Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,Im currently doing a mental health nurse degree which I love. I'm looking to do a top up or conversion course to get my second registration as a adult nurse. Is this still a thing? i can't seem to find this sort of course anywhere? I am looking to get into the states in the next 6 years and am aware they don't consider mental health nurse sufficient as a degree due to the lack of general practice hours.Please can anyone advice thanks

ReputationRep:
    you can do that. however some employers are not supporting duel registered nurses. remember you have to meet the minimum work hours and study for each branch your registered to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paulbarlow)
    you can do that. however some employers are not supporting duel registered nurses. remember you have to meet the minimum work hours and study for each branch your registered to.
    Hi Paulbarlow, thanks for your reply. May main concern is that I will be unable to practice nursing in the states with my Mental Health Nursing Degree due not enough hours in general nursing, which is a requirement of American qualified nurses.

Therefore, my hope to reconcile that was to do the second registration? unless there is some other way that would be more logical?

Ive always had a keen interest in both mental health and adult field, however, am unsure of areas where a dual field nurse can keep up competencies in both fields. ALSO, having searched for the second registration course, it seems that it might not be a thing anymore?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucyha)
    Hi Paulbarlow, thanks for your reply. May main concern is that I will be unable to practice nursing in the states with my Mental Health Nursing Degree due not enough hours in general nursing, which is a requirement of American qualified nurses.

Therefore, my hope to reconcile that was to do the second registration? unless there is some other way that would be more logical?

Ive always had a keen interest in both mental health and adult field, however, am unsure of areas where a dual field nurse can keep up competencies in both fields. ALSO, having searched for the second registration course, it seems that it might not be a thing anymore?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Conversion to adult branch courses are few and far between, I just did a quick search and it looks like Bournemouth offer a course, however it's not cheap by the looks of things. There are loads of areas of practice where being both MH and adult qualified would be useful, such as the emergency department, acute medical units, elderly care etc.

Tbh, if going to the US is your long term goal, you'd be better off training as an adult branch nurse. Are you in a position to be able to switch branches, some universities allow this and it's often easier to move to adult branch as they tend to have the most vacancies.

ReputationRep:
    you also are required to have childrens nursing experience. its not an easy process to practice in the us or canada,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucyha)
    Hi guys,Im currently doing a mental health nurse degree which I love. I'm looking to do a top up or conversion course to get my second registration as a adult nurse. Is this still a thing? i can't seem to find this sort of course anywhere? I am looking to get into the states in the next 6 years and am aware they don't consider mental health nurse sufficient as a degree due to the lack of general practice hours.Please can anyone advice thanks
    Hey lucyha, i was in the same dilemma as you a few years back, initially I wanted to do paediatric but like you I wanted to work abroad so I ended up doing AN which isn't actually very bad. And the answer to your question, yes there are still many universities who does post grad AN.

City university
    Kingston
    southampton
    south bank

theres loads if you do a little bit of research. All the best!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    Conversion to adult branch courses are few and far between, I just did a quick search and it looks like Bournemouth offer a course, however it's not cheap by the looks of things. There are loads of areas of practice where being both MH and adult qualified would be useful, such as the emergency department, acute medical units, elderly care etc.

Tbh, if going to the US is your long term goal, you'd be better off training as an adult branch nurse. Are you in a position to be able to switch branches, some universities allow this and it's often easier to move to adult branch as they tend to have the most vacancies.
    Hi there, thanks so much for your reply. Unfortunately i have attempted to change course and have been told this is not possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shayy16)
    Hey lucyha, i was in the same dilemma as you a few years back, initially I wanted to do paediatric but like you I wanted to work abroad so I ended up doing AN which isn't actually very bad. And the answer to your question, yes there are still many universities who does post grad AN.

City university
    Kingston
    southampton
    south bank

theres loads if you do a little bit of research. All the best!
    Hi There, Thanks so much for your reply to my query. I am confused about post grad, I always believed its for other degrees e.g. psychology for instance, not for someone who's completed a mental health nursing degree and has got registration. I'm more looking for something thats around a year (post grad is 2 years) that doesn't cover the basics of nursing because i've already done that under my mental health degree, but something that covers the aspects of adult nursing (including the hours in child, midwifery and LD) that i haven't covered in my mental health degree and would give me a second registration or the general hours i need to get into the states. If I'm wrong and post grad is that pls correct me! I'm so muffled and stuck

thanks x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paulbarlow)
    you also are required to have childrens nursing experience. its not an easy process to practice in the us or canada,
    Hi there thanks for your reply.
    Yeah I'm aware you need to do a certain number of hours in child, midwifery, mental health and LD in order to gain your adult qualification in the UK. I figured maybe it was the same for the US and that our degree and their degree matches up in that way which is why so many adult nurses can go out there and work. i was hoping there would be a conversion course which would take this into account but it seems not to massively be a thing anymore

ReputationRep:
    try this site http://www.brutish-nursing.com/wk_us.html

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.