Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

dropping out at the start of the second year at uni Watch

ReputationRep:
    i have been studying computer games development, and since starting i didnt enjoy it all it just wasnt for me, i chose this course thinking it would be something i would like but it turned out to be the complete opposite but i stuck to it and my depression and anxiety only grew, i stayed for the first year and barely passed, but now that im in my second year, i am just as worse as last year, i feel so much worse, im not good at the course at all, i have no friends at uni and im really miserable, i have been thinking about dropping out because i cant really take it anymore, but if i drop out what will happen to my loans and how would i repay them, i get the tuition loans and a maintenance one which is £1000 a term, im currently in my 4th week of the first semester, second year, can someone help me out?

ReputationRep:
    If you genuinely have depression, you can claim CPR for this year because technically now you’ve used two years of Student Finance.

Next year you can go back to same course for second year or start from scratch if your CPR is approved.

ReputationRep:
    what I wanna do is drop out and get a job so i can sort myself out, basically take a gap year where i can reevaluate what i wanna do because i dont know if i want to go back to uni but if i decide in the future i want to it would be a different course, im just wondering if i drop out now how do i repay the loans i took and do i have to pay anything immediately as i have already started my second year and for weeks into it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dwyer)
    i have been studying computer games development, and since starting i didnt enjoy it all it just wasnt for me, i chose this course thinking it would be something i would like but it turned out to be the complete opposite but i stuck to it and my depression and anxiety only grew, i stayed for the first year and barely passed, but now that im in my second year, i am just as worse as last year, i feel so much worse, im not good at the course at all, i have no friends at uni and im really miserable, i have been thinking about dropping out because i cant really take it anymore, but if i drop out what will happen to my loans and how would i repay them, i get the tuition loans and a maintenance one which is £1000 a term, im currently in my 4th week of the first semester, second year, can someone help me out?
    financially you'll be ok, you pay it back once u earn over 21k that still applies if ur sure its the right choice drop out

Which university did you go to may I ask?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Which university did you go to may I ask?
    i currently go to ljmu, liverpool john moores university
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dwyer)
    You can talk to your uni about going on medical leave. You can take a year (or more) out and come back when you are ready. You are on leave, not dropped out, so your place will be there when you're ready for it. I'm not sure how this affects the current payments from SF, but your uni can help you with that.

You may also be able to et a certificate of higher education form your first year. I think it depends on the course though. Again, discuss it with your uni.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.