Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The ratio of black counters to red counters in a box is 3:4. After adding eight counters to the box the ratio is 3:5. How many counters were in the box at the beginning?
    Could somebody give me a way to get this started please? Sunday morning brain is not working!!

ReputationRep:
    the only thing I can think I that one ratio thing is worth 8 counters. therefore, if there are 3:4 to start with then in total there would be 7(because 3+4) x8 counters = 56. but the qn doesn't specify the colors of the counters added so I can't say for sure
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stupidanon)
    the only thing I can think I that one ratio thing is worth 8 counters. therefore, if there are 3:4 to start with then in total there would be 7(because 3+4) x8 counters = 56. but the qn doesn't specify the colors of the counters added so I can't say for sure
    I was thinking that because the "3" doesn't change and the other just increases by 1, then we find the LCM of 4, 5 and 8 (the eight because the 8 gets added on).

This is 40, which then means that the ration would become 24:40 (3 x 8, 5 x 8) and then take off the 8 that was added on it becomes 24:32 which then reduces to 3:4.I am not confident that this is not purely coincidental though.

ReputationRep:
    I got 56? My working is related to what you said kinda.

So the initial number of counters has to be divisible by 7 (X=7K), and number of counters plus eight has to be divisible by 8 (X+8=8C). Therefore (7k+8)/8 = a whole number. Therefore (7k/8)+1 = a whole number. K is therefore some multiple of 8, which if we try for K=8 works. (you get 24:32 and 24:40)

and then X=7K, so X = 56

ReputationRep:
    Also to eliminate other values of k, initial black counters (A) is (3X/7), and black counters + 8 counters is (3/8)*(X+8) (B). As you can't take counters away, B must be bigger or equal to A. (B>=A). Then if you do that inequality, you get 3>=(3X/56), or 3>=(21K/56), and therefore only K=8 works

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.