Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Possible reasons for people to use old technology instead of modern? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm writing a story and the setting is very old fashioned however characters are aware of modern technology. (I don't want to set it in the past as it will effect the plot) but don't use it. Should I just go with they just don't like it? Or have enough resources to build them for everyone?

Less resources sounds reasonable.

I personally hate most technology and wish life was like the 80s-05 again.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Some people are so familar to old technology and so happy with this and see no sense to own the modern one.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matilda612)
    I'm writing a story and the setting is very old fashioned however characters are aware of modern technology. (I don't want to set it in the past as it will effect the plot) but don't use it. Should I just go with they just don't like it? Or have enough resources to build them for everyone?
    Some people don't think modern tech is natural, some people use to feel closer to their craft, some people don't have the money or resources for more modern tech, some people have religious or cultural issues with modern tech.
    You could look into some groups of people like traditional blacksmiths or other traditional hobbiests, the Amish, some countries in the third world etc to give you a better idea of whatever route you choose to go down.
    And of course you could also do something more out there like some sort of dooms day scenario or apocalypse (think Fallout or the 100).

Hope that helps and good luck with your story.

ReputationRep:
    Familiarity.
    Simplicity.
    More reliable.
    Cheaper.
    New, unwanted annoying features on more modern tech.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    Some people don't think modern tech is natural, some people use to feel closer to their craft, some people don't have the money or resources for more modern tech, some people have religious or cultural issues with modern tech.
    You could look into some groups of people like traditional blacksmiths or other traditional hobbiests, the Amish, some countries in the third world etc to give you a better idea of whatever route you choose to go down.
    And of course you could also do something more out there like some sort of dooms day scenario or apocalypse (think Fallout or the 100).

Hope that helps and good luck with your story.
    Wow that was a very detailed response
    Thank you
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Moved to Technology and computers.

For myself, I grow attached to devices and use them until they no longer work, so if a few generations of new and improved devices come out while my old one's still going strong, then so be it. I used portable CD players for years after MP3 players came out, and now have an MP3 player despite most people using their smartphones (something else I don't own). Also, I'm a creature of habit, so even if my old tech does break down, I'll likely try and find the same item pre-owned or whatever (unless there's some new feature I REALLY want).

My mother is a more extreme case, a real technophobe (born in the 60s, and pretty much hates anything that's been invented since then). She's the reason all our TVs are still CRT, and she made my father sell his car because the doors opened electronically and it made 'weird beeping noises'. I'm just thankful she tolerates me having a PC and internet. :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Moved to Technology and computers.

For myself, I grow attached to devices and use them until they no longer work, so if a few generations of new and improved devices come out while my old one's still going strong, then so be it. I used portable CD players for years after MP3 players came out, and now have an MP3 player despite most people using their smartphones (something else I don't own). Also, I'm a creature of habit, so even if my old tech does break down, I'll likely try and find the same item pre-owned or whatever (unless there's some new feature I REALLY want).

My mother is a more extreme case, a real technophobe (born in the 60s, and pretty much hates anything that's been invented since then). She's the reason all our TVs are still CRT, and she made my father sell his car because the doors opened electronically and it made 'weird beeping noises'. I'm just thankful she tolerates me having a PC and internet. :afraid:
    I sorry but that made me laugh so hard!
    Thanks for moving the thread , I wasn't sure where to place it.
    There are going to be comedy elements in the story and you've given me new ideas .
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    That is sad 😭 what are the engineers and mechanics going to be doing in your story? Will they exist? Will laptsops exsist?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I personally hate most technology and wish life was like the 80s-05 again.
    I understand you, I think the same sometimes. I appreciate technology which is intended for faciliate the life, but a handful technologies exist which I consider as irrelevant.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Mistrust, that the march will not stop until humanity is replaced.

Mistrust that technocrats will soon rule the planet.

Old technology is simple, easy to understand, more reliable, better quality and easier to repair.

Loss of privacy, that old technology is not a tool of Big Brother.

Rather than freeing up time, we have become slaves in our own homes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matilda612)
    Easier to fix (especially in the case of cars), more privacy, harder to remotely hack, simpler, cheaper

ReputationRep:
    A religious revival of an Amish like cult

People just getting fed up of being spied on by their appliances etc.

Some enormous catastrophe that is correctly or incorrectly attributed to technology.

'Electro-smog' turning out to be real

If one is extremely security conscious, or untrusting of the government, one might want to use old processors, for example, since the modern ones almost certainly have backdoors in them (maybe NSA put them in the design, or maybe the Chinese government ordered manufacturers to put them in the build).

One might wish to use physical mail etc. to avoid giving their data away to American corporations.

One might wish to use old operating systems to play retro games.

One might wish to not connect to the internet for fear of hackers.

ReputationRep:
      Privacy. Now your entire phone can be tapped as its all online and backed up on the cloud.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by FriendlyPenguin)
      If one is extremely security conscious, or untrusting of the government, one might want to use old processors, for example, since the modern ones almost certainly have backdoors in them (maybe NSA put them in the design, or maybe the Chinese government ordered manufacturers to put them in the build).

One might wish to use physical mail etc. to avoid giving their data away to American corporations.

One might wish to use old operating systems to play retro games.

One might wish to not connect to the internet for fear of hackers.
      facinating

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by uberteknik)
      Mistrust, that the march will not stop until humanity is replaced.

Mistrust that technocrats will soon rule the planet.

Old technology is simple, easy to understand, more reliable, better quality and easier to repair.

Loss of privacy, that old technology is not a tool of Big Brother.

Rather than freeing up time, we have become slaves in our own homes.
      doesn't technology already rule?

ReputationRep:
      About 5 years ago there was a small business in my locality that only had one computer. It was an IBM AT running DOS that had been bought secondhand in 1990.

ReputationRep:
      Review for the Nokia 3310:

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.