Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

telling someone at work I have a MH condition - y/n? Watch

A couple of months ago, I got a job at a big company and I work mostly with a very friendly 60 year old lady doing admin stuff. 90% of the time it's just me and her in a room each on our computers for 8 hours 5 days a week. Other people come in and out occasionally. Anyway, I have been going to a lot of psychiatrist and psychologist appointments over the past couple of months and she's starting to ask a lot of questions. I told her I have a new medical concern (acid reflux) and they're doing tests but when it was 3 times last week it gets a little far fetched.

I don't know what to tell her, if to tell her anything. I know I don't need to and that really it's none of her business but it would make explaining easier. I also don't want her to think I'm skiving work and meeting friends or something.

To add to my dilemma, she has a serious physical illness and occasionally has doctor appointments. She told me a couple of weeks ago that she has considered suicide a lot over the past few years.

If you were in my situation would you tell your co worker why you disappear so often? If you were the co worker what would you think if someone told you they were seeing their psychiatrist?

From experience: no.

You're completely right - it's none of her business. I would draw a line to stop the questions - what you do in your free time is your business, it's nothing to do with work. You'd think these days with equality laws and people trying to push for more openness about MH that you would be able to be more open about certain issues at work - but there is still a massive prejudice.

Also I learnt quite early on that most people are just interested/curious - they don't actually care. I personally believe in protecting yourself by telling people on a need to know basis, not a want to know basis.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    From experience: no.

You're completely right - it's none of her business. I would draw a line to stop the questions - what you do in your free time is your business, it's nothing to do with work. You'd think these days with equality laws and people trying to push for more openness about MH that you would be able to be more open about certain issues at work - but there is still a massive prejudice.

Also I learnt quite early on that most people are just interested/curious - they don't actually care. I personally believe in protecting yourself by telling people on a need to know basis, not a want to know basis.
    Can I ask what prejudice you faced after telling the person?

The problem is that it's not entirely my "free time". My boss doesn't know anything either and he just told me to come in 30 minutes early if I need to leave for 30 minutes during the day. This is fine for the psychiatrist but for the psychologist, my appointments are 1 hr long so I come in 1 hr early, no one else is in and this person is always like you just left for ages how come - she doesn't realise I got there an hour early that day. But yes, none of her business and my boss is fine with it which is so great, though I do worry that he is going to start asking questions too if it keeps happening. Like how many doctor appointments can an outwardly healthy-looking 27 year old have?

Thank you for your reply.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I'd just say it's a private matter I'd rather not discuss.

It has nothing to do with her. It doesn't, from what you've said, impact on your work or your relationship with her, which is what I was expecting this thread to be about.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 15, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.