Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

List of Universities which have started sending offers! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I saw this thread, thought it would be good to make a list of unis which have started making offers

Started sending for UK applicants:(not sure about international, sorry!):

Spoiler:
    Show

- Aberystwyth
    - Anglia Ruskin University
    - Bath
    - Belfast
    - Birmingham
    - Bournemouth
    - Bradford
    - Bristol
    - Bristol UWE
    - Brunel
    - Cardiff
    - Central Lancashire
    - Chichester
    - Durham
    - Edinburgh
    - Exeter
    - Glasgow
    - Huddersfield
    - Imperial
    - KCL
    - Kent
    - Lancaster
    - Leeds
    - Leicester
    - Lincoln Lancaster
    - Liverpool
    - London City
    - Loughborough
    - Manchester
    - Middlesex
    - Newcastle
    - Nottingham
    - Nottingham Trent
    - Northumbria
    - Oxford Brookes
    - Queen Marys
    - Reading
    - Royal Holloway
    - Portsmouth
    - Sheffield
    - Sheffield Hallam
    - Southampton
    - South Wales
    - Stirling
    - Surrey
    - Sussex
    - Swansea
    - UCL
    - UEA
    - Warwick
    - Winchester
    - Wolverhampton
    - York

edit: ps: I'm probably going to stop updating this soon, as I think by end of november, all universities will have started sending.
    ________________________________ __________________

This thread made you scared because you haven't applied yet?
    Spoiler:
    Show

From @Snufkin 's
    Applying Early: the pros and cons?

Some advisers will tell you that applying early always gives you an advantage. It doesn’t, necessarily. There are risks attached to rushing your choices. If you are sure then there's no reason not to apply early, but if you are in doubt then it is better to take your time.

Applying early does not necessarily mean that you'll get all your decisions in quickly. Every year there are cases of applicants who sent their application in September not hearing back until April, or later. This is particularly true of competitive courses such as History, English, Law, Economics. This can happen even with less competitive courses and universities - some unis have a policy not to look at anything until all applications are in. Others will do a preliminary screening which will weed out the obvious no-hopers and keep all the other applicants waiting for months. In short, there's no knowing when you will hear back from a university, so don't rush your application.

What does 'equal consideration really mean? Surely if I apply later all the offers will have been made and I'll miss out?

Another issue people get really bothered about is 'equal consideration', and how this can possibly work if offers are given out earlier than the January deadline. Some people say that admissions tutors told them to apply early or miss out. This is nonsense. The number of offers a university makes for a specific course is not the same as the number of places they actually have. Unis know, through long experience, what proportion of the offers they make will convert into 'bums on seats' in September/October. So, even Oxford and Cambridge make more offers than they have places (Maths at Cambridge is a particularly good example, as quite a number of their offer holders fall foul of the STEP requirements and don't actually get their place in the end). They probably reckon that their conversion rate from offers to enrolments is 97% or higher - but still not 100% - and it will vary from course to course. Other unis, where a fair proportion of offers that are made don't get accepted in the first place, whether as a firm or insurance choice, will need to make far more offers to make sure that they fill the course. Let's say uni A is recruiting for course X. They know from experience what grades are needed to do well on the course, and may have a particular view about what they are looking for in the personal statement and reference. They also know that they have needed to make at least 4 offers for every student who actually arrives on campus. So, if they receive applications in October that tick all their boxes, they aren't going to hang around until January before making offers. If an application is obviously above their particular 'line' an offer will be made whether the application was received in October or at 17.59 on 15 January.

It is noticeable that the unis that have 'form' for keeping people hanging on for news for several months are those where a large volume of high-quality applications will have been received, and in that case all of them will be held over until after the equal consideration deadline - this approach is known as the 'gathered field'. At that point, every application will go through some kind of scoring process in order to rank them as objectively as possible.

Haven't got an offer yet?
    Spoiler:
    Show

Check out this thread.

^ Basically an amalgamation of every response to this question, ignoring the discourse. C'est la vie, don't sweat it.

ReputationRep:
    all of them
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I’ve had offers from Exeter & Royal Holloway for English lit - has anyone had offers?

ReputationRep:
    This kind of scares me, is there an advantage to applying early then? I thought all apps before Jan deadline were considered equal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by "mature"student)
    This kind of scares me, is there an advantage to applying early then? I thought all apps before Jan deadline were considered equal?
    They are all considered equally! As long as you send it before the deadline, you're in the same position as everyone else.

Some universities don't send out any offers until after January, so don't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squiidsquid)
    They are all considered equally! As long as you send it before the deadline, you're in the same position as everyone else.

Some universities don't send out any offers until after January, so don't worry about it.
    What confuses me though is that if this is the case how come Unis are giving early offers. Surely they have limited offers to give out, so giving them out early is making it harder for later applicants?

3 of the UNI's I wish to apply for are in the "lots of offers" section haha.

ReputationRep:
    I received an offer from Leeds yesterday for Spanish and Arabic, for any Modern Languages applicants out there

ReputationRep:
    What confuses me though is that if this is the case how come Unis are giving early offers. Surely they have limited offers to give out, so giving them out early is making it harder for later applicants?
    They've been doing this for a while, so I assume they have a system for allocation? Edinburgh for example gets around 60,000 applicants per year, so they know how many more they're expecting. I'm p sure there's some threads flying about answering your question, which will be better at answering your question than me.

ReputationRep:
    Huh. I've applied for Leeds and Sheffield for Theoretical Physics and for Warwick for Maths with Physics. Nothing yet.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

3 of the UNI's I wish to apply for are in the "lots of offers" section haha.
    As said previously unis will know roughly how many applicants of roughly what quality they will get. This makes it easy to give offers to those who massively exceed the criteria, and reject those who are massively below it, leaving the more marginal decisions until they have received more applications and can see more precisely what their applicant pool looks like.
    Hence, it does not disadvantage later applicants as it is only people who are clearly in the offer range who will receive offers this early and people at that level will receive an offer whether they apply in September or in January. The only people it will affect is the more marginal applicants, and almost all unis will wait until later to make decisions on those.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heirio)
    Huh. I've applied for Leeds and Sheffield for Theoretical Physics and for Warwick for Maths with Physics. Nothing yet.
    Check the thread I linked above, maybe they've not made any offers to maths/physics yet?

ReputationRep:
    An important thing to consider is that the people who are applying early are typically the Oxbridge applicants who are the most qualified and the most likely to receive offers anyway. It doesn't mean that applying early helps in itself.

ReputationRep:
    I think Glasgow have started sending offers!

ReputationRep:
    updated

ReputationRep:
    I've just got a letter from Leeds inviting me to an applicant day, which is a good sign and is usually followed by an offer.

ReputationRep:
    I've had offers from Warwick, Birmingham, and Southampton!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Georgia)
    I've had offers from Warwick, Birmingham, and Southampton!
    well done!! What course?

I tried to change my list, but the mobile app went ballistic - i'll put it back when i get back from holiday

ReputationRep:
    got an offer from Sheffield for theoretical physics, AAA

ReputationRep:
    Got an offer from KCL for Molecular Genetics
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squiidsquid)
    If you're like me and obsessively checking this thread

edit: sorry i just tried to edit it on the app and it messed up - will change back when i get back from holiday
    This looks like a really good thread, well done.
    Fixed the problem with your OP as well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.