Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladbants)
    What do you think of Brexit and has it changed your day to day life? Are you planning to go back or stay in the U.K. after the uk leaves (I hope you stay, you seem like a nice guy
    Personally I don't agree with Brexit, and I think if we leave with no deal or any deal that doesn't involve some level of access to the single market it would be disastrous for the economy. But I understand why people wanted to leave, and there are some legitimate reasons. I dislike the way some of the EU leaders are pushing for greater integration and I feel that the Euro was a mistake. I think the EU's focus should be on free trade.

At the same time, I feel that a lot people are wrong about immigration and understate the benefits that it can bring to the UK. EU migrants are working in all sectors of the economy including the NHS and financial services. I understand that there are some sitting there claiming benefits but overall they make a net contribution to the economy. And I don't understand the rhetoric about 'immigrants taking our jobs'- if a native Briton can't compete with a Bulgarian immigrant who can barely speak English I think maybe more skills training is needed. I think London is a good example of a city which has benefitted greatly from immigration and that can be seen from the lack of support for Brexit here.

But I do feel, more recently, that I'm less welcome here. People are more vocal about their opposition to immigration and the uncertainty surrounding the Brexit talks suggest that the chance of a no-deal situation is higher, in which case I don't know if I can stay here or if I'll have all the rights I have now. Recently I have started preparing for the life in the UK test to apply for UK citizenship, just in case. The worst thing has been that before I used to feel that I was a part of this country but the Brexit vote kinda showed that most people don't really feel the same, sad really. I guess if I get citizenship that will solidify my status as 'British'

ReputationRep:
    What part of London do you live in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    What part of London do you live in?
    Parsons Green, in west/southwest London

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilikecats12)
    I like it a lot. I've only lived in London so don't know what it's like to live in other parts of the country but London is a great city, so much history everywhere you go, great public transport, very diverse, so much to do, and has friendly but quiet people.

I've been living here since I was 8 years old so I feel at home here, can't imagine living anywhere else. London is full of opportunities as well, when it comes to careers and starting a business.
    London, good? those two phrases should not go in the same sentence. Come to the West Midlands you would want to go back to Germany

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.