Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Debate: Would you dump your partner if he/she got fat? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by euphonious)
    Why would I want to waste my life trying to change his mind? He is 19 nearly 20, he isn't a child.
    Well the decision is down to how much you like him i guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil_mitchell)
    i think being attracted to your partner is important but its not the MOST important thing, i personally woud never leave someone just cos they gained weight. I
    I agree. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naofassiri)
    Hunty, you can lose weight by dumping him. There are going to be so many people in this world who will find your body and your personality beautiful.
    I'm extremely tempted. Thank you, sweetie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hugh_hedgehog)
    I love him, he did get fat but he's still a great guy to me
    My point exactly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BionicPinkyBear)
    Well the decision is down to how much you like him i guess
    Mhm-hm.

ReputationRep:
    Mhm-hm.
    Guys in general dont get enough credit on how accepting they can be, this one may be a dud but theres plenty of guys who wouldn't care about that stuff, just they can sometims be judged too quick because of the dicks so prevalent in our society
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Regardless of how much you liked her, you'd still choose to leave her?
    If she got really fat and let go of her appearance. Then yeah for sure. I am in very good shape and care about fitness, why would I live with someone who would stand against every thing I stand for?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I love my boyfriend for who he is as a person and how he treats me. I wouldn't dump him if he turned into a talking fish.

What your bf said sounds like an assish comment, but people do say things that they don't fully mean in light hearted conversation or as a bit of a joke and if you haven't been together long he may still be building that really deep emotional bond with you. It's up to you how you take it, but I'd feel pretty hurt tbh. But hey, at least he doesn't think you're fat now. That's a plus I guess.

ReputationRep:
    It depends, sometimes you can become fat but be proud, like you might just be enjoying life to the fullest and so you don't care. But on the other hand it could be because of hopelessness, lack of ambition, laziness, bad habits, etc. If it's down to the latter then yes, if its the first reason then I wouldn't, even with the latter its only because of the side traits like no ambition, laziness, etc. not so much because they're actually fat

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't even let them get fat. I'd get them on a diet and go work out with them and if they quit then I'd leave them. Kind you to avoid all this I won't bother dating someone fat.

ReputationRep:
    should have turned around and asked him if he'd expect you to leave him if he ever got fat. its always a different story when the other way around i find

ReputationRep:
    yes its true, attraction does play a very big part on relationships i mean that is how we are first attracted to each other. ain't never seen no guy or girl checking out an ugly person before. theres got to be mutual attraction and therefore both should make the effort to stay looking good for each other. i wouldn't mind if she got a little plump, especially if its because she just gave birth. but morbidly obese is just a no. and likewise i wouldn't be surprised or upset if she left me for getting fat either. attraction is a 2-way street.

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend told me that he'd leave me if I got fat. He claims that he isn't shallow because even though personality prevails, there has to be physical attraction in a relationship. Do you agree?
    yes, im super shallow like that

ReputationRep:
    Beautiful 😘
    And reported.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed there needs to be attraction. but attraction to me is more than just weight. wouldn't like it if he suddenly became scruffy, got bad hygiene or turned into a bum either. heck i once lost interest in a boyfriend after he decided to grow his hair long... thankfully he cut it!

ReputationRep:
    No way. I love my girlfriend just the way she is.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yungaheartz)
    Agreed there needs to be attraction. but attraction to me is more than just weight. wouldn't like it if he suddenly became scruffy, got bad hygiene or turned into a bum either. heck i once lost interest in a boyfriend after he decided to grow his hair long... thankfully he cut it!
    don't forget anger. i broke up with a girl because she turned into a massive c_nt after we started dating. she was still hot but really vile, ain't no way i was going to be turned into a beta

ReputationRep:
    Unless the two involved are asexual (or the relationship is asexual), then physical appearance will be a factor (I suspect that it still may be a factor in some asexual relationships, but it'll be far less common). This is the unfortunate truth. I agree that in the majority of relationships, there has to be some sort of physical attraction (again, most, not all).
    As said before, this is an unfortunate truth. If someone said this to me, it would hurt quite a lot. I'd understand, but it'd hurt.

If I had a girlfriend and I really really liked her, I'd most likely stay with her despite the fact that she was fat. I'd encourage her to get back down to a healthy weight, but I'd stay with her.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I gained 80lbs in 6 months last year and my wife didn't leave me. I've lost some of the weight but I'm still hovering around the "obese BMI" cutoff point. I feel so loved that she hasn't left me despite how much I've changed and I think it shows me how much she really does care about me.

To me physical appearance is way less important than personality and how well I click with a person. I love my wife a lot and if she gained weight I'd prefer she didn't but there's no way I'd leave her, I love her personality and we have so much fun and work so well together - I don't think I could ever be with anyone else and I don't want to either. Your partner sounds extremely childish that he cannot see past physical appearances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    I love my boyfriend for who he is as a person and how he treats me. I wouldn't dump him if he turned into a talking fish.

What your bf said sounds like an assish comment, but people do say things that they don't fully mean in light hearted conversation or as a bit of a joke and if you haven't been together long he may still be building that really deep emotional bond with you. It's up to you how you take it, but I'd feel pretty hurt tbh. But hey, at least he doesn't think you're fat now. That's a plus I guess.
    We've only been seeing one another for a couple of months, but even so, his comments shed light on a superficial and blinkered character. I met him on TSR actually, haha.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.