Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I turn 16 next month and I am hoping to have a small evening meal with a group of my friends. My friendship group is fairly small but without leaving people out I don't think I will be able to afford paying the bill for 7/8 people including myself. Is it rude to ask the guests to pay for themselves? Obviously we are all students so it would not be a particularly fancy meal. And if not, how do I ensure that everybody is aware of this arrangement without suggesting it outright? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Well the birthday meals ive been to, i had to pay for myself, but before everyone turned 16, their parents would pay for everyone
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seesey)
    I turn 16 next month and I am hoping to have a small evening meal with a group of my friends. My friendship group is fairly small but without leaving people out I don't think I will be able to afford paying the bill for 7/8 people including myself. Is it rude to ask the guests to pay for themselves? Obviously we are all students so it would not be a particularly fancy meal. And if not, how do I ensure that everybody is aware of this arrangement without suggesting it outright? Thanks!
    If they are decent friends, then politely discussing it outright wouldnt be too bad.

ReputationRep:
    with my friends whenever we go out for bday meals everyone always pays for themselves
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seesey)

Any bday meal I've been involved in (including adult and extended family things) past kiddie parties has been each person or household paying for themselves or an equally split bill. Totally appropriate.

If you're taking multiple people it may be a pain for the restaurant to split a bill and for you guys to do the maths so you could always agree on you each paying a set price (base it on main, drink and possibly a desert) and you can pick up any loose change or pay any small amount over.
    You'll also want to book btw (easy to forget).

I would just ask in a group chat or something where people like and slip in a line about not wanting it to be too expensive for people or mention an agreed plan of action. With a little hint it should be obvious enough that you want them to pay for themselves.

Shameless promotions here, but TGI fridays have a cool unlimited appetisers deal on certain evenings and will also give you a special treat on your Bday if you get their app. I believe it's a slice of cake and possibly a cocktail (or mock-tail).
    The deal has a set price for unlimited food and they do unlimited refills on fizz.

Not sure if it's a 16yo party kinda place, but if you're trying to decide where to go and how to sort out payments it could be an easy option. Ditto with any sort of buffet with set price.

Hope that helps and happy birthday! :yay:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.