Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is your skin care men's? People who have suffered from acne and had acne scars Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have been treating my acne and it has improved but it has given me scars at the side of my eyes. I still have moderate acne around my cheek. My skin doesn't feel smooth so I was wondering what people do to take care of their skin. My routine is morning: face wash with salicylic acid 2% and then moisturizer ( nivea no oil) and then at night wash my face and apply differin cream 0.1 percent . I think I'm doing something wrong so need advice thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi there. I went to see my GP about mild acne. I got referred to a dermatologist who prescribed antibiotics which I took for about 3 months. The acne clared up brilliantly. Would advise you to do the same as me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by igotnomoney)
    I have been treating my acne and it has improved but it has given me scars at the side of my eyes. I still have moderate acne around my cheek. My skin doesn't feel smooth so I was wondering what people do to take care of their skin. My routine is morning: face wash with salicylic acid 2% and then moisturizer ( nivea no oil) and then at night wash my face and apply differin cream 0.1 percent . I think I'm doing something wrong so need advice thanks
    I barely ever wash my face maybe once a week.

But I moisturise a lot!

Also diet plays a key role in maintaining good clear complexion, washing your face doesn't really do anything, it helps clear the acne but not prevent the acne.

Prevention is the best cure.

I don't wash my face because it strips you of your natural moisture, causing your skin to become dry and break out further.

So if I were you I'd concentrate on your diet and less on how often you should be washing your face, because twice a day sounds too much to me!

You might be over doing it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunnydespair)
    Hi there. I went to see my GP about mild acne. I got referred to a dermatologist who prescribed antibiotics which I took for about 3 months. The acne clared up brilliantly. Would advise you to do the same as me.
    I did this. I also only wash my face with warm water and non-fragranced soap as the dermatologist found that perfumes inside various soaps was helping the acne to flare up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunnydespair)
    I went to gp, he gave me antibiotics and defwrin cream .. I would say my axbe has cleared up with red blemishes still being there and scars but I don't like the fact that my face is not smooth and has scars ... a lot of my family and friends say it is fine but I think they are saying it to make me feel better. I think I need to see my go again.

ReputationRep:
    Acne scars are an effect of acne and they're permanent. They honestly don't look bad, acne is common nobody gives a ****. Better to have scars than the actual acne.

Am surprised your derm hasn't gone straight to tried and tested Benzoyl 2.5%. It's a miracle worker for any severity of acne.

Go to your GP and request antibiotics. My acne for my back is completely gone and my face acne is rare nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    Clarins moisturiser x2 a day
    Nivea face wash once a day
    Eye cream once a day
    Exfoliator once a week
    Drink lots of water

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    Acne scars are an effect of acne and they're permanent. They honestly don't look bad, acne is common nobody gives a ****. Better to have scars than the actual acne.

Am surprised your derm hasn't gone straight to tried and tested Benzoyl 2.5%. It's a miracle worker for any severity of acne.
    I didn't go to dermatologist, I went to gp. My acne was mild to moderate .. wasn't serious .. probably why he didn't prescribed ... I think I'm doing something wrong with my routine ... I guess acne scars doesn't look bad ... this is what everybody says that acne/ acne scars doesn't matter because it is normal but when I look at so many people there face looks so clean mainly people at age of 25 to 30s. I am only 18 so have hope that as I grow my skin gets better

ReputationRep:
    Retin A

ReputationRep:
    I didn't go to dermatologist, I went to gp. My acne was mild to moderate .. wasn't serious .. probably why he didn't prescribed ... I think I'm doing something wrong with my routine ... I guess acne scars doesn't look bad ... this is what everybody says that acne/ acne scars doesn't matter because it is normal but when I look at so many people there face looks so clean mainly people at age of 25 to 30s. I am only 18 so have hope that as I grow my skin gets better
    GP's here are useless for everything but very general things tbh. They don't give a ****.
    You don't need a prescription for benzoyl peroxide, it's OTC. I got some from eBay, it is pretty drying but it kills the acne bacteria and within a few months, providing you stick to it regularly, it'll be gone. It's the same stuff that is in Clearasil, but Clearasil is very expensive compared to normal unbranded BP. Use BP and water based moisturiser every night and if you can handle it in the day then great too.

ReputationRep:
    Look up Skincareaddiction/SkincareaddictionUK on Reddit, they have a wealth of knowledge and will be able to help you with what products may or may not help you with your skin concerns and to build an effective routine.

ReputationRep:
    I initially went to see a dermatologist, but the prescription products were too harsh for my sensitive skin. I read about dermalmd product in a magazine. I feel its my best found.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.