Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering working my way back to study maths at uni but looking at what maths is like I'm feeling rather intimidated (though still very much interested).

It seems that you need to have natural talent for maths and hard work simply isn't enough.

Anyone with experience want to share their thought and advice?

ReputationRep:
    I think maths requires a combination of hard work and natural ability. If you think you can get a decent set of A levels in maths and further maths, then go ahead and study it at uni .

ReputationRep:
    Maths is not like learning to speak English. You pick up English easily because everyone around you speak it and by the time you do GCSEs you're spent 16 years speaking and using it every second of your life.

Maths you only get to learn it in school and rarely outside, so you don't get as much practice as English. To get good at it, you need to do it often and really work hard at it.

The only female winner of the Fields medal for mathematicians, Maryam Mirzakhani, described how she did poorly at maths early in her life:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...-mathematician
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grj91)
    I'm considering working my way back to study maths at uni but looking at what maths is like I'm feeling rather intimidated (though still very much interested).

It seems that you need to have natural talent for maths and hard work simply isn't enough.

What does this bit in bold mean?

Have you been out of education for a while?

What qualifications do you have already and what are you planning to study to prepare for university entry?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I've been out of education for a while. I plan on taking A Level Maths, F Maths and one other. I already have 3 A Levels and an AS but I think I underachieved due to personal problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grj91)

This is simply untrue. Maths degree is very demanding regardless of talent. Students apply to uni which they feel will challenge them and their 'talent'. The only times I have met a student studying Maths that barely does any work, and do well are those that are in uni with a very low entry requirement who decided to go there purely for the sake of partying (despite getting good enough grades to get into somewhere more decent). These uni tend to have very fewer modules, so that students will have more time to learn things, and be introduced to more advanced stuff during later years.

I'm no Maths genius (barely passed at GCSE and hated the subject) and barely have any talent in it (same with a very large majority of the people in my course). We all get by just by developing our study habits, and putting in hours.

Many people tend to over exaggerate the difficulty when it comes to Maths, which mostly came down to their dissatisfaction with it during school. Overall, if you really do like the subject and truly feel like you'll benefit from it, do it.

ReputationRep:
    kkboyk, did you study maths at uni then? If so what uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grj91)
    kkboyk, did you study maths at uni then? If so what uni?
    Yes I do, at Swansea (not very reputable at all, but we learn the exact same thing as other uni such as Birmingham)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.