Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anxiety my whole life? Or just shyness? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've pretty much been known as the 'quiet girl' dating all the way back to nursery.
    I remember being a pretty alone during nursery. Whilst the other kids were playing on equipment, I would be on the other side of the playground, by myself. There was a case where I was lost in my thoughts( I presume) that I walked into an ankle deep puddle without releasing until the teachers called me out...this happened twice.
    Once it hit year 1, I had made a few friends. Never put my hand up or spoke out during class because I was afraid (still don't). I pretty much had 1 friend during most of primary school, ( one that I would hang out with a break and lunch), although I did speak to others occasionally.
    This one friend came to high-school with me, she ended up finding other friends, which I tried to fit in with too, but I just felt left out.
    We don't talk anymore.
    I've developed anxiety, and I'm stuggling to talk to people. But when I try to think of why this may have happened I honestly can't come up with a reason, pretty much my whole life I've been like this.
    Even talking to my parents is a real struggle.
    What is wrong with me?!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lia22)
    I've pretty much been known as the 'quiet girl' dating all the way back to nursery.
    I remember being a pretty alone during nursery. Whilst the other kids were playing on equipment, I would be on the other side of the playground, by myself. There was a case where I was lost in my thoughts( I presume) that I walked into an ankle deep puddle without releasing until the teachers called me out...this happened twice.
    Once it hit year 1, I had made a few friends. Never put my hand up or spoke out during class because I was afraid (still don't). I pretty much had 1 friend during most of primary school, ( one that I would hang out with a break and lunch), although I did speak to others occasionally.
    This one friend came to high-school with me, she ended up finding other friends, which I tried to fit in with too, but I just felt left out.
    We don't talk anymore.
    I've developed anxiety, and I'm stuggling to talk to people. But when I try to think of why this may have happened I honestly can't come up with a reason, pretty much my whole life I've been like this.
    Even talking to my parents is a real struggle.
    What is wrong with me?!
    I hope this helps:

1) Relax, imagine you're just observing or there as a traveller. For example, if you are on holiday, you go there to experience and observe the attraction, you're not going to get anxious doing that are you?

2) Smile, smiling in contagious.

3) Be confident, respect yourself, accept yourself, work out, wear good clothes, feel good, focus on your passions, know you are a good person who treats people well, think positively, be proud of yourself, do things that make you happy, remember your happy times, what makes you confident? What makes you proud? Do you have a skill you are good at? Do things like cooking, driving, learning that increases your confidence daily.

Have good posture, body language, improve your appearance.

4) Dress well, have good grooming, hairstyle, have good posture.

5) Just say hi or hey to people in your vicinity, who cares if they don't say anything back?

6) Ask how they are, how's everything, what made them choose this course, their plans for the future, their plans for the rest of the day, weekend, how was their weekend, what they will get up to, what they got up to, ask them about their hobbies, talk about what's happening.

Talk about the weather or did you see that sports game? Just mingle with them,

Compliment them, say "I like your jacket".

If you know they went on a holiday or somewhere, ask them about it etc.

7) Be passionate about life.

8) Lighten up, have a laugh, laugh easily, be friendly, approachable, interested, relaxed.

9) Look outside!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.