doesnt like your personality enough if he can say tht but i mean he could change his mind if he was in that situation. But i mean everyone gains weight as they grow older so he isnt gonna be the same he will lose his looks too at some point. In general its a bit of a dickish thing to say tho to ur partner pretty much implies hes not gonna always stay with u

ReputationRep:
    Atm yeah seems he doesnt like your personality enough if he can say tht but i mean he could change his mind if he was in that situation. But i mean everyone gains weight as they grow older so he isnt gonna be the same he will lose his looks too at some point. In general its a bit of a dickish thing to say tho to ur partner pretty much implies hes not gonna always stay with u
    Well, if that's the case, I might as well leave him now then. Get in there first, haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yaboi)
    Depends how fat and how much I value the relationship.
    I see.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if that's the case, I might as well leave him now then. Get in there first, haha.
    Well consider how much you like him first - perhaps its just a matter of growing up so if your willing to try and change his mind or wait for him to mature you dont have to end it - make him unable to leave you if you wish

ReputationRep:
    Hunty, you can lose weight by dumping him. There are going to be so many people in this world who will find your body and your personality beautiful.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    If she became a total whale and didn't want to do anything to change that, then yeah I'd dump her.

ReputationRep:
    Well consider how much you like him first - perhaps its just a matter of growing up so if your willing to try and change his mind or wait for him to mature you dont have to end it - make him unable to leave you if you wish
    Why would I want to waste my life trying to change his mind? He is 19 nearly 20, he isn't a child.

ReputationRep:
    According to him "most guys would do the same thing"
    Your reply should be, "But you are not 'most guys'", He is hiding behind a stereotype that supports his comment. Judge and Executioner.

Again, I would ask you (to ask yourself), do you want to be with someone who would effectively force you to be a certain size rather than want to be with you, full stop?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shameful_burrito)
    If she became a total whale and didn't want to do anything to change that, then yeah I'd dump her.
    Regardless of how much you liked her, you'd still choose to leave her?

ReputationRep:
    i think being attracted to your partner is important but its not the MOST important thing, i personally woud never leave someone just cos they gained weight. I
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I love him, he did get fat but he's still a great guy to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    Your reply should be, "But you are not 'most guys'", He is hiding behind a stereotype that supports his comment. Judge and Executioner.

Again, I would ask you (to ask yourself), do you want to be with someone who would effectively force you to be a certain size rather than want to be with you, full stop?
    I am so tempted to dump his ass, but I don't know if I'm just being pedantic.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.