Turn on thread page Beta

Help with driving test changes watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I have done my driving test twice now and failed both times, I'm very disappointed.

The first time was a complete mess, had an awful route and a horrendous, cocky examiner. Someone sped through a red light and was a few feet away from hitting me (didn't get penalised), which shook me up then someone came all around a roundabout in the left lane and almost hit me again (did get penalised and failed as I didn't look quick enough).

Second time was on Friday, I failed for being hesitant when changing lanes twice. I was going to appeal as I couldn't have gone on either time, if I had have gone I would have hit the car but I stayed and got marked down anyway.

My next test is 15th December (St Helens centre) and it's just after the new test comes in. I'm worried I'll be at a disadvantage, although I know I'm good at driving. I practise everyday in my car and my instructor has told me not to have more lessons with her until closer to the test.

I was looking for some thoughts about what I should do, I'm looking for a cancellation in November too. Is anyone else in this situation too? I'm frustrated with this as both times I've been on the cusp of passing but havent and now I don't know if I will be examined differently.

Thanks everyone

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully you will be able to get a cancellation in October or November or early December, just check the site. Fingers crossed...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Cat2289)
    Hi all,

I have done my driving test twice now and failed both times, I'm very disappointed.

The first time was a complete mess, had an awful route and a horrendous, cocky examiner. Someone sped through a red light and was a few feet away from hitting me (didn't get penalised), which shook me up then someone came all around a roundabout in the left lane and almost hit me again (did get penalised and failed as I didn't look quick enough).

Second time was on Friday, I failed for being hesitant when changing lanes twice. I was going to appeal as I couldn't have gone on either time, if I had have gone I would have hit the car but I stayed and got marked down anyway.

My next test is 15th December (St Helens centre) and it's just after the new test comes in. I'm worried I'll be at a disadvantage, although I know I'm good at driving. I practise everyday in my car and my instructor has told me not to have more lessons with her until closer to the test.

I was looking for some thoughts about what I should do, I'm looking for a cancellation in November too. Is anyone else in this situation too? I'm frustrated with this as both times I've been on the cusp of passing but havent and now I don't know if I will be examined differently.

Thanks everyone
    What your instructor said sounds odd. Surely it will be beneficial for you to keep the momentum (sorry) going by driving at least once a week so you don't get rusty?

There isn't any harm in incorporating the new manoveurs alongside your old ones just in case you don't get a cancellation - you'll still learn valuable lessons/practice core skills that are useful for the current driving test.

Normally cancellations are easy to get, and from my experience and what I've heard from others, it takes about 2 weeks max for one to appear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    What your instructor said sounds odd. Surely it will be beneficial for you to keep the momentum (sorry) going by driving at least once a week so you don't get rusty?

There isn't any harm in incorporating the new manoveurs alongside your old ones just in case you don't get a cancellation - you'll still learn valuable lessons/practice core skills that are useful for the current driving test.

Normally cancellations are easy to get, and from my experience and what I've heard from others, it takes about 2 weeks max for one to appear.
    Thanks for the fast reply.

I'm going to do my test in my car anyway as I drive everywhere i can rather than just test routes with my instructor.

I will do that, I hope I get a cancellation. I'm thinking I'll have a lot more experience then anyway so it's not as big of a deal as I thought. I'd rather do the old test though.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Cat2289)
    Hi all,

Thanks everyone
    If you failed, you failed for good reason.The test changes aren't exactly a big deal.

Tagging AngryJellyfish to move this thread to Learning to Drive.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.